P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 02-06-02, 01:53 PM   #1
Merijn

Default Clean Kazaa repacks of ALL VERSIONS

Hi folks, I just spend an entire Sunday downloading, installing, uninstalling, reinstalling and repackaging all existing versions of Kazaa since v1.3.3.

This means I downloaded versions 1.3.3, 1.4, 1.3.4, 1.5, 1.5.1, 1.6.0, 1.6.1, 1.7.0, and 1.7.1, installed each one, tracked the difference with InCtrl5, and created my own installer using Nullsoft's SuperPIMP installer (aka NISD). This custom installer installs only kazaa.exe, and some registry settings, leaving the system exactly as if you had installed Kazaa normally and then removed all the crap.

All 9 installers are about 1 MB (NISD features file compression ) and I will upload them to a yet-to-be-created-account www.geocities.com/cleankazaa (or some other one, Geocities appears to be down from here so I can't check if that account is taken) and post here when ready. A proof-of-concept screenshot that Kazaa 1.4 (and newer probably, not sure about 1.3.4) still works will also be posted tomorrow.

This should speed up the research on the differences between the Kazaa versions. I am currently running Kazaa 1.4 (was 1.7.0) and it connected fine after two tries. To get older versions to run:

* Uninstall new Kazaa version, make sure HKLM\Software\Kazaa and HKCU\Software\Kazaa are gone
* Install old Kazaa version using my repacks or KazaaLite, whatever. The option 'Notify me before installing updates should be ON, which it is by default.
* Start Kazaa, it will connect REALLY slowly.
* It will ask to update, click No. You're now connected to no network (1 user online, sharing 0 files (0,0 GB))
* Disconnect
* Reconnect
* Wait
* Click No when it asks to upgrade again.
* You should be on the main network now.

I guess Kazaa has to fetch the network_config data from the main network first and can only then connect to it.)

Expect the post of a page with the repacks and these instructions by tomorrow. I'm off to watch TV

[edit]
Ah, I forgot.. now that I've seen all versions, I can make a small summary of the version changes:
v1.3.3: earliest version I could find by filename. Supposedly no longer allowed on the FastTrack network.
v1.4: Introduces 'UseCount' and 'Date' (date of install) Registry settings
v1.3.4: B3D Projector is suddenly optional (!). 'AutoConnected' Registry setting introduced.
v1.5: First (and only?) version to ban v1.3.3 and older versions of FastTrack clients. B3D Projector is mandatory again
v1.5.1: Introduces Adult filter
v1.6.0: First version released by Sharman Networks instead of original Kazaa company. Also introduces ugly WinXP lookalike UI. Blech. Also introduces 'NoUploadLimitWhenIdle' Registry setting, translated as 'Optimize upload bandwidth when idle' in Kazaa UI.
v1.6.1: Fixed some security issues.
v1.7.0: Introduces Altnet paid content.
v1.7.1: Increases search results to 200, IIRC.
Merijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-02, 02:14 PM   #2
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Hi Merijn, welcome to Napsterites, enjoy your stay here!

Excellent work on the clients!

- tg

P.S. I moved your thread here into P2P due to its topic. This is the best forum for all p2p-related posts, Byte Bits is meant for all non-p2p-related technical stuff.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-02, 03:22 PM   #3
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

Default Re: Clean Kazaa repacks of ALL VERSIONS

Thanks, Merijn

that is some really excellent work you've done with the
safe repackings and version comparisons of the different kazaa versions.

thank-you for taking the time.

God i just love Dutch people...[they are so creative and innovative and well let's just leave it at that for now ]

Quote:
Originally posted by Merijn
Hi folks, I just spend an entire Sunday downloading, installing, uninstalling, reinstalling and repackaging all existing versions of Kazaa since v1.3.3.

This means I downloaded versions 1.3.3, 1.4, 1.3.4, 1.5, 1.5.1, 1.6.0, 1.6.1, 1.7.0, and 1.7.1, installed each one, tracked the difference with InCtrl5, and created my own installer using Nullsoft's SuperPIMP installer (aka NISD). This custom installer installs only kazaa.exe, and some registry settings, leaving the system exactly as if you had installed Kazaa normally and then removed all the crap.

All 9 installers are about 1 MB (NISD features file compression ) and I will upload them to a yet-to-be-created-account www.geocities.com/cleankazaa (or some other one, Geocities appears to be down from here so I can't check if that account is taken) and post here when ready. A proof-of-concept screenshot that Kazaa 1.4 (and newer probably, not sure about 1.3.4) still works will also be posted tomorrow.

This should speed up the research on the differences between the Kazaa versions. I am currently running Kazaa 1.4 (was 1.7.0) and it connected fine after two tries. To get older versions to run:

* Uninstall new Kazaa version, make sure HKLM\Software\Kazaa and HKCU\Software\Kazaa are gone
* Install old Kazaa version using my repacks or KazaaLite, whatever. The option 'Notify me before installing updates should be ON, which it is by default.
* Start Kazaa, it will connect REALLY slowly.
* It will ask to update, click No. You're now connected to no network (1 user online, sharing 0 files (0,0 GB))
* Disconnect
* Reconnect
* Wait
* Click No when it asks to upgrade again.
* You should be on the main network now.

I guess Kazaa has to fetch the network_config data from the main network first and can only then connect to it.)

Expect the post of a page with the repacks and these instructions by tomorrow. I'm off to watch TV

[edit]
Ah, I forgot.. now that I've seen all versions, I can make a small summary of the version changes:
v1.3.3: earliest version I could find by filename. Supposedly no longer allowed on the FastTrack network.
v1.4: Introduces 'UseCount' and 'Date' (date of install) Registry settings
v1.3.4: B3D Projector is suddenly optional (!). 'AutoConnected' Registry setting introduced.
v1.5: First (and only?) version to ban v1.3.3 and older versions of FastTrack clients. B3D Projector is mandatory again
v1.5.1: Introduces Adult filter
v1.6.0: First version released by Sharman Networks instead of original Kazaa company. Also introduces ugly WinXP lookalike UI. Blech. Also introduces 'NoUploadLimitWhenIdle' Registry setting, translated as 'Optimize upload bandwidth when idle' in Kazaa UI.
v1.6.1: Fixed some security issues.
v1.7.0: Introduces Altnet paid content.
v1.7.1: Increases search results to 200, IIRC.
butterfly_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-02, 11:13 PM   #4
JackSpratts

great job Merijn, can't wait to see them.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-02, 01:00 AM   #5
Merijn

OK, it's here folks.
Have fun with it!

www.geocities.com/cleankazaa/index.html

Old 03-06-02, 01:22 AM   #6
StereoDeluxe

Quote:
Originally posted by Merijn
OK, it's here folks.
Have fun with it!

www.geocities.com/cleankazaa/index.html

<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="Notepad rulez!">
StereoDeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-02, 02:47 AM   #7
Moist_Funny_Head
Steal this avatar and you die my friend....and then you die.

Mad

As long as the trojan is gone I'm happy. That sucker got me hacked into.
Old 07-06-02, 04:45 AM   #8
Merijn

What? what? A trojan? Are you referring to W32/Dlder that came bundled with one version of Grokster?
Old 07-06-02, 08:13 PM   #9
Moist_Funny_Head

Mad

The trojan is BDE. It's basically a back-door network where they can use our idle resources and bandwidth for whatever they please. You have probably heard of BDE but if you haven't you should do a search for it on google. Some very interesting reading I must say.
Old 08-06-02, 07:18 AM   #10
Merijn

Ah, B3D you mean. No, that's not in the repacks. It's not a trojan as much it is spyware, ofcourse
Old 09-06-02, 07:31 AM   #11
Moist_Funny_Head

Mad

As far as I'm concerned, if it gives someone unauthorized access (or potential unauthorized access) it most definitely is a trojan. "The cleaner" also sees it that way, as do many others. You should do some reading on some of the geek news sites. I still can't beleive they thought they would get away with it.
Old 09-06-02, 11:08 AM   #12
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Are we refering to Altnet?
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-02, 12:33 PM   #13
goldie
yea, it's me.

What The? It's unavoidable...........gotta reinstall it!

Merijn- gonna do it. There's something I'm needing which can't be found anywhere else (in such copious numbers).

Thanks for your hard work - without it, this day would not be possible!!

goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-02, 02:57 PM   #14
goldie
yea, it's me.

Njah Njah

hmmm......this winzip thing's pretty cool!
Old 09-06-02, 05:38 PM   #15
goldie
yea, it's me.

Question

okay, now that's all done (sucessfully).......one question:

The notorious bitrate problem.........

The key's in the registry but, it doesn't seem to have an affect (of course I may not be setting it right since it's been a while.......)

????

Nevermind.............it works - 160's the highest I'm getting thoug.....
Old 28-06-02, 03:38 PM   #16
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

bump!
butterfly_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote