P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 03-05-02, 08:02 PM   #1
JackSpratts

Default Study Says File Sharing Boosts Music Sales - RIAA Says The Survey Takers Are Liars

From The WalkTalker News - friday edition

By John Borland
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
Hundreds of millions of songs may illegally trade hands online every month, but file swapping may actually be causing people to spend more money on music, according to a new research report.
A study released this week by Jupiter Research reports that about 34 percent of veteran file swappers say they are spending more on music than they did before they started downloading files. About 14 percent of heavy file traders say they now spend less on music.
The findings, which are drawn from a survey of 3,319 people conducted last summer, are contrasted with claims from the record industry that file sharing and CD burning have been key contributors to a drop in major-label music sales in 2001.
http://news.com.com/2100-1023-898813.html?tag=cd_mh

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-02, 06:11 AM   #2
goldie
yea, it's me.

Angry

WHO are THEY calling liars??!!

THEY (IMHO) are the ones who are the biggest LIARS!!!

THEY are the grand manipulators of the real truth AND possess the mother of ALL track records to prove it!!

Jerks!!
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-02, 11:12 PM   #3
JackSpratts

my thoughts exactly gr.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-02, 11:25 PM   #4
schmooky007
hi

< insert breaking news music here >

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Internet users who download songs for free from unauthorized "peer to peer" services are more likely to increase their music purchases than regular Internet users, according to a report released on Friday.

While file-sharing services like Kazaa and Morpheus enable anyone with an Internet connection to access a huge library of music for free, experienced file sharers are more likely to actually increase the amount of money they spend on CDs, the report by research firm Jupiter Media Metrix said.

Thirty four percent of all peer-to-peer users said they spent more money on music than before they used such services, the report said, while 15 percent said they spent less. One-half said the amount of money they spent remained the same.

Online music fans who did not use file-sharing services were less likely to report increased spending. Nineteen percent said they spent more money on music, while 10 percent said they spent less and 71 percent said they spent the same amount.

Other technologies, such as recordable CD drives and high-speed Internet connections, had no impact on consumer spending, the report said.

Music companies say Internet piracy is partially responsible for a 5 percent drop in sales last year, and the industry has aggressively pursued file-sharing companies in court. Napster, the first such service, has been offline since last July as it struggles with a court order to keep copyrighted music off its system.

But the survey suggests that file sharing could provide a boost to the industry, said report author Aram Sinnreich.

"The Internet is the greatest thing that ever happened to the music industry, and they're just missing out on cashing in on it," Sinnreich told Reuters.

Peer-to-peer users tend to be avid music fans who already spend more money than average on music. Rather than shutting down peer-to-peer services, music companies should cultivate these fans, Sinnreich said.

A spokesman for the Recording Industry Association of America said Jupiter's findings conflicted with a survey that found Internet downloads did eat into music sales.

In a survey the trade group commissioned last year, 23 percent of respondents said that they did not spend more money on music because they could download it for free.

The five major recording companies -- Sony Music 6758.T , Warner Music AOL.N , EMI Group Plc EMI.L , Vivendi Universal EAUG.PA , and BMG BTGGga.D -- have introduced file sharing services of their own that, for a fee, allow users limited access to portions of their catalogs. So far, the services have met with limited success.

Some companies have turned to copy-protected CDs, which cannot be played on computers and some other devices. Universal is currently considering whether to release best-selling rap artist Eminem's new release in copy-protected form.

The report was based on a June 2001 survey of 1,911 online music fans, 305 of whom were experienced peer-to-peer users.
schmooky007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-02, 02:19 AM   #5
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

Even if CD sales actually declined....

What's the proof it was P2P sharing that did it?

How about the sagging economy? Is it reasonable that the recording industry be artificially protected from an economic recession that effects everyone else? I sure don't think so.

-or-

How about boycotting by music fans who don't like to be shagged? Lots of folks got pissed during the Napster ban-fests. Should the recording industry be artificially protected when they alienate their own customers? Again, I think not.

-or-

How about the new "protected" CD's that won't play in a computer CD drive? Such practice is common and it is clearly a fair (and lawful) use of the CD. I wouldn't buy CD's that wouldn't play.

Now those bastards even want tax money to aid the "fight against widespread piracy" - that they have yet to prove exists (to the extent claimed). It must be nice to whip up some ambitious sales figures and say "we should have made that much" and collusively confiscate that money. Now THAT'S piracy.

They are screwing themselves to oblivion (I hope).

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote