P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 21-01-03, 11:27 AM   #1
nanook
just one of the gang...

NoSmiley just a story...

believe it or not, i have found that there r still many people out there just beginning their journey into the world of music trading.
i find this funny because i have never actually met one in real life.
i was shocked to say the least.

even funnier is that they talk on the subject with such a pompous attitude.....as if it were a just realized subject and they were now the expert and if i needed to know anything, to just ask them.
lmao.

anyhoo....this is a lady from my place of work, at lunchtime.
she has informed me that they just got their computer and that they have a dsl connection and that they use kazaa.
and that i couldn't believe all of the songs they r getting.
i told her that i use winmx.

she informed me that she is being restricted in her dl/uling.
i said, "yeah it's going that way, but that i have dial-up and am not restricted." we go on about the differences between dial-up and say dsl or cable.
i inform her how i can only download about one song in 15-20 min. and that i allow 2 uploads in the meantime. i then tell her that it must be nice to download like 30 songs at once, like some of the people uploading from me.
she says, "oh i do that."

she says, "oh, but they r limiting me to yadayadayada, and that's plenty of space for all the songs she wants or needs."
i say, "that's cool."

she then goes into more description of the limits on her dl/uling.
and that she is being charged extra for the uploads on top of her downloads.
since i have no experience in this limitation, i asked if the charge didn't include both in the price they ask her.
she said no and that is why she won't allow anyone to upload from her.
i said, "WHAT?"
she says, "yeah, i just click "do not share" and then i don't have to worry about anyone uploading from me and i don't have that extra cost."

i'm like, "hey, u know that this all about sharing and that u take a chance of being cut off because of that. u also realize that u r getting all of that music for free, hence the small charge the isp gives u surely makes up for the difference."
i then told her that in the big world of p2p trading that she is mos def considered a leech and not usually welcome.

of course she laughs this off. i mean she is pro. and she continues on about her lunch as if i said nothing at all.

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-03, 01:20 PM   #2
JackSpratts

i love stories like that nanook because they illustrate how file sharing is becoming so everyday & so mundane, so integrated into ones' normal lifestyle and such a habit. but i hate the cavalier attitude about leeching, not least of which because if isp and campus capping polices are going to change there has to first be a user who cares about them.

but i think maybe there are an awful lot of people running around who think like your coworker does.

we were all newbies once and maybe we didn't think it through at first but we came around - and then some. i know i've chnged peoples' minds about this, i'm sure you have too.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-03, 01:44 PM   #3
[Dark]
1981 - 2003

lunchlady sucks at the intraweb
[Dark] is offline   Reply With Quote