P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 15-06-01, 03:43 PM   #21
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-01, 08:27 AM   #22
JackSpratts

Default Re: Have you Stopped Using Napster?

Quote:
Originally posted by Gothic_Rey_Mysterio
Yes,I stoped Using Napster this Week. I want to Hear Peoples opinions on thier Current File-Sharing Program To Help Me and other Users decide which to try and maybe Keep as thier future File-Sharing Program.
Thanks to all that reply.
Jack Rates His Current Clients:

1). Winmx......(best interface, u/ls & controls but d/ls iffy)

2). Morpheus..(best d/ls but returns sparse with poor u/ls, interface, controls & player)

3). Gnucleus...(best gnutella scheme with huge returns but high bandwidth user while idling)

4). Bear/Lime..(tricky & slow but can be usefull - use ad-aware to remove spyware from bear)

5). Napster.....(still need it - fast fast fast)
Old 18-06-01, 11:14 AM   #23
shelby

poop
Old 18-06-01, 11:14 AM   #24
shelby

i use morpheus and audiogalaxy.

both on a dial up connection.

i think they both have about the same number of shared files, but if i had broadband i would use morpheus because some people share .wav files of songs (which <i>should</i> sound better than a .mp3.
Old 24-06-01, 01:49 AM   #25
assorted
WAH!

my current p2p habits....

1) <a href="http://www.mirc.com">irc</a> (specifically undernet; #mp3passion) - the only way to go for prerelease and new full albums.

2) <a href="http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucleus">gnucleus</a> - my preferred client for 24/7 serving for a variety of reasons and features; but i admit i rarely download with it.

3) <a href="http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-1896420-100-5590701.html?tag=st.dl.10001-103-1.lst-7-1.5590701">morpheus</a>/<a href="http://www.winmx.com/">winmx</a> - what i have to use right now for back catalogue stuff when i need it; i just don't like winmx and morpheus; it's obvious they are gonna bust out a for profit model sooner or later that will screw the users so i'm not bothering sharing on their systems.

i've taken audiognome, napster, and bearshare off my system for different reasons. i'd love to serve on morpheus but the memory leak kinda nips that in the bud. i'm keeping my ears open for when it's fixed.

many folks love <a href="http://www.forteinc.com/agent/freagent.htm">usenet</a> still for mp3s; i'm not one of them but if your not familiar with it you should give it a try just to know what it's all about.
Old 25-06-01, 10:44 AM   #26
relic
gone for good

I have now stopped using it because they just came out with v 2 beta 10.3 and have disabled use of older versions...which means beta 5 no longer works . Napster was excellent while it lasted.
relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-01, 11:01 AM   #27
zombywoof

Quote:
Originally posted by aaacbada
I have now stopped using it because they just came out with v 2 beta 10.3 and have disabled use of older versions...which means beta 5 no longer works . Napster was excellent while it lasted.
However, if you still use napigator to access the opennap servers, beta 5 will work just fine.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-01, 11:13 AM   #28
relic
gone for good

Quote:
Originally posted by oscar

However, if you still use napigator to access the opennap servers, beta 5 will work just fine.
yes that is what I am doing now hehe

I also have gotten info regarding exe manipulating from a 'certain' person from these boards. Thanks again 'person'
Old 25-06-01, 11:26 AM   #29
zombywoof

Quote:

I also have gotten info regarding exe manipulating from a 'certain' person from these boards. Thanks again 'person'
What do you mean by exe manipulation 3A? Is it something like incorporating the functions of an old beta with the features of the new beta?
Old 25-06-01, 11:32 AM   #30
relic
gone for good

Quote:

What do you mean by exe manipulation 3A? Is it something like incorporating the functions of an old beta with the features of the new beta?
sorry man I was trying to use real big words to sound important . Simply hex editing was all that I was referring to.
Old 25-06-01, 11:43 AM   #31
zombywoof

Quote:

sorry man I was trying to use real big words to sound important . Simply hex editing was all that I was referring to.
I wasn't sure, but i thought hex editing was what you were talking about. The only hex edited versions I have are ones that change the appearance of the of the version slightly, but not really incorporating features from one beta to another.
Old 25-06-01, 12:37 PM   #32
relic
gone for good

Quote:

I wasn't sure, but i thought hex editing was what you were talking about. The only hex edited versions I have are ones that change the appearance of the of the version slightly, but not really incorporating features from one beta to another.
well I guess not even hexed version work now. So napigator is going to be more in use by me
Old 26-06-01, 12:11 AM   #33
JackSpratts

i'm using it right now. beta 2ver 9.6 still works.
Old 26-06-01, 01:12 AM   #34
relic
gone for good

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
i'm using it right now. beta 2ver 9.6 still works.
yeah anything 9.4+ works like a charm.
Old 26-06-01, 02:36 PM   #35
georgep922

for P2P I use morpheus

ideally I prefer FTP

Thanks to cpud, he introduced me to his server (50 gigs of mp3) and the eventually to the ftp community.
I met him during the last week of the unspoiled napster
Old 26-06-01, 03:20 PM   #36
relic
gone for good

that's odd...I can use beta 5 again.
Old 26-06-01, 03:28 PM   #37
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
that's odd...I can use beta 5 again.
I heard from a regular Nappy user that the user counts on Nappy servers had collapsed as soon as Nappy banned their own older clients. They may have scared out at the prospect of losing their entire user community over to the competition. Morpheus is already bigger that Napster and WPNP is not far behind.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-01, 03:55 PM   #38
relic
gone for good

thanks for the info tg. I really enjoy using Morpheus but I at least like to keep my beta 5 working...just as a reminder of all the good times in the past.
Old 27-06-01, 09:23 AM   #39
zombywoof

Quote:
thanks for the info tg. I really enjoy using Morpheus but I at least like to keep my beta 5 working...just as a reminder of all the good times in the past.
...And the fact that beta 5 is basically a nuts and bolts version without the bells and whistles that still works fine in the opennap network.

BTW, thanks for the info, TG.
Old 26-07-01, 12:02 AM   #40
Headbanger

Cool

I never really used Napster except for a brief trial period before all the controversy started. When the lawsuit was filed, I stopped using it and became a Napster opponent out of respect for the bands I admire. And because I saw it as a threat to my own musical interests.

But I later changed my mind and I don't see file sharing as a threat to musicians... perhaps to record labels, but I don't really care about them. I have since used audiogalaxy to download a conservative number of songs, and I bought at least a couple of CDs as a result. I have never burned MP3s to CDR as I find the quality of most MP3s to be too poor to waste a disk on.

PS: I know I have never posted to the P2P forum before... but I figgured, what the hell.
Headbanger is offline   Reply With Quote