P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 02-05-02, 05:38 PM   #1
HaXor
Convict: 1337

Default BDE - good or bad?

BDE is it good or bad?

Ok maybe in the way it is distributed now its BAD......... but you must admire the code behind it.
so maybe if we hacked this code, changed it a little...... do you think this could be a NEW p2p app - think of it, No Central Server - we would ALL be servers
Anyway I dxo not know much about this, or looked into this, It was just a thought.

H@Xor

Old 02-05-02, 07:30 PM   #2
ssj4_android
Redefining Reality

Yeah, the way it's distributed makes it bad. If you were guarenteed incentives, it might be just a little bit better. And if they distributed it non-viraly. :P
ssj4_android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-02, 08:28 PM   #3
napho
Dawn's private genie

If you think about it people are ticked because AltNet would take a piece of their bandwidth: however when you function as a supernode or when you share while you sleep you're also giving up a piece. Additionally programs like XoloX and WinMX use alot of your resources just to keep the network functioning, check out the activity with XoloX even when there aren't any dls or uls. We make those small sacrifices to keep P2P going; perhaps AltNet like add-ons are also going to be necessary in the future to keep all this going. These guys have to generate $ somehow. Needless to say the way these jerkoffs went about it behind ppl's backs sucks.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-02, 10:38 PM   #4
HAL9000

Just leave AltNet as is and distribute it more, so I could use it later on.
HAL9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-02, 11:19 AM   #5
pod
Bumbling idiot

I don't think the code is particularly brilliant. It's essentially an auto-updating program, as idea which has been around for years. What is interesting is what it implements... and how it came in under everyone's radar. Normally, apps will update themselves with better and fixed functions, but BDE has the ability to become something totally different, and I don't think that's been done before.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-02, 07:15 PM   #6
HaXor
Convict: 1337

I was just thinking of "Implementing" this code into a new p2p app that im working on. But not as a "BDE" youy see today, but more of a benifit, for the P2P network.
You see, as I started this Project, I thought that BDE was bad, but during the course and after studying BDE, I hase began to admire BDE... but not the code its got today, but what its capable of.
If it is hacked, then Im sure, we could implement it into a P2P, that will use no central sever, just use every online client to produce a P2P that could never be closed down.

Someone releases the ball, and the ball keeps rolling.

H@Xor