P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 23-06-02, 01:45 PM   #1
twinspan
- a rascal -

Location: for security reasons, never the same as the President's
Exclamation Steps to take NOW to avoid problems with filesharing!!!

Here's a very helpful page from the IT Office of Duke University (USA), explaining how to avoid any problems with a long list of filesharing programs... by disabling filesharing altogether! - oops, i mean "partially"
Quote:
The most important step
Partially disable file sharing in your file-sharing utility.
"Partially" because only uploads need be disabled, not downloads. This should NOT affect your ability to copy files to your computer from other locations. But it will prevent others from copying files from your computer.
how nice of them to go to all this trouble to teach people how to leech!

at least they're making sure people are intelligently informed on the issues
Quote:
The point: To keep an angry mob from destroying your house, close the door. Disable uploads from your computer, otherwise it could get ugly.
See? And there was me worried about what I download (viruses, trojans, illegal operations etc). Now I know what I should worry about is my computing resources being destroyed by ... er... allowing... umm... uploads.

I notice the only major filesharing prog they don't helpfully teach you how to disable sharing in is eDonkey... Must be coz the home-wrecking mobs are all busy on the other p2p networks.

Respectfully,

Mark Weaver,
Director of Enforcement
MediaForce, Inc.
(212) 925-9997
twinspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-02, 03:02 PM   #2
Scyth

Default Re: Steps to take NOW to avoid problems with filesharing!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by twinspan
Now I know what I should worry about is my computing resources being destroyed by ... er... allowing... umm... uploads.
The thing is, when you're using a university's bandwidth, those aren't really your computer resources, they're the university's. Given that the choice is normally either don't upload or don't file-share at all, I'm perfectly happy to let university users leech.
Scyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-02, 09:56 AM   #3
twinspan
- a rascal -

Mad Re: Re: Steps to take NOW to avoid problems with filesharing!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Scyth
The thing is, when you're using a university's bandwidth, those aren't really your computer resources, they're the university's. Given that the choice is normally either don't upload or don't file-share at all, I'm perfectly happy to let university users leech.
err... how do you spot the difference between a university leech and a garden-variety leech?

and why is it alright for them to use the university's and MY bandwidth to get a file from me but not to return the favour? why should they have one of my upload slots when a filesharer could be getting something from me that other users will then be able to get from them?

if the uni wants to ban filesharing involving their pipes, their business. if they encourage people to take files from me, use up my bandwidth, take up my upload slots that sharers could be using, and not contribute anything back, then it becomes my business and I don't give a f#ck if they're a university, a hospital or the frickin' Kingdom of Heaven here on earth. They're leeching scum.

</rant>

Respectfully,

Mark Weaver,
Director of Enforcement
MediaForce, Inc.
(212) 925-9997
Old 24-06-02, 02:06 PM   #4
dead_frog
Oddball

So There!

I think it's up to each person to sit down and think about wether he's really contributing something to the network. Most people don't realize that with their "cooperation" no one would notice if they disappeared.
Like all of us I have limited HD space and so I like to make sure I've spread a file a little before getting rid of it. Therefore I'm unwillingly carrying the break in the chain when the leeches (no matter their reason) don't share the file and I delete it.

Today one of them tried to explain to me that if he uploads hackers can break into his pc:
Quote:
i'm not sharing because if i did, hackers could enter my system at any time, because my internet is permanently connected
I have yet to find a good excuse for not sharing.
</rant too>

dead_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-02, 03:52 PM   #5
nanook
just one of the gang...

sorry, but i'm with twinspan on this one!

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-02, 06:14 PM   #6
Scyth

Default Re: Re: Re: Steps to take NOW to avoid problems with filesharing!!!

If someone cannot upload, for whatever reason, I see no point in not letting them download as it's costing you almost nothing. If bandwidth was a particularly limited comodity, then sure, blocking leechers might make sense. But as it is, involuntary leechers don't cause a particular strain on the network (the one exception to this is if their downloading from a server with rare but in demand files).
Old 24-06-02, 07:43 PM   #7
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Thumbs down Leeching by any other name...

Quote:
If someone cannot upload, for whatever reason, I see no point in not letting them download as it's costing you almost nothing. If bandwidth was a particularly limited comodity, then sure, blocking leechers might make sense. But as it is, involuntary leechers don't cause a particular strain on the network (the one exception to this is if their downloading from a server with rare but in demand files).
I don't think the cost is even an issue. If they are taking and not giving for any reason, then that action alone is putting a strain on the network...

I totally agree with the original premise that the University is encouraging an undesirable and harmful practice, ie: leeching...
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-02, 09:35 PM   #8
Scyth

Default Re: Leeching by any other name...

Quote:
Originally posted by BuzzB2K
I don't think the cost is even an issue. If they are taking and not giving for any reason, then that action alone is putting a strain on the network...
I meant 'cost' generally not as in cash money. Leeching from universities does cost almost nothing. I can still go onto Kazaa, WinMX or whatever and download whatever I want quite fast. Banning involuntary leecher won't produce a noticeable increase in my transfer rates and will hugely inconvienience them. I don't see the point.
Old 24-06-02, 11:58 PM   #9
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

For most p2p users bandwidth is a comodity, because most people use 56k modems, like me. I try not to download from 56ker's if I can help it but I never terminate uploads. For me it's a sacrifice, and one that I'm perfectly willing to make, but for university leecherswith T1 lines it's not really inconvenient to upload, yet they refuse to.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-02, 01:26 AM   #10
Merijn

Well, at least you can consider me one of the university Kazaa members that do share stuff. In 40 minutes, I'll be sharing K-Pax (2 CD DVD Rip) for the rest of the workday (which is for another 7 hours in my timezone).

Merijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-02, 02:20 PM   #11
pod
Bumbling idiot

Default Re: Steps to take NOW to avoid problems with filesharing!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by twinspan
I notice the only major filesharing prog they don't helpfully teach you how to disable sharing in is eDonkey... Must be coz the home-wrecking mobs are all busy on the other p2p networks.
And that's why eDonkey rules so much. You can't really disable uploads. You definitely can't cancel them. If you set your upload speed too low, your download speed will be reduced. I guess you can cheat this by setting both speeds to 0 (unlimited) and use some other method to choke the upload (@ the router, QoS, etc). But if you really want to leech, just use Kazaa.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-02, 07:30 PM   #12
Scyth

Quote:
Originally posted by Mazer
...but for university leecherswith T1 lines it's not really inconvenient to upload, yet they refuse to.
Yes, it is. If they get caught, they'll lose all internet access. That's quite an inconvience.
Old 25-06-02, 09:18 PM   #13
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Well look at it this way, a university student with a T1 line can download many gig's of music in a few short months, while I have only aquired one gig of music ofer the past four years. If a sharer gets ten times the downloads and then gets booted then the inconvience is overshadowed by the massive collection he's already gained. And if he can't do his research on the internet anymore, tough, he can go to the library instead. I propose that the lack of a luxury is not necessarily an inconvience, but the abuse of a luxury is inconvient for everyone else.
Old 25-06-02, 09:19 PM   #14
BuzzB2K

Quote:

Yes, it is. If they get caught, they'll lose all internet access. That's quite an inconvience.
It still doesn't excuse "leeching". It is their choice to be at the University...
Old 25-06-02, 10:03 PM   #15
Scyth

Quote:
Originally posted by BuzzB2K

It still doesn't excuse "leeching". It is their choice to be at the University...
Are you suggesting that people should consider whether or not they'll be able to contribute to file-sharing networks when deciding whether to persue a higher education?
Old 25-06-02, 10:23 PM   #16
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

What he means is it's their choice to use the university's connection. If they wanted they could still use a dial-up. It's a moot point anyway, they leech or they get booted, either way they don't contribute anything. Nobody on NU leeches anyway, at least as far as I know, and if they do then they know that the rest of us object to it.
Old 25-06-02, 11:02 PM   #17
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mazer
If they wanted they could still use a dial-up.
Exactly, I was just about to say that. The last time I checked all the dorms at Universities still have phone lines. Some even have more then one line per room. But I guess that's not an option because that would mean that they would have to suffer....and we can't have that now can we. I guess that would mean that they would have to deal with the slow speeds, tying up their phones, etc...basically all the crap that sharing 56k users have to deal with but are still willing to share.

Unless there is a long line at the pay phones because there are no phone lines in the dorms then you'll get no sympathy from me. Students at Universities can share, the real issue is that it's just too inconvenient for them to setup a 56k service when they already have a broadband connection......which I hear as let everyone else pick up the slack of sharing so that they can leech with their T1 lines. Try telling that to thousands of sharing 56k users who have to deal with their slow speeds while people at Universities get the luxury of leeching with T1 lines. When I was living in a dorm a few years back I had a 56k service so don't even give me that crap.
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-02, 02:59 AM   #18
twinspan
- a rascal -

Default Re: Re: Leeching by any other name...

Quote:
I meant 'cost' generally not as in cash money. Leeching from universities does cost almost nothing. I can still go onto Kazaa, WinMX or whatever and download whatever I want quite fast. Banning involuntary leecher won't produce a noticeable increase in my transfer rates...
How do you know it won't? Do you have access to a control study involving a separate FT or WinMX network where leeching was not allowed and then compared the speeds on the leech-ridden network to the leech-free network?

You seem to be implying that people's actions have no consequences upon the network. But something as simple as the Bot was crippling eDonkey, and that was only automated server searching (i think).

People getting a file are using the p2p's resources, they are using general internet resources, they are using the filesharer's resources and they are using upload slots. This has an effect on everyone. If, in turn they are sharing, then I regard the price (in resources used up by the file receiver) to be worth paying. If they do NOT share in turn, then I do NOT regard the price of allowing them to get a file from me to be worth paying.

I don't cut off people with speeds below ~6kbps (i figure dial-up folks deserve a break). But if you're getting something from me at 20kbps, not sharing anything, and giving me bullshit excuses like "My PC just crashed and I don't have anything to share (PS what would you like to trade?)", then you can kiss your transfer bye-bye.

I'd willingly have all my upload slots taken by 56k sharers rather than have a single one ever go to a T1, class-A leech.

Grrrrrr rant foam snarl

<twinspan takes a chill pill and then calmly waits for FU RIAA to come out>

Respectfully,

Mark Weaver,
Director of Enforcement
MediaForce, Inc.
(212) 925-9997
Old 26-06-02, 04:04 AM   #19
BuzzB2K

Quote:

Are you suggesting that people should consider whether or not they'll be able to contribute to file-sharing networks when deciding whether to persue a higher education?
I could care less one way or the other on their decision to pursue an education, but they should think carefully about sucking files out of a system that is based on sharing.
Old 26-06-02, 07:43 AM   #20
naz
-

Fruity

A while ago I used to use my University's bband connect in the only way I could ...
thru the napster web interface at inapnow.com. I leeched it good for months ... The connection in my student place was 56k on a phoneline shared with 6 others ... I didnt share much then either ...

About six months ago I got my own broadband connection and ran my audiogalaxy satellites on three pcs on the network from last November to June, 24/7

heres the stats from one of ...

sent: 16,788.33 MB / recv: 4,065.72 MB

and my upload is 20 kps max

So, am I a reformed leech? Am I sharing now out of guilt?

I don't care ... and i don't care if any of those people who downloaded from me shared or not (i think the fact that you couldnt tell who was dling from you on ag was good, if i was back on 56k i wouldnt like some holier than thou cable prick messaging me to share my files).

I always found what I wanted and I was happy to share because it was reasonable that I did.

I think people on nice fat broadband lines that make the decision not to share becuase they believe it will effect their resources are stupid and misguided. But I think, as a problem, leeching has been grossly overrepesented on p2p boards.

In praise of freeloaders
I’ve been a little down because today my doctor diagnosed me with John Travolta Syndrome. It’s a condition where your face or head grows laterally, getting wider year by year. It’s not so much of a problem and it’s nothing to be ashamed of, it’s just a condition. In fact mine is good because it means my brain is getting bigger too. But not that Travolta guy, his head is mostly fat. The doctors said I am much smarter than John Travolta and I believe them.
naz is offline   Reply With Quote