P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 05-05-02, 06:21 PM   #1
napho
Dawn's private genie

Default If the RIAA and the MPAA win

this is what we have to look forward to.

PeerGenius (PG) is an innovative media-sharing environment that allows copyright holders to track and manage digital content. File tracking is performed through a non-invasive technology called eDNA that uniquely identifies all condoned files. PeerGenius ensures that only approved files can be publicly shared by subscribers to the service. In other words, copyright holders can guarantee that only high-quality videos, music, and images will be provided to network subscribers.

http://www.peergenius.com/
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-02, 05:25 AM   #2
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

I've been waiting for someone smarter than I to comment on this thread....

....but since that hasn't happened yet, I'll throw a couple questions in: does this mean that mp3's from this service are useless elsewhere? and why would users migrate here from someplace like FastTrack, since I'm assuming there is a cost involved - for the quality of the tracks? and I was unable to find any reference to cd-burninig on their site - would it be allowed in this format (if format is the right word)?
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-02, 06:02 AM   #3
napho
Dawn's private genie

It looks like this format will be similar to the .nap thing that Napster is going for. I guess you'll be able to burn only if they find a way to make you pay first. These files usually can only be played a limited number of times. I think Morpheus mentioned 2 plays and that's it.
Great reasons to hope the industries involved lose the battle.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-02, 06:26 AM   #4
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by theknife
does this mean that mp3's from this service are useless elsewhere? and why would users migrate here from someplace like FastTrack, since I'm assuming there is a cost involved - for the quality of the tracks? and I was unable to find any reference to cd-burninig on their site - would it be allowed in this format (if format is the right word)?
Ok, here's what I figured out from their technical documentation:

Their content control is based on a list of allowed files (called 'whitelist') residing on their central servers. Only 'sanctioned' users with a special superclient version (read: Hilary Rosen & co) can add or remove files to/from this list, in other words decide what can be shared on the network. All download requests are fully controlled and initiated by the central servers in the old Napster fashion even if the downloads utilize FastTrack-like multisourcing. The files are identified by unique hash numbers so no renaming tricks will help to circumvent the system (like somebody would bother anyway ). With this arrangement there is no need to add any protective wrappers to the files themselves. mp3s approved for sharing will most likely be normal mp3s classified as free promotional material by the RIAA and what they try to do with PeerGenius is to distribute this stuff without costs using peer resources.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote