P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 19-09-03, 06:41 PM   #41
howling_mantra

Default es5 vs. morpheus

I got es5 working well after configuring my router, which, after reading some of the posts here have me worried now. I went to dslreports.com and passed the security test though.

I do like the sense of security, with the proxies, and the "Stealth" light that lets you know when the proxies are working or not.

The problem that I have is the lack of files.
A search for Dave Mathews gave me two results!

Also the ES5 rheotoric is a bit much.

I just got morpheus up and running and its good! I also had to configure my router, but I like The number of files, the proxies, the look. The only thing they need is a "Stealth" status light. I get paranoid these days.

What is the deal with port 1023 ?
Old 03-10-03, 01:46 AM   #42
multi
Thanks for being with arse

ES5 has malicious code?

EarthStation 5 (aka ES5, aka ESV) (http://www.earthstation5.com and http://forums2.es5.com/) is a P2P application first released about 6-12 months ago. The people behind ES5 claim that ES5 is the most secure P2P software in the world. They also claim that they are security experts, and that they have more than 15 million simultaneous users on-line 24/7. In comparison Kazaa, the most popular P2P application, only has about 4 million simultaneous users on-line at any given time of day.
Malicious code

There exists malicious code in ES5.exe's "Search Service" packet handler. By sending packet 0Ch, sub-function 07h to the "Search Service"'s IP:Port, a remote attacker could delete any file the user is sharing. If the remote attacker uses "filenames" with a relative path in them (eg. "......WINDOWSNOTEPAD.EXE"), the remote attacker could also delete files in eg. the windows and windowssystem32 folders, or any other folder on the same partition as any of the shared folders. Since most users using Windows are in the Administrators group, a remote attacker could also delete the C:BOOT.INI file which is a required boot file used by ntldr.

IMPORTANT: This is not a bug! They intentionally added this code to ES5.

LOL thats not funny...

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-03, 08:26 AM   #43
pod
Bumbling idiot

Quote:
Originally posted by multi
ES5 has malicious code?
No! I don't believe it!
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-03, 09:06 AM   #44
goldie
yea, it's me.

What The?

Quote:
Originally posted by multi
Since most users using Windows are in the Administrators group, a remote attacker could also delete the C:BOOT.INI file which is a required boot file used by ntldr.

IMPORTANT: This is not a bug! They intentionally added this code to ES5.

LOL thats not funny...

Ewwwwwwwwww.....nasty nasty.

Perhaps it was divine intervention that i couldn't get this bastard to run on my comp :S

goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-03, 10:11 AM   #45
Haole
Pronunciation: 'hau-lE

P2P terror.
Attached Images

Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-03, 01:05 PM   #46
Malk-a-mite

[Full-Disclosure] EartStation 5 P2P application contains malicious code

http://lists.netsys.com/pipermail/fu...er/011339.html
=================
Vulnerabilities
---------------
There also exists a lot of other vulnerabilities in ES5 (eg. DoS attacks,
buffer overflow bugs, and so on), but these all seem to be unintentional.
Another advisory may have more info on these vulnerabilities, but I'm not
their beta tester so don't hold your breath.

Conclusion
----------
The people behind ES5 have intentionally added malicious code to ES5. If
you have followed the ES5 discussions on message boards and read what the
ES5 people have said and done (eg. DoS attacking BitTorrent sites), this
comes as no surprise. The question then is "why did they do it?" I'm sure
they won't tell us, but here's a theory: They could be working for the
RIAA, MPAA, or a similar organization. Once they have enough users on their
ES5 network, they would start deleting all copyrighted files they own which
their users are sharing. The users wouldn't know what hit them.
============
===================
Malk-a-mite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-03, 01:52 PM   #47
AweShucks
Just Looking Around

Quote:
Originally posted by Malk-a-mite
They could be working for the
RIAA, MPAA, or a similar organization. Once they have enough users on their
ES5 network, they would start deleting all copyrighted files they own which
their users are sharing. The users wouldn't know what hit them.
============

Or they could be working for a totally different entity

Imagine the effects a terrorist "group" could carry out with access to millions <----very questionable of computers around the world. However I don't think this code is classified as "cyberterrorism" but what other code is in ES5??????
The potential to overtake millions of computers (if people actually believe their bullshit an use this program) is very real
Old 03-10-03, 02:44 PM   #48
Haole
Pronunciation: 'hau-lE

At the risk of sounding paranoid, I wouldn't even think of touching this. My first thoughts about ES5 were negative, and after reading various posts on this site by multi and others, I've had nothing but distrust and suspicion towards it. As far as cyber-terrorism carried out in this fashion, let's just say it wouldn't surprise me.
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-03, 03:46 PM   #49
Malk-a-mite

Quote:
Originally posted by mdneer
At the risk of sounding paranoid, I wouldn't even think of touching this. My first thoughts about ES5 were negative, and after reading various posts on this site by multi and others, I've had nothing but distrust and suspicion towards it. As far as cyber-terrorism carried out in this fashion, let's just say it wouldn't surprise me.
As soon as they posted the ports that needed to be open in the firewall I wondered why.....
===================
Malk-a-mite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-03, 03:47 PM   #50
multi
Thanks for being with arse

my comments on the actual program were from when it was being beta tested ...

but from what i can tell from others it never improved much after...but it must work alright for some ppl..

one thing i curious about is to why they included it when they must of known that some one would find it ..sooner or later

im glad it was sooner rather than later..

theres a few people now from some other p2p forums that have confirmed that it exists...

the guy( random nut ) who found the exploit
also found some bugs in kazza a while back..

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-03, 02:13 AM   #51
daddydirt
even the losers

Default meltdown...

anybody else been following this??

(.)(.)(.)(.)(.) on the fuken f0rum drama-meter

the following classic post is courtesy of ESV forum mod SharePro

QUOTE (SharePro Posted: Oct 5 2003 @ 10:12 AM)
I didnt get Random Nuts name from ES5. No where on this board or anywhere does ES5 ask you your name. So again, me spreading Random Nut's name is something I did on my own degree.

Kazaa will probably run after him for building K-Lite and so will the RIAA. That is his problem, but again, I didnt put his name up because of Kazaa or the RIAA. They can do their own dirty work.

If somebody puts one of my users at risk doing anti P2P work, and I have the opportunity, I would break every bone in their body. What he did was not 'cool', Perhaps it may have been for K++ users, but say that he did it against you and deleted your files.

Lets say that he was using a Microsoft exploit that old Bill Gates had in the operating system and forgot to take out. God knows there are millions. Lets say that Random Nut is responsible for erasing your files, and telling others to do so. He gets a pat on the back by his buddies for being a hacker, and then he gets the shit kicked out of him by the people he has hurt. Having advanced computer skills does not make somebody god.

Thank god nobodys files were deleted. Filehoover caught it in time and the exploit would only allow a very advanced user to execute it. In reality, if I would of heard of one person whos computer files had gone missing, I would pay $3,000 to somebody with airfare and accomidation to show up at his home. I'll even be more blunt, I made the telephone call and put somebody on standby yesterday. I dont fuck around when it comes to my users.

I am responsible for a lot of users, and I take it very personal. I have invested over 2 years into this specific project. I dont delete files, I provide them. I provide direct verified downloads, streaming, FTP services and lots more for free.

If he had done something to me directly, or to ES5, you would have never heard his name. The minute he tried to screw with my users, he should know that my only responsibility is to my users. Why the fuck should I protect somebodys identity who is malicious? Can somebody please answer that? You want to hurt my users and you want me to remain quiet? Sorry, in my world, things dont work that way.

Random Nut didnt do anything to help the users or P2Pr's, he did it for personal gain. He wanted to be in the lime light. Now that his name is rolling around, he is exactly where he wanted to be. Only I think in the long run, his name being rolled, specifically with Kazaa and the RIAA after him, all this will have caused him more damage than good. That is his problem and I am not merciful to those who try to delete the files of my users. Sorry, he's anti p2p in my book. But again, I didnt print his name to help neither Kazaa or the RIAA. I did it so that my users will have his address if shit happens.

I have had his address for a long time, over 6 months, so again, I never published it while he bashed and thrashed es5. Why should I? He has every right to voice his opinion for good or bad. The minute he actively created an executable exploit and promoted deleting my users files, he crossed the line.

I can be just as malicious and hurtful, if not 1 million times worst, than Shaun Garriock could ever be. I am of action, not words. ES5 is not Kazaa. We are the only p2p network to have a direct dialog with our users. No other p2p network even admits to building their network for p2p - they all deny it.

I know that Random Nut knows that I am dead serious when I say I would easily pay a couple thousand dollars for somebody to physically hurt him if he did damage to my users. I am not egotistical and nor would I do it for egotistical reasons. I would do it to protect our users and other people from his bullshit anti p2p dirty tactics.

This is NOT an issue of network competition we are talking about. We are talking about people and their private computers getting fucked by the malicious activity of an evil individual.

ES5 actually backs its users. If something happens to you guys, then I feel it happened to me. If I can help, then be sure I will. I am not Kazaa who stands by and watches their users get sued, specifically little 12 year old girls and does nothing.

So when people ask how SharePro could say and/or do such a thing, understand the difference between networks.

Followed By An ES5 User...

QUOTE (Anon Y Mous Posted: Oct 5 2003 @ 10:25 AM)
SharePro, I appreciate the fact that you are so protective of ES5 users - but, you may want to delete your
prevous post right away.

I am not sure whether you are thinking this thru very carefully. Your words will come back to hurt you.
In essence, you will give ES5 even more bad PR - worse than the 15 million user thing, worse than this
exploit RandNut thing.

I'm trying to help you here. I don't want want you to shoot yourself and ES5 in the foot.
I realize that you don't hold anything back, and you really do say what you think, but someone
will copy these words and post them into other forums - they will use this against you.

Please, please - delete that post before anyone else sees this. Ask any of your mods what they think.
This may only end up hurting ES5 further in the eyes of potential P2Pers.
daddydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-03, 02:26 AM   #52
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Big Laugh

Considering it is a centralized service and a closed source application where the trust relies solely on the service provider, I think I can live my life without ever installing this particular application.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-03, 03:03 AM   #53
napho
Dawn's private genie

I see that SharePro has hired some new "programmers".
Attached Images

napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-03, 06:28 AM   #54
JackSpratts

i don't know if everyone involved in the war of words is fourteen years old or just acts like they are but they aren't giving anyone any reasons to have anything to do with them or their forums or their programs. that these squabbles aren’t taken seriously by the filesharing community in general (outside the warring camps usually) doesn’t mean they’re not harmful to p2p and the image formed by the general public, opinion leaders and lawmakers. if zp and es5 weren't already operating then the riaa might do well to invent them. cooler heads need to exert influence on this one pronto but i don’t see those heads prevailing in either place at the moment.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-03, 06:22 AM   #55
inky
blah..blah..blah..

I just registerd on the ES5 foeum and had a look around and appears that most of the people who post there are about 13yrs old except of course for sharepro who must be all of 9yrs old.

I reckon this is a plot by terrorists to de-stabilise the western world by striking at the very heart of our civilised society ie musicians and film stars, first they will destroy the recording industry, next the movie industry and finally the world, yes the world I tell you....
inky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-03, 06:35 AM   #56
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Big Laugh

Quote:
Originally posted by inky
I just registerd on the ES5 foeum and had a look around and appears that most of the people who post there are about 13yrs old except of course for sharepro who must be all of 9yrs old.
Their promotional style has been a sort of mixture of Father Time and Comical Ali - maybe it is effective in that age group...

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote