P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 02-05-02, 03:42 PM   #1
napho
Dawn's private genie

Puke There isn't much left of once powerful MusicCity

It needs an oxygen tent and life support systems now.

"By compiling and measuring data available publicly to P2P program users, Bailey said Kazaa on average had 1.4 million users logged on at any given time during April. That is a jump of 69 percent over February, when roughly 830,000 users were simultaneously logged onto Kazaa on average.

Meanwhile, usage of Morpheus, once the largest peer-to-peer network, has gone in the opposite direction, according to Bailey. In February, the Morpheus system had 1.08 million users simultaneously on average. By April, Morpheus usage had dropped by 70 percent."

StreamCast has no one to blame but themselves for this situation. Morpheus has become more of a "P2P clown" rather than a presence in the P2P community, as a P2P application like iMesh is taken more seriously. We've been promised Morpheus 2.0 for almost 2 months, however StreamCast continues to use an outdated Gnutella client. At the very least, StreamCast could have kept up with Gnucleus, and resolved many of the bandwidth issues that have been driving Morpheus users away. If StreamCast has any consideration for its employees or its future, they should upgrade their software or become a permanent joke of the P2P community.

http://www.slyck.com/newsmay2002/050202a.html
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-02, 05:18 PM   #2
JackSpratts

i don't think they actually have programmers per se, as an ongoing serious software company would. i think the scope of producing an in house app is beyond them. these guys always acted like marketers of someone else's products, and not the most responsive marketers at that. when the product was gone - so was their reason for being, in the consumers' eyes.

what amazes me are the steps they didn't take to protect themselves from the loss of ft. they could've had another app and a whole new ultra high speed proprietary network ready and waiting for roll-out if the day came when they needed it, with a million people and xmillion files eager to jump on. they could've cleanly broken from kazaa and gone independent and taking a page from ft, sold their code to other companies too. they coulda been a contender...

they knew this was coming but just watched as the business evaporated. there's a strange and wonderfull story there just waiting for someone to write.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-02, 05:31 PM   #3
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
they coulda been a contender...

- js.
...instead, they got a one-way ticket to Palookaville.

ok, so who can name the movie these two lines come from (besides you, Jack )?
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-02, 08:58 PM   #4
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
I coulda been a contender...

- js.
Instead I became Don Corleone...

The answer to theknife's question would be - On The Waterfront -
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-02, 09:19 PM   #5
PBR-Streetgang
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

After their big mistake by getting dumped by fastrack they made a huge mistake by cutting all the dialup users out of the loop by going Gnutella. They would of had much better luck with something like Filenavigator which has been known for licensing its software and has lived off of ads and popups for the longest out of any client.
But streamcast has its own get rich quick plan which seems to be working just great for them I'm just hope they handle personal finances much better
PBR-Streetgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-02, 09:57 PM   #6
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Originally posted by BuzzB2K

Instead I became Don Corleone...

The answer to theknife's question would be - On The Waterfront -
...and ultimately, an obscenely overweight Dr. Moreau....

But give that man a cigar.......

Quote:
It wasn't him, Charley! It was you. You remember that night in the Garden you came down to my dressing room and said: 'Kid, this ain't your night. We're going for the price on Wilson.' You remember that? 'This ain't your night.' My night! I coulda taken Wilson apart! So what happens? He gets the title shot outdoors in the ball park - and what do I get? A one-way ticket to Palookaville.
and.....

Quote:
You don't understand! I could've had class. I could've been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am.
On The Waterfront 1954
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-02, 02:38 PM   #7
nickroberts

"what amazes me are the steps they didn't take to protect themselves from the loss of ft. they could've had another app and a whole new ultra high speed proprietary network ready and waiting for roll-out if the day came when they needed it, with a million people and xmillion files eager to jump on. they could've cleanly broken from kazaa and gone independent and taking a page from ft, sold their code to other companies too. they coulda been a contender... "

Jack: You and I think alike my friend!

I am amazed by thier major tactical errors. You are right, they had plenty of time to hire some programmers who could have written another network and instantly had millions of people switch to it. It would have turned the p2p world upside down.

Instead they released some piece of garbage that even the original developer says is outdated. He's moved on to better versions, streamcast ripped off his old work.

Do you know what even amazes me more? (rant begin)

Does anyone remember that back in December they sent an e-mail to the user base inviting them to wait on Morpheus 2.0 which would be released in 2 weeks?

What happened to that version?

Where they actually working on it?

I think not. If they were, they would have been more prepared when they were kicked off the fasttrack network.

I agree, they have no programmers, now no users.

Napster was shut down by the RIAA
Morpheus was shut down by their own stupidity.

(Rant over)

Great Forum!
nickroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-02, 03:37 PM   #8
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

Quote:
Does anyone remember that back in December they sent an e-mail to the user base inviting them to wait on Morpheus 2.0 which would be released in 2 weeks?

What happened to that version?
the world may never know.....

sorry i can't give out any links other than teasers

just ignore me and my little screenshots too.
butterfly_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-02, 03:47 PM   #9
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

Default TEASER ONLY this does not exist

[just a joke] this is not a real screen shot....only a dream of what might have been and what could yet be.
butterfly_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote