P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 25-04-02, 03:08 PM   #1
napho
Dawn's private genie

Lightbulb If you want to make your own P2P proggie

Freenet is a place to start.

http://thalassocracy.org/libfreenet/
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-02, 03:37 PM   #2
pod
Bumbling idiot

FreeNet is overkill for a P2P. It just has way too much network infrastructure overhead. And I don't think FreeNet will ever have a search function. If you want to write your own P2P, look at Gnucleus source, or other Gnutella clients.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-02, 04:20 PM   #3
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

Thank-you both for the good information. I would like very much to do just that however without have a centralised server for a short time as I'm very certain some other more popular clients did when they first started out I think it would be very hard to get a new client off the ground because in order to have a good client you need many things 1)scalability 2)ease of use 3)attractive interface 4)guaranteed downloads 5)upload/dowload bandwidth limits 6) a way to guarantee sharing and some form of a chat interface i think is essential.

Now then given my very meager requirements I have been looking at the existing software already on the market. WinMX was too complicated for me...too many bells and whistles...Edonkey I could never get to connect even with the bot.

Bearshare i don't remember the reason for it but I did not like it.

Xolox is a very barebones and basic p2p client. Bottom line it worked/works it has ultrapeers and I get the files I want it is to me the best of the Gnucleus clients that I've tried...maybe I should reiterate I'm on dial-up 56k modem so I am looking for a p2p program that can accomodate both broadband users and lowe bandwidth users like myself.

For that the Fasttrack clients: Grokster and Morpheus are great for that Example when I was on cable connection I used to be able to get downloads at 240kb/sec for moviess.

Now I can still get movies but it takes 48 consecutive hours or if you split it up over the course of 8hrs say turn your p2p proggie on at night and run it for eight hours i can get a 600mb movie over the course of 6days....not bad when you consider its still in theatres and will be a long time before its available to me in a videostore.

So what I'm doing now is trying my best to study and learn from reverse engineering different fasttrack clients to see what makes them tick...it is a very monumental task and one that I totally enjoy and it fascinates me very much.

I have much to learn

Here is one thing that interests me: 1)the rumour before Morpheus (Musiccity) was shut off of the Fasttrack network for bills not being paid that they would introduce a client that would work with both Fasttrack and Gnucleus

Am I wrong or does Imesh not do this now?

So it makes me wonder....why don't they (IMesh) tought (brag about or discuss this more) than they do?

It looks like that would make them very popular indeed.

My question to the board is this: Why isn't Imesh more popular than it is or why doesn't it take on the same mystique as say the much anticipated but now abandoned Morpheus 2.0

Thank-you for listening (hope i did not stray too far off topic)

-Harby
(the wonder boy!)

butterfly_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-02, 04:47 PM   #4
napho
Dawn's private genie

Quote:
[i]Here is one thing that interests me: 1)the rumour before Morpheus (Musiccity) was shut off of the Fasttrack network for bills not being paid that they would introduce a client that would work with both Fasttrack and Gnucleus

So it makes me wonder....why don't they (IMesh) tought (brag about or discuss this more) than they do?

My question to the board is this: Why isn't Imesh more popular than it is or why doesn't it take on the same mystique as say the much anticipated but now abandoned Morpheus 2.0

-Harby
(the wonder boy!)

[/b]
Imesh has it's own network but also has some kind of link to FastTrack. I think it uses FT to speed up it's downloads because when it develops momentum the speeds can go from 30k/sec to 200k. It has to be getting new sources from FastTrack. And it's not hooked up to Gnutella.
Imesh looked like it was going to be the next big thing but their V2 sucked and they went from 150,000 users down to 50,000 before V3 saved them.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-02, 04:50 PM   #5
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

Very Angry

Thought this thread was about something secret

*whew*
Old 25-04-02, 05:16 PM   #6
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

Thanks for the clarification Napho that does answer some questions for me

re: Dawn? secrets? There can be no secrets on a messageboard.

Greetings to both Dawn and Napho
Old 25-04-02, 05:21 PM   #7
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

Hello to you too.

And secrets remain just that. A secret.
Old 25-04-02, 05:35 PM   #8
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawn
And secrets remain just that. A secret.
Does this mean that you are still not going to disclose any details of your coming p2p client, Dawn?

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-02, 05:38 PM   #9
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

Oh TG, its already online.
Old 28-04-02, 12:55 AM   #10
multi
Thanks for being with arse

shhhhhhhh!

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-02, 12:36 AM   #11
mummyman

Brows Reverse engineering FastTrack

I'm also trying to reverse engineer a FastTrack client. Does anyone know how I can monitor the messages to/from my client to the network (i.e., search requests/responses, super-node traffic, etc.)? Is there anything better on this than the "Out of the Underworld" article at openp2p.com? Has anybody here created their own client for the FastTrack network? Who is wise in these things and how did they become so? Anybody want to team up?

Quote:
Originally posted by Harbynger
Thank-you both for the good information. I would like very much to do just that however without have a centralised server for a short time as I'm very certain some other more popular clients did when they first started out I think it would be very hard to get a new client off the ground because in order to have a good client you need many things 1)scalability 2)ease of use 3)attractive interface 4)guaranteed downloads 5)upload/dowload bandwidth limits 6) a way to guarantee sharing and some form of a chat interface i think is essential.

Now then given my very meager requirements I have been looking at the existing software already on the market. WinMX was too complicated for me...too many bells and whistles...Edonkey I could never get to connect even with the bot.

Bearshare i don't remember the reason for it but I did not like it.

Xolox is a very barebones and basic p2p client. Bottom line it worked/works it has ultrapeers and I get the files I want it is to me the best of the Gnucleus clients that I've tried...maybe I should reiterate I'm on dial-up 56k modem so I am looking for a p2p program that can accomodate both broadband users and lowe bandwidth users like myself.

For that the Fasttrack clients: Grokster and Morpheus are great for that Example when I was on cable connection I used to be able to get downloads at 240kb/sec for moviess.

Now I can still get movies but it takes 48 consecutive hours or if you split it up over the course of 8hrs say turn your p2p proggie on at night and run it for eight hours i can get a 600mb movie over the course of 6days....not bad when you consider its still in theatres and will be a long time before its available to me in a videostore.

So what I'm doing now is trying my best to study and learn from reverse engineering different fasttrack clients to see what makes them tick...it is a very monumental task and one that I totally enjoy and it fascinates me very much.

I have much to learn

Here is one thing that interests me: 1)the rumour before Morpheus (Musiccity) was shut off of the Fasttrack network for bills not being paid that they would introduce a client that would work with both Fasttrack and Gnucleus

-Harby
(the wonder boy!)

Old 02-05-02, 01:06 AM   #12
JackSpratts

hello there mummyman, welcome to nu i think you'll find a few answers here.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-02, 12:32 PM   #13
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

Hi, mummyman and welcome to NU

i've heard people (a real hacker) and someone who reversed

engineered the Napster protocol see this link http://david.weekly.org/code/napster.php3

swear up and down about a program called NetBoy 3 it was

what the guy who reversed napster used....

however for me a poor dial-up user running windows 98 I have

found the best thing since linux

its called WinPCap and Ethereal it works great for dialup users

here is a link:
http://www.ethereal.com/
Old 03-05-02, 09:50 AM   #14
twinspan
- a rascal -

Location: for security reasons, never the same as the President's
Default they're out to get us

after reading this report by an e-commerce consultancy on how record/movie companies can fight/co-opt filesharing (mentioned at Zeropaid) , I'm feeling even more paranoid than usual, especially about how easy it is for anyone to do an IP trace on you if they d/l from you (remember Bronxie & Korn?), and so I've been looking into Freenet again.

Freenet (home zeropaid) doesn't do IP bouncing yet it seems, but they can't show you even knew that copyrighted material was being shared from your PC.

Re searching for files on Freenet, Frost (home zeropaid) or Espra (home zeropaid) can do that apparently.

And you can even set up an invulnerable 'Web' site on Freenet using FreeWeb (ISPs & webhosts just roll over whenever some company sends them a threat letter; no worries there with Freenet & FreeWeb)

PS heard Filetopia already has IP bouncing, anyone using it?

PPS in case that consultancy takes down the report (2.2MB PDF), I'm sharing it on FastTrack. Use Sig2dat 3.8a and copy/paste the text below into it:

File: innovation_copyright.pdf
Length: 2161736 Bytes, 2111KB
UUHash: =8Fk5qqGeXsr6vGKKudpBWuJjwkc=

Last edited by twinspan : 04-05-02 at 07:38 AM.
twinspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-02, 10:28 AM   #15
indiana_jones
B2B Protagonist ... Life is ... Bubble to Bubble ... Beer to Beer ... love a VLAIBB (Very Lonesome Artificial Intelligence Brained Bubble) @ http://www.geocities.com/vlaibb vlaibb@yahoo.com

hey twinspan

the forum entered some weird "<br />" into the quicklink - so it doesn't work, maybe you can correct this
thanks
indy
UUHash:=1LDYkHDl65OprVz37xN1VSo9b00=

Copy the lines above and use 'Paste from Clipboard' function of
sig2dat 3.11.a (supports quicklinks) to create a startfile for your FastTrack p2p client for safe download

indiana_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-02, 07:43 AM   #16
twinspan
- a rascal -

Location: for security reasons, never the same as the President's

Quote:
Originally posted by indiana_jones
the forum entered some weird "<br />" into the quicklink - so it doesn't work, maybe you can correct this
Thanks for pointing that out, Indy.

However when I went to edit, there was no odd %BR etc inserted in the link URL in the editing window, just the pure sig.

I didn't know how to correct something that's present in the displayed message but doesn't appear in the editing window, so I've just replaced it with a regular text hash.
twinspan is offline   Reply With Quote