P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 22-04-02, 01:26 PM   #1
indiana_jones
B2B Protagonist ... Life is ... Bubble to Bubble ... Beer to Beer ... love a VLAIBB (Very Lonesome Artificial Intelligence Brained Bubble) @ http://www.geocities.com/vlaibb vlaibb@yahoo.com

Default sig2dat 3.7.a - open source - supports quicklinks

sig2dat 3.7.a
  • now supports quicklinks, if you install the sig2dat protocol.
    surprise.mp3
  • made it open source
indy
UUHash:=1LDYkHDl65OprVz37xN1VSo9b00=

Copy the lines above and use 'Paste from Clipboard' function of
sig2dat 3.11.a (supports quicklinks) to create a startfile for your FastTrack p2p client for safe download

indiana_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-02, 08:41 PM   #2
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

GrinNo

Hi...I just wanted to say that I am very resistent to change and embracing new ideas however at the advice of a friend (TBCdevil ex-administrator on the old KaZaA forums)

I have now decided to try out this incredible invention as you discovered it i would imagine or at least were the first to put it into a working executable that was easy for others to use

BTW you do a hell of a great job explaining what this is and does and also a great big shout out needs to go to AYB because without his research this might not have been possible.

My sincere thanks to the both of you and also to anyone whom I may have missed or left out..i assure you it was not intentional...okay I am learning how to use this right now..I'm downloading all the primers and guides you have available

I love documentation especially when its WELL documented..i haven't looked at the source code yet but assembly language source code or C source code bewilders me so I probaly wouldn't understand it anyways but I'm sure that others will and will also benefit from your shared knowledge...

Many thanks,

I'm very greatful...

Everyone please have a look at this gentlemen's website and don't leave until you know what this is and what it does.

Its truly a phenomenal breakthrough is a closed technology.

: )

Regards,

Harbynger
butterfly_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-02, 12:20 AM   #3
twinspan
- a rascal -

Location: for security reasons, never the same as the President's

This is EXACTLY what I was hoping for from Sig2Dat, thanks thanks thanks thanks Indy.

But I have one problem: I'm too lame to get the quick link to work for me.

I installed sig2dat 3.7a in c\program files\sig2dat, imported the registry file, then clicked on the quicky; all that happened was that an empty new browser window opened up, with 'cannot connect to server' error message.

So I started up Sig2dat, then clicked again, same thing.

So I thought, maybe I have to close and re-open Grokster before anything will happen. Just did that, no new file in my d/l window.

I'm probably overlooking something really obvious: reboot? allow pop-ups? maybe coz I already got your surprise? I dunno.

So could I ask you for a step-by-step demo of how to d/l a 'quicky'?

Thanks for any help, and thanks for Sig2dat.
Twinspan.
twinspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-02, 02:44 AM   #4
indiana_jones
B2B Protagonist ... Life is ... Bubble to Bubble ... Beer to Beer ... love a VLAIBB (Very Lonesome Artificial Intelligence Brained Bubble) @ http://www.geocities.com/vlaibb vlaibb@yahoo.com

i'm afraid these "quicklinks" work only with Microsoft InternetExplorer - as i tried, it does not work with Netscape.

maybe there is a way to make it work with other bowsers, but i do not know how to setup this.

indy

sig2dat 3.11.a (supports quicklinks) to create a startfile for your FastTrack p2p client for safe download

Old 23-04-02, 06:43 AM   #5
Stoepsel
Waiting For The Night To Fall...

Hi,

to get ed2k links to work with Opera you have to follow the advice in the last post of this thread:

Quote:
Locate Opera's .ini file (opera.ini or opera6.ini), go to the [User Prefs] section and enter the following line:
TrustedExternalURLProtocols=ed2k
Since ed2k links are probably very similar to the sig2dat links, I'd bet you must either:

* create a new line opera6.ini, section [User Prefs] to read:
TrustedExternalURLProtocols=sig2dat

* or extend that line (if it already exists) to read:
TrustedExternalURLProtocols=<whatever is already there>, sig2dat

If a comma doesn't work, try a semicolon or something. The Opera site wasn't clear on the exact format for multiple protocols.

ed2k links should already work for IE and Netscape/Mozilla according to this (German) site. So I figure that sig2dat links should also work if the registry settings are correct. The German sites gives an example for ed2k links:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ed2k\shell\open\command
Wert="C:\Programme\eDonkey2000\gdonkey.exe" %1

So there should probably be an entry reading something like this:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\sig2dat\shell\open\command
Wert="C:\Programme\sig2dat\sig2dat.exe" %1

@Indy:
You should have a look at that page (sections 22+23), if you haven't done so already. It discusses some issues regarding quicklinks in browsers and stuff. It shows what you can check, if ed2k links don't work. So just apply those hints to your sig2dat links.
And before anyone starts smart-assing me, Indy knows German - at least as well as you can possibly expect from an Austrian

Hope this helps,
Stoepsel

Last edited by Stoepsel : 23-04-02 at 06:54 AM.
Stoepsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-02, 09:16 AM   #6
twinspan
- a rascal -

Location: for security reasons, never the same as the President's

Hi indy,
ah-ha, a browser issue, knew it had to be something simple/obvious (for everyone except me. doh!)

hi stoepsel,
thanks for the info (never knew about this trusted protocol stuff). I've saved your post to my HD and will try it later (as right now my brain hurts from several hours researching how to rip DVD on a Mac, and I can't take any more tech for the moment. )
twinspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-02, 09:36 AM   #7
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Quote:
Originally posted by Stoepsel
Hi,

Since ed2k links are probably very similar to the sig2dat links, I'd bet you must either:

* create a new line opera6.ini, section [User Prefs] to read:
TrustedExternalURLProtocols=sig2dat

* or extend that line (if it already exists) to read:
TrustedExternalURLProtocols=<whatever is already there>, sig2dat

If a comma doesn't work, try a semicolon or something. The Opera site wasn't clear on the exact format for multiple protocols.

Hope this helps,
Stoepsel
It works like you say, with the comma seperator. However, the file is showing up like this:
kazaadownload-%20surprise.%20mp3.dat

Last edited by BuzzB2K : 23-04-02 at 09:48 AM.
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-02, 10:05 AM   #8
Stoepsel

Quote:
Originally posted by BuzzB2K

It works like you say, with the comma seperator. However, the file is showing up like this:
kazaadownload-%20surprise.%20mp3.dat
But am I to blame for that?

The link in Indy's post is:

sig2dat://|file:%20surprise.%20mp3|length:5845871bytes|uuhash:=1ldykhd l65oprvz37xn1vso9b00=%3Cbr%20/%3E

Notice the %20s already in the link: file:%20surprise.%20mp3

I guess sig2dat constructs the file name for the kazaa file from the info provided in the link. The link already has the %20 in it. Maybe there's a bug in how that URL is constructed?

Indy, any comments?

Stoepsel
Old 23-04-02, 10:42 AM   #9
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

Exclamation

my two cents the %20 is just how your browswer parses a space between words in a link

now as for the %3E even i don't know/not sure i care either about that one.

Harbynger
butterfly_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-02, 10:56 AM   #10
indiana_jones

thanks to all for trying and help

these "%20" are somehow inserted by this board, you may try an other link
http://www.fasttrackhelp.com/cgi-bin...ct=ST;f=2;t=78
where the blanks and dots are treated as normal characters (nevertheless if you preview first, the link is totally modified there).
concerning modifications - if nothing is modified between the == in the hash it will still work - you only get a weird filename

these resgistry entry should be covered already by the .reg file. maybe there is something wrong with it.

indy

to tell you the truth: i still prefer good old copy paste

Old 23-04-02, 11:19 AM   #11
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Quote:
Originally posted by indiana_jones
thanks to all for trying and help

these "%20" are somehow inserted by this board, you may try an other link
http://www.fasttrackhelp.com/cgi-bin...ct=ST;f=2;t=78
where the blanks and dots are treated as normal characters (nevertheless if you preview first, the link is totally modified there).

these resgistry entry should be covered already by the .reg file. maybe there is something wrong with it.

indy

to tell you the truth: i still prefer good old copy paste
If I use your link in IE it comes out - kazaadownload-surprise. mp3.dat
With Opera it shows the space holders. (kazaadownload-%20surprise.%20mp3.dat)

You are right that your reg entry is allready correct... I guess this is just an Opera issue?

quicky
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-02, 12:04 PM   #12
Stoepsel

Default Feature Request for sig2dat

Hi Indy,

I've got a little feature that you could add to sig2dat to help the user generate the quicklinks.

How about if sig2dat creates the quicklinks for you and adds it to the clipboard after the signature calculation? Currently the clipboard contains something like this:

File: 06 - Airfire feat. Talla 2XLC (No Signs Of Life).mp3
Length: 3935432 Bytes, 3843KB
UUHash: =WKsmVHW8mA6ONjvBqPN6fpba3Lc=

Of course it is rather easy to create a quicklink out of that information manually. But by simply adding the quicklink, too, the user doesn't have to do it himself. You could also give the user the option of copy the normal signature or the quicklink to the clipboard.

What do you say?

Stoepsel
Old 23-04-02, 03:37 PM   #13
indiana_jones

i think i collect all feature ideas now and wait a while until it turns out how it will be used.

if somebody makes a database (maybe lens at www.fasttrackhelp.com), maybe he uses some scripting and this way it will be easy to make quicklinks on the fly out of any format.

it looks as if quicklinks are not so easy to post in forums - every forum has its own problems.

and for whole albums it would be better to zip the hashes to a file and use drag&drop to create a whole bunch of startfiles.

btw. these quicklinks support also more than one file i.e. 2 parts of a movie with one link - just concatenate the strings. but the href length is somehow limited, it does not support a whole album.

indy

Old 23-04-02, 06:56 PM   #14
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

Indy,

This quicklink is a great addition This way we don't have to explain to anyone on how to use the program. It pretty much runs itself. Although, since you are now adding registry entries some users are probably going to ask if you can create an uninstaller.

Quote:
How about if sig2dat creates the quicklinks for you and adds it to the clipboard after the signature calculation?
This would be a great idea if you can do it. This way I can easily add quicklinks to my website and because quicklinks makes it easy for everyone to use I think your sig2dat program will be more popular. I was thinking if you could make it work like the links at www.sharereactor.com then it would be a huge benefit, but it doesn't have to.

All you really need to do it make it easy to create quicklinks on websites and I think we might have a winner! I think the reason why people haven't been using your program too much is that they are getting confused on how to use your program. I know it seems pretty easy to us, but I'm sure there are users out there that don't want to learn how to use another program when they don't have to. The quicklink feature does it all for them Now only if you can make sig2dat create quicklinks like stoepsel suggested.
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-02, 02:15 AM   #15
Stoepsel

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnDoe345
I was thinking if you could make it work like the links at www.sharereactor.com then it would be a huge benefit, but it doesn't have to.
JohnDoe,

what exactly do you mean with that?

The quicklinks functionality with sig2dat already allows you to click on a quicklink, which causes sig2dat to start, create a signature file and put it in your Kazaa incoming directory. The registry entries have to be correct for this to work though. The entries have to point to the sig2dat executable. Have a closer look at the registry file in Notepad, or use regedit to check the entries made by the registry file.

For reference, here's the contents of the 'standard' registry file as found in the sig2dat archive on Indy's page:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\sig2dat]
@="URL: sig2dat Protocol"
"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\sig2dat\DefaultIcon]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\sig2dat\\sig2dat.exe\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\sig2dat\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\sig2dat\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\sig2dat\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\sig2dat\\sig2dat.exe\" \"%1\""

It registers "sig2dat" as a URL protocol.
It sets an icon for that protocol.
It defines the default "open" command that calls sig2dat.exe with the URL as parameter. (Not sure with this "URL as parameter" stuff, that's my interpretation of the %1 in the last registry entry.)

The paths to sig2dat have to be correct so that all this works. At home, I have changed the registry to point to sig2dat, because I have it installed somewhere else. And it worked like a charm, even with Opera.

To deinstall, simply remove the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\sig2dat folder using regedit.

Stoepsel
Old 24-04-02, 11:48 AM   #16
napho
Dawn's private genie

Nice work guys. I see that Gnucleus is going to implement quicklinks soon, a first for Gnutella ( I think).
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-02, 12:31 PM   #17
JohnDoe345

Quote:

what exactly do you mean with that?
Sorry about being vague on this subject. What I meant was at sharereactor the user only needs to click on the link for it to automatically start downloading in the eDonkey program. I've only tested indy's quicklink a couple of times but it seems that you still have to either restart Grokster/Kazaa in order for the new .dat files to be identified or not have Grokster/Kazaa opened at all. Anyhow, this has always been and issue and like I said it's not needed. It's more of a luxury convenience. Just to let you know the quicklink does work on my machine. I guess I was thinking about how to make it as easy as possible for the users.

Quote:
To deinstall, simply remove the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\sig2dat folder using regedit.
I know about that. The only reason I brought up the subject is because I know that some users are paranoid about not being able to uninstall things on their computers and a lot of users don't like working with the registry. Anyhow, it's not necessary. I was only giving indy suggestions so that he can target the general users.

Good work indy Your program just keeps getting better!
Old 24-04-02, 02:32 PM   #18
JohnDoe345

Default Re: sig2dat 3.7.a - open source - supports quicklinks

Quote:
How about if sig2dat creates the quicklinks for you and adds it to the clipboard after the signature calculation?
I was thinking more about this issue and I think the only thing needed is to have 2 versions of copy to clipboard. The first would give the usual information shown below:

File: 06 - Airfire feat. Talla 2XLC (No Signs Of Life).mp3
Length: 3935432 Bytes, 3843KB
UUHash: =WKsmVHW8mA6ONjvBqPN6fpba3Lc=

This would be used by most users who don't know or don't want to make quicklinks. This way they can still report them like they normally do. The second copy to clipboard would have it displayed like this:

sig2dat://|File: 06 - Airfire feat. Talla 2XLC (No Signs Of Life).mp3 |Length:3935432Bytes|UUHash:=WKsmVHW8mA6ONjvBqPN6fpba3Lc=

Or even with html coding that so that the user can easily copy and paste them on a website or a forum with html codes enabled.

<a href="sig2dat://|File: 06 - Airfire feat. Talla 2XLC (No Signs Of Life).mp3|Length:3935432Bytes|UUHash:=WKsmVHW8mA6ONjvBqPN6fp ba3Lc=">06 - Airfire feat. Talla 2XLC (No Signs Of Life).mp3</a>
Old 24-04-02, 02:45 PM   #19
Stoepsel

Default Re: Re: sig2dat 3.7.a - open source - supports quicklinks

Quote:
You could also give the user the option of copy the normal signature or the quicklink to the clipboard.
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnDoe345
I was thinking more about this issue and I think the only thing needed is to have 2 versions of copy to clipboard...
Funny how great minds think alike, isn't it?

:LOL:

Stoepsel
Old 24-04-02, 04:08 PM   #20
JohnDoe345

Big Wheeling Grin

LOL...somehow I must have missed reading that sentence of yours. I guess I just "reinvented the wheel". Oh well, my fingers needed the exercise anyhow