P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 18-04-01, 06:27 AM   #21
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

I agree with Maze: The Underground sounds cool and covers pretty much anything so there is no need to change it.

As for this forum, how about: From Peer To Peer. That would capture something of the community spirit and still not be limited exclusively to the idea of software but rather to the ideas of communication and sharing between equal individuals.

We could complement that with a more descriptive subtitle later on when the forum finds it more permanent form.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-01, 08:51 AM   #22
Sinner
--------------------

Quote:
Originally posted by HellBound
I mean if someone doesnt want to post..why even read the thread?....and why post and say...i dont want to reply to this cause it might start something....give me a break...if you cant handle people giving another opinion..why are you on a forum with people that are different then you?...why not go to a forum that everyone has the same opinion you have?...but then..that would be just a little boring wouldnt it.

On a forum you are always going to have someone that likes to cause problems, but that is what makes everything interesting...and you always have the option of not answering a post you dont want to...whether its someone flaming you...or a post you dont want to answer....

Just my opinion...

HellBound

And a good opinion, but that doesn't work here, Expressing my opinion is what got me banned, If you searched all my post under GladHeAteHer on this forum you would find I flamed two people, and they were the ones that brought it on. I am blunt, I don't want the run around, I want answers, so some think I come accross mean, but, if you stop and think about it I really don't.

Of course the Mods will say I was banned because I posted under the name Timophy. I never flamed under the name or even discussed what he did. People were offended and I was banned, I am still being oppressed by the mods here. No one here at my place of business or home can create a Nick to post at these forums, because the Mods won't let them.

Well you know what they say, if you stick your head out of the crowd you are going to get hit with a tomato.

History as taught us that when you go against the masses, they try to destroy you, ex. People thought the Bros. where crazy to try to fly, Bell with the phone, oh he is nuts, even when computers came on the market there was a great fear in the masses, anyway this is alot of blah...blah...blah...bottom line is people fear change, and radical thinking, even if for the good.

Last edited by Sinner : 18-04-01 at 09:31 AM.
Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-01, 09:46 AM   #23
gazdet
.- -.. -- .. -.

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl
I agree with Maze: The Underground sounds cool and covers pretty much anything so there is no need to change it.

As for this forum, how about: From Peer To Peer. That would capture something of the community spirit and still not be limited exclusively to the idea of software but rather to the ideas of communication and sharing between equal individuals.

We could complement that with a more descriptive subtitle later on when the forum finds it more permanent form.

- tg
Some good name suggestions by all...

We'll go with From Peer to Peer and see if it fits the way it runs.
gazdet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-01, 11:37 AM   #24
HellBound

Quote:
Originally posted by Metal Girl
I can accept differing opinions, it's snotty remarks like that that piss me off. Just like I said.

edit...typo
Now before you accuse me of flaming you, you are not the only person that said they didnt want to post to that thread...and I wasnt just talking about the attention span thread....

I still stand by MY OPINION...that there are two sides to an arguement...if you don't want to argue with someone...dont, if they wont leave you alone...ignore them or just dont read their post.

As as for my remark being snotty..that is your opinion..not mine...I was stating my view on the forum being split.

HellBound
Old 18-04-01, 01:15 PM   #25
Maze
Rebel With A Cause

Yes! From Peer to Peer works extremely well! I like it!

How about:

Peer to Peer Technology
File Transference/Software Development

I would leave off the "From" ...I mean, that's a given ...and is more concise and to the point. "Peer to Peer" implys intimacy, and "Technology" speaks for itself and sets the tone.
Maze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-01, 03:32 PM   #26
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Another suggestion:

Peer to Peer
- sharing ideas and information
on 3rd millennium technology

I agree with Maze about dropping the 'From' away from the main title - Peer to Peer really sounds more concise and to the point. I wouldn't add 'Technology' into the main title though as that would create an impression of narrowly technology-oriented forum. Without any limiting definitions 'Peer to Peer' covers the whole idea of decentralized digital communication in its technical, social and experiential dimensions - what a wonderful and inspiring field for intelligent discussion!

The proposed subtitle is deliberately more tech-oriented to give the forum a broad technological bias and direction. The steady background of day-to-day software discussion should provide the forum with a healthy continuity and make it interesting enough to check on a regular basis. From that living and pulsating background could then arise the more inspiring threads that at times thrill our brain and widen our doors of perception.

- tg
Old 18-04-01, 08:13 PM   #27
gazdet
.- -.. -- .. -.

Good suggestions all round.

I think just Peer to Peer sums the whole area up.

Do you think we need to clearly define the nature of why this area was put together in the first place in the header?

A big part of formating this area is to keep the off topic small talk out of the Threads.

In the main Underground area, the threads take on their own feel depending on peoples mood/opinion or interaction with other members despite the topic.

This area by it's very nature should be clearly defined as strictly for "on topic" discussion.

If this doesn't occur....we are going to have people jumping in offering off topic opinions, flaming and or changing the Topic as they would in the Underground and the whole purpose of the forum is lost.

Do you think under the title heading it should clearly state the "guidelines" for participating in Topics within this particular area?

I can always do an "announcement" in this forum, however these dont always get read by the casual "browser".

This area would need to be heavily moderated to even stop "off topic" digression anyway.

Perhaps it may call for a specific Moderator to look after this Forum too.

I'll let you think about it.
Old 18-04-01, 08:18 PM   #28
Malk-a-mite

Quote:
Do you think under the title heading it should clearly state the "guidelines" for participating in Topics within this particular area?
Isn't it amusing we need to request respect from the forum? :)

Yes guidelines would be a good idea - at least until the forum itself has aged a little. After some time the members should be able to be the guidelines themselves (I hope) and misdirected posts will be helped back on track or in the possiblity of flames, ingored outright.
===================
Malk-a-mite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-01, 08:32 PM   #29
gazdet
.- -.. -- .. -.

Quote:
Originally posted by Malk-a-mite

Isn't it amusing we need to request respect from the forum?

Yes guidelines would be a good idea - at least until the forum itself has aged a little. After some time the members should be able to be the guidelines themselves (I hope) and misdirected posts will be helped back on track or in the possiblity of flames, ingored outright.
lol amusing yes, but it's the nature of the dynamics in the people we have here.... like TG pointed out.. the Underground is a common area, noisey and bussling etc.

That's a great environment to have and I certainly wouldn't want to see that free opinion and diversity change.....It's what people do together and that's what makes it so much fun and diversified.

I dont think it's so much a "respect" issue, more that this area should be used, by it's very nature, as a "Committee room" to discuss specific points and topics and to stay on those topics.

Members who come in here should know full well that any off topic comments will be removed and or moderated and therefore not have cause tocry "censorship" for stating any off topic point.

This would also have to be fairly administered, so it will be a tough call to Moderate.

That is, if you wish to go that way. it's ur call
Old 18-04-01, 11:10 PM   #30
Maze
Rebel With A Cause

Weeeeeeeeee.... Tanked is so right... Peer to Peer pure & simple. Can ya see how TG & I are bouncing off each other till the right thing happens? I love it. Her subtitle seems perfect too. Now if we can get these preliminaries taken care of ...it's down to biz. TG...she stole me heart.
Old 19-04-01, 12:09 AM   #31
Maze
Rebel With A Cause

Quote:
Sharing information on 3rd millennium technology and issues
Nope... just had a good look at it as I came to this board ...still too intimadating ...& long.
"Sharing information on" is still a given... & sounds like the old nappy board...

issues? please... I don't want any more issues in my life ...drop it...
Quote:
The 3rd millenium technology!
Now that's the way it should be ...notice the The ...as if there is no other ...hehe

and the exclamation point will no doubt turn Esteeaz on. Just playing ...but that's the way to make it a little more inviting.

PS: I miss you Gaz... I know you have your hands full...
Old 19-04-01, 01:11 AM   #32
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Yep! "The 3rd millennium technology!" sounds great!
It looks like we have it...

- tg
Old 19-04-01, 10:49 AM   #33
rebel_mom
who's line is it anyways?

well one of the ones less likely to comment to "content"posts this is my thoughts on some but not all topics........

1:When a thread starts for those with an attention span weather meant to or not it reads like"not for you idiot"
an open invitation for me to see if I have an attention span........

2:Although annoying to some of the threads I have started are just corny and stupid to get some activity going and chill a bit.

3:I really like to learn graphics and share them and although a differant content alot time thought ans effort goes into those posts/threads.

4:If separate title will mean "content" threads will be read more nly time will tell, I say yes because in a seperate space of it's own it will not get buried as the forum is building up great which was the goal.

5:"Content" posts do require more thought and reading and therefore I bypass some saying i will go back and check it out but by that time it is off the front page and I forget about it in this space this will not happen.

As for respect well to me that is a given one must give respect to recieve respect no matter what it is you are doing......because a face and voice is not attached to the words does not alter the fact that their is a human being behind these words not a machine
rebel_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-01, 11:40 AM   #34
Malk-a-mite

Quote:
Originally posted by rebel_mom
When a thread starts for those with an attention span weather meant to or not it reads like"not for you idiot" an open invitation for me to see if I have an attention span........
As is all to often a problem here - too much is being read into the parts I don't want people to and not enough being read into others. I take that as my fault being the one trying to pass on ideas in a written medium. I shall try harder to be more clear.

As for the now infamous Attention Span thread, it was so labeled due to that fact it was primarily a link to a much longer piece and a week old discussion that had taken (and was still ongoing) at another site. An attention span was needed to go there, read thru, and them report back your fellings and ideas - as it was many just posted off the 2 paragraphs of the opening I posted. There were a few very well done exceptions, as always.

Quote:
2:Although annoying to some of the threads I have started are just corny and stupid to get some activity going and chill a bit.
And there is nothing wrong with those. The problem enters when someone takes a "non-corny" thread and decides to "chill" it a bit. Does that make sense?

Quote:
3:I really like to learn graphics and share them and although a differant content alot time though and effort goes into those posts/threads.
Content = effort
No matter what the medium. Good luck on the graphics.
Quote:
4:If separate title will mean "content" threads will be read more only time will tell, I say yes because in a seperate space of it's own it will not get buried as the forum is building up great which was the goal.
My fear is the large group of people won't visit the other wing of the foum to see them. The only people posting will be ones seeking out less fluff, and in so we lose a good group of people. But as for now it's the best solution we have.

Quote:
5:"Content" posts do require more thought and reading and therefore I bypass some saying i will go back and check it out but by that time it is off the front page and I forget about it in this space this will not happen.
Good point.
Quote:

As for respect well to me that is a given one must give respect to recieve respect no matter what it is you are doing......because a face and voice is not attached to the words does not alter the fact that their is a human being behind these words not a machine:)
Respect can only be given once it is earned. :)

The words are just that words - once you have put them out in the world thru speech, writting, or posting the words are on their own. They must stand against hate, intolerence, and distrust. The words will be attacked, defended, and used for purposes other than which they were intended. The human behind the words must trust that they have choosen the correct group of words to define the ideas in which you are trying to reach a group of people with.

:)
===================

Last edited by Malk-a-mite : 19-04-01 at 11:40 AM.
Malk-a-mite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-01, 01:21 PM   #35
rebel_mom
who's line is it anyways?

Very good Malk but a small contradiction in one area.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As is all to often a problem here - too much is being read into the parts I don't want people to and not enough being read into others. I take that as my fault being the one trying to pass on ideas in a written medium. I shall try harder to be more clear.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The words are just that words - once you have put them out in the world thru speech, writting, or posting the words are on their own. They must stand against hate, intolerence, and distrust. The words will be attacked, defended, and used for purposes other than which they were intended. The human behind the words must trust that they have choosen the correct group of words to define the ideas in which you are trying to reach a group of people with.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that it is hard to always put out words in certain matters to percieved as intended.

All to often words and thoughts thru words given to ten people to read not one will interpret them the same way.

But then again that is just my take on it ......bottom line you deserve to have your posts where you want them not where I want them and that is up to you where you put them
rebel_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-01, 01:23 PM   #36
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

Somehow I managed to miss this when it was originally posted in the Underground forum. Shame on me, I suppose.

Ah yes, growing pains. This is a very good discussion and I am glad to see it happening.

I was briefly confused by "Peer to Peer" by itself, as I connected it with peer-to-peer file sharing software. Reading TG's post clarified it for me. I still like the title, the subtitle would help.

Nothing wrong with creating additional forum areas.

I want to make sure I understand the plan so far:

1. Create all threads in the Underground Forum.
2. Underground is the main discussion area for threads.
3. Move the threads to other forum areas as appropriate, at conclusion of discussion.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think general guidelines for each area are a good idea.

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-01, 03:14 PM   #37
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Drakonix
I want to make sure I understand the plan so far:

1. Create all threads in the Underground Forum.
2. Underground is the main discussion area for threads.
3. Move the threads to other forum areas as appropriate, at conclusion of discussion.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think general guidelines for each area are a good idea.
This forum is an open experiment so these are just my personal views on how this could work best:

1. There is no need to post first on The Underground if the poster feels that his/her post fits better into Peer To Peer. This is not a 'storage area' for cooled down threads but rather an area dedicated to more focused on-topic discussion without the high-volume personal chit-chat pushing the active topics out from the front page. I myself will probably post my more 'serious' essays directly in here.

2. The main discussion area for each thread is naturally the forum on which it is posted. When the Napsterites learn what sort of material is being posted in here, they will learn to check also Peer to Peer now and then and take part in the discussion as they are moved to.

3. Moving threads between forums should not be a standard practice as it is always a slight distraction for those looking for the thread that has been moved (it is a good idea to leave a link for the thread to the original forum). But moving a thread can be useful, especially if one makes a substantial post first onto The Underground and then finds out that the post does not get the sort of attention it deserves. As we are still quite a small community, good threads should not need much bumping in Peer to Peer - even slow-pace discussion will keep them alive and visible as long as there is something to discuss about them.

- tg
Old 19-04-01, 05:43 PM   #38
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

Thanks for the clarification, TG.

Confusion caused by moving posts from one forum to another was one of my concerns. For those threads that are moved, the link Gaz mentioned should do nicely.

I misread stuff the first time through - that's what I get for trying to read while half asleep.

I think Peer to Peer will be a good addition to the Forum.

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-01, 10:22 AM   #39
jonno1066
Weight Watchers - Look Out

Default Smilies and Sigs

Hi Guys

I like the idea of a seperate forum for SERIOUS topics with little or No flaming but I would suggest the limit of smilies and sigs to a minimum.

I use smilies and sigs when I am having FUN but if I am being serious I limit smilies and don't use a sig

Food for thought

JONNO
jonno1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-01, 02:25 AM   #40
Cash--
$¢$¢¢$

I just thought Id put my 2 ¢ in.
(even if it is mostly paraphrasing what has already been said(

I like the idea of a place where posts stay on topic.
I like it a bunch!

Im glad to see gaz's announcement at the top.

Yessir, I like it!

In fact...I would almost like to see that happen in the underground........(pipe dream...I know)
Really it is just common courtesy, if ya post under a topic started by someone else about apples........you shouldn't go talkin about oranges. {I have been guilty of posting off topic...but hey no-one is perfect!}
I know alot of ppl would disagree with that..(meaning in the underground)..but it would be nice.

One more thing
The other thing about this side of the forum....Hopefully it will be a bit less drama filled, If I wanted drama...Id go back to highschool....or watch soaps!
I think this will become a nifty place...The bread and butter of the fourm!---I don't mean that in a seperatist way, Just think it will be nice to get away from silly stupid name calling matches and the like!

I think it was and is a GREAT idea.
Cash-- is offline   Reply With Quote