P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 03-05-02, 12:37 PM   #1
nickroberts

Default New Kazaa Cleaner Program

Kazaalite is a great program for those who want a 'spyware and ad free client.' However, there are millions of people using the official client and now there is a self contained cleaner program available.

It's called Kazaa Rebound. Download it at:

http://rebound.oursmallworld.org

The program will:

1. Remove the Cydoor Files removing all advertisements
2. Remove the bitrate limitation in the Official Client
3. Remove all traces of the Brilliant Digital Altnet
4. Removes the Shopping, Tell A Friend and Bonzi Buddy Icon

IMPORTANT NOTE: You might want to wait until Sunday May 5, 2002 to download this utility. The author has discovered that the updated official Brilliant Digital uninstaller DOES NOT remove all traces of the software despite official reports from Brilliant. He will be updating the software for a possible release on Sunday. I can tell you he is working very hard to perfect this release to include a comprehensive clean sweep of the registry and other files.

ALSO: He will also be adding another second patch which will restore the icons only for those who want the Cleaned program to look like the Official Client.

Last edited by nickroberts : 03-05-02 at 07:04 PM.
nickroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-02, 01:11 PM   #2
JackSpratts

good link nick.
i imagine it replaces the dlls with dummies, altho it doesn't specifically say so. otherwise no go. it alludes to this by noting "There is a possibility that some of the DLL's included with Kazaa have been changed, and these are not included in this package. Should work though." i wonder. it's a geat idea for those without the inclination or skill to do it themselves. i'd recommend it for families with kids who download everything - if it works. otherwise, do it yourself. you know what you're getting that way and there's some very bad apps hitchhiking along with our favorite p2p's now.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-02, 02:06 PM   #3
nickroberts

Thanks for the follow up Jack!

I did discover something.

It does indeed place the dummy CD_clint.dll file in the Kazaa directory but leaves the real CD_clint.dll file in the windows\system directory alone.

I deleted the one in the windows/system directory so I assume it uses the dummy one he installed in the kazaa directory. (I thought it looks for it in the kazza directory first and if it's not there searches for it in the windows\system directory.)

But as a precaution I am recommending to the author that he also drops the dummy dll file in the windows\system as a precaution.

He is taking time to really flush out the software so I am excited about his efforts!
Old 03-05-02, 03:33 PM   #4
Intimidated
Sir Share-a-lot

Lightbulb

Quote:
It does indeed place the dummy CD_clint.dll file in the Kazaa directory but leaves the real CD_clint.dll file in the windows\system directory alone.
Hello, thanks for the link to napsterites Nick! I am the author of the software mentioned. I would just like to mention the above..

I do not overwrite the cydoor DLL with the dummy one in the windows\system directory, because Kazaa is by no means the only piece of software which uses this DLL. The dummy DLL could (in theory) cause problems with other software which the user has installed (I will certainly build the option to overwrite the other one too).

Something which I have not addressed yet is the fact that the Cydoor component isn't just the DLL. It also has many registry entries, which need to be removed also.

I am currently updating the site, and I will add some recognition for the people who made the dummy dll (CEXX i think).

I do advise that even professionals use this software. Sure you can do it yourself, but it's a lot easier / quicker to download my software which will do the same job. It is a bit bugged for the time being, but i'll soon rectify this.

Oh, and what I meant about the Kazaa DLL's is.... If somebody who has an old version of Kazaa installs my patch (which is designed for the latest, lets presume), then usually just upgrading the EXE file (which my package contains) will also upgrade the application. But there is a chance that Kazaa have also updated the DLL's which come with the application, and I have not supplied them.

Thanks for reading!

Intimidated
Old 03-05-02, 05:26 PM   #5
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Quote:
Originally posted by Intimidated
Oh, and what I meant about the Kazaa DLL's is.... If somebody who has an old version of Kazaa installs my patch (which is designed for the latest, lets presume), then usually just upgrading the EXE file (which my package contains) will also upgrade the application. But there is a chance that Kazaa have also updated the DLL's which come with the application, and I have not supplied them.

Thanks for reading!

Intimidated
What other DLL's does KaZaA come with? I formerly used Morpheus & now use Grokster and I was not aware their were any other DLL's other then cd_clint which both Grokster and KaZaA use.
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-02, 05:57 PM   #6
HaXor
Convict: 1337

CD_CLINT.DLL
CD_GIF.DLL
CD_SWF.DLL

( For Those That Dont Know )

Also theres CD_LOAD.EXE

And dont forget ADCACHE

And to stop its self reinstalling, Find cd_install_***.exe (***=whatever version).

There are more, Alot More, but I cant think right now - but most know about them, if you dont, I will detail them (all) a bit more.

Old 03-05-02, 06:18 PM   #7
HaXor

RE: Intimidated

Its a small world

Maybe we can help each other out. you could be the missing piece to my puzzle. (well, your info).

If you got the time, email me Here We need to talk.

H@Xor

Old 03-05-02, 06:29 PM   #8
BuzzB2K

Quote:
Originally posted by HaXor
CD_CLINT.DLL
CD_GIF.DLL
CD_SWF.DLL

( For Those That Dont Know )

Also theres CD_LOAD.EXE

And dont forget ADCACHE

And to stop its self reinstalling, Find cd_install_***.exe (***=whatever version).

There are more, Alot More, but I cant think right now - but most know about them, if you dont, I will detail them (all) a bit more.

That's OK, I am happy with Grokster, I didn't realize KaZaA had all that extra crap with it...
Old 03-05-02, 06:47 PM   #9
HaXor

LoL,
Gorkster also use these files too, as they also use Cydoor. There aint no such thing as a free ride.

H@Xor

Old 03-05-02, 06:54 PM   #10
JackSpratts

welcome to napsterites intimidated thanks for posting. feel free to make nu a regular stop and keep us up to date with rebound.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-02, 07:19 PM   #11
BuzzB2K

Quote:
Originally posted by HaXor
LoL,
Gorkster also use these files too, as they also use Cydoor. There aint no such thing as a free ride.

H@Xor

I installed my grokster in Feb. & did have to re-clean when I updated to 1.5.1

Besides the cd_clint.dll I had:

cd_htm.dll & cd_install270a.exe

And the Adcache Folder of course!

But not those others, and for sure no BDE to deal with (or Bonzi)

But I thought Intimidated was saying that KaZaA had DLL's - that stuff isn't theirs...
Old 03-05-02, 07:38 PM   #12
HaXor

Yep your right, gorkstor uses no bde'S (YET),, I was just making reference to all that "cydoor" shit that gets installed WITH kazaa, and recently gorkster.

Kazaa uses NO dll's (exept system dll's), I think "Intimidated" was refering to Cd_Clint and maybe the other "cydoor"dll's.

H@Xor

Old 03-05-02, 07:49 PM   #13
BuzzB2K

Apparently they have "Improved" Cydoor since I first installed Grokster - lol

I did have BDE at one time, back with the original Morpheus. But I dealt with it last fall... And I had know idea at the time what it was... I just knew it wasn't really needed.
Old 04-05-02, 04:53 PM   #14
Intimidated
Sir Share-a-lot

Quote:
Originally posted by BuzzB2K
I did have BDE at one time, back with the original Morpheus. But I dealt with it last fall... And I had know idea at the time what it was... I just knew it wasn't really needed.
Did Morph come with the BDE software too? I wasn't aware of this. Anyhoo, after doing a dependancy walk on Kazaa.exe I realise that there aren't actually any other DLL's that come with Kaz/Grok other than the CD_*.*'s. Sorry to cause confusion, I was just guessing that Kazaa had some associated DLL's as it's rare to find an application that doesn't

[quote]By JackSpratts welcome to napsterites intimidated.. ... .... . .etc

Thanks for the welcome. I'll sure stop by from time to time to see if I can help! Oh - while i'm here, I'm trying to find some people willing to mirror my rebound site (which i'm re-designing right now). Due to the .. umm.. "sensitive" nature of what I'm doing my ISP might have second thoughts... Any help would be appreciated.

- Intimidated
Old 04-05-02, 05:41 PM   #15
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

Quote:
IMPORTANT NOTE: You might want to wait until Sunday May 5, 2002 to download this utility. The author has discovered that the updated official Brilliant Digital uninstaller DOES NOT remove all traces of the software despite official reports from Brilliant.
lol, they are not exactly known for being forthright now are they?

hehe...p.s. if you think somebody is a crook or up to no good

never take their word for it that what they say it does -- does

but at least you learned not to be so trusting and that my friend

is necessary habit to be in. question everything and accept

nothing blindly.

butterfly_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-02, 11:48 PM   #16
BuzzB2K

Quote:
Originally posted by Intimidated

Did Morph come with the BDE software too? I wasn't aware of this.
- Intimidated
Brilliant provided the installation file for the Morpheus 1.3.3 client (Morpheus-b3d-v2.exe & morpheus-b3d-v14.exe) and also installed itself without a word.
Old 07-05-02, 09:13 AM   #17
nickroberts

Version 161b has been released and the site has been completely redesigned. Check out:

http://rebound.oursmallworld.org
Old 08-05-02, 07:01 PM   #18
Intimidated
Sir Share-a-lot

Crazy Thanks!

Hello! I'm the author, and i'd just like to express my grattitude to everybody. I'm amazed at how popular my site has become!

We reached 3,000 hits in 24 hours - and over 2,000 downloads in... 27 hours

We've now got a forum on the site, so do come along and drop some comments in!

Cheers again!

Intimidated