P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 25-09-02, 02:48 AM   #1
KALMANI

Evil Black Grin Diet Kaza 2.0 Beta Is Out!!!

Hey you guys, Chip made the beta version of Diet Kaza 2.0 which will work with Kazaa and Kazaa lite 2.0 and remeber its a beta plus for the read file go here DIET KAZA 2.0 BETA READ ME FILE , and download it at DIET KAZA 2.0 BETA DOWNLOAD Have FUN & Remember it makes your particapation level steady at 1000!!! BYE

Last edited by KALMANI : 25-09-02 at 04:01 AM.
Old 25-09-02, 02:57 AM   #2
napho
Dawn's private genie

Long Live Chip!
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-02, 05:14 AM   #3
jaan

Default Re: Diet Kaza 2.0 Beta Is Out!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by KALMANI
it makes your particapation level steady at 1000!!!
there you go... the ultimate argument in those long and heated "leech control" discussions: no matter what system you devise, somebody somewhere will hack it, and introduce their "leech-away-without-worrying" client to cheering public as a novelty...

a question: do you think the next KMD should follow DK's "innovation", and also boost everyones PL to 1000?

- jaan
jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-02, 06:03 AM   #4
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink Re: Re: Diet Kaza 2.0 Beta Is Out!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by jaan
there you go... the ultimate argument in those long and heated "leech control" discussions: no matter what system you devise, somebody somewhere will hack it, and introduce their "leech-away-without-worrying" client to cheering public as a novelty...

a question: do you think the next KMD should follow DK's "innovation", and also boost everyones PL to 1000?

- jaan
Hi jaan, nice to see you around!

My conclusion from cases like this is that in a decentralized environment a client must treat any declarations by other clients (especially those that are used as some kind of merits for better bandwidth or queue treatment) as declarations only until they can be directly verified or confirmed by trusted peer contacts (if the network supports trust relations between peers). As the example shows, closed source clients are not any safer against cheating and other abuse than open source ones.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-02, 09:11 AM   #5
JackSpratts

my feeling is that leech systems shouldn't be automated but should be under the exclusive control of the host, as he or she's the one who's harmed. if the host doesn't mind, then the upload continues. if the host has a problem with the leech then the upload can be stopped. two things are helpful for this; one is an easy way to manually browse files plus the u/loaders' nick should be followed by an "amount of shared files number", say "jackspratts@grokster5264" and the other is an easy way to manually stop uploads that also blocks the uploader from reaquiring any file from the host during the session. the protocol should be reviewed regularly, tested against hackers and changed when needed. automated systems sound good in theory but in practice are usually flawed and abused, as noted.

automated leech controls, like other forms of social control, may end up harming honest people more than they do dishonest ones i fear.

the kazaa control is already getting a reputation as leech friendly for this reason. when it harms honest users to any large degree it offers them yet another reason to migrate to a different client. no one likes being a sucker.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-02, 09:42 AM   #6
zombywoof

Question..........Wouldn't anyone be compelled to try or use an app, if you can get it that enhances your searches and or downloads?
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-02, 11:03 AM   #7
jaan

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
my feeling is that leech systems shouldn't be automated but should be under the exclusive control of the host
i think you are missing the point. as tankgirl pointed out, no system is hack-proof if it relies on information from untrusted peer. no matter if it's automated or not.

in your example, i'm sure both the username and file list would be altered to give out an impression of a "sharing god". provided there's enough motivation for hackers (ie enough users applying the non-automated control) to alter them that is.

- jaan
Old 25-09-02, 11:16 AM   #8
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by jaan
i think you are missing the point. as tankgirl pointed out, no system is hack-proof if it relies on information from untrusted peer. no matter if it's automated or not.

in your example, i'm sure both the username and file list would be altered to give out an impression of a "sharing god". provided there's enough motivation for hackers (ie enough users applying the non-automated control) to alter them that is.

- jaan
missing the point? lol, it is the point. kazaa's been out over a year and no one to my knowledge has corrupted the "find more from same user" info, up to now used as a manual leech control among other things, whereas this new automated scheme's been compromised in less than 24 hours.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-02, 11:49 AM   #9
[Dark]
1981 - 2003

seems to be gone...anyone grab this??
[Dark] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-02, 11:57 AM   #10
zombywoof

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkManX
seems to be gone...anyone grab this??
yea..you need it?
Old 25-09-02, 11:58 AM   #11
[Dark]
1981 - 2003

yes i do....
Old 25-09-02, 12:06 PM   #12
zombywoof

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkManX
yes i do....
Check yer PM
Old 25-09-02, 02:38 PM   #13
jaan

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
kazaa's been out over a year and no one to my knowledge has corrupted the "find more from same user" info, up to now used as a manual leech control among other things, whereas this new automated scheme's been compromised in less than 24 hours.
sure, but the reason behind that is that there's more motivation to hack an automated scheme, not because they are inherently easier to hack, as you seemed to imply. (the increased motivation, in turn, comes from the fact that automated schemes are more effective/visible in general.) my apologies if i misunderstood you.

- jaan
Old 25-09-02, 04:36 PM   #14
[Dark]
1981 - 2003

Quote:
Originally posted by oscar

Check yer PM

thanks mate!
Old 26-09-02, 03:05 PM   #15
JediForce77
A Jedi's Strength Flows From TheForce.net

Can someone help me get the new DietK 2.0 beta?
Link doesn't work, can't find it on any websites, or FTC.
JediForce77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-02, 03:53 PM   #16
zombywoof

Quote:
Originally posted by JediForce77
Can someone help me get the new DietK 2.0 beta?
Link doesn't work, can't find it on any websites, or FTC.

PM sent
Old 26-09-02, 04:37 PM   #17
JediForce77
A Jedi's Strength Flows From TheForce.net

Thank you Works great.

Diet Kaza 2.0 beta 1 ready for testing...
JediForce77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-02, 12:16 AM   #18
neptuneswheel

Hey Oscar, can you get me a copy of dietk2? I went to the irc tonight trying to get it, but it was a hoax. Chip was messing around trying to get a bunch of people in his chat.
neptuneswheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-02, 07:26 AM   #19
zombywoof

Quote:
Originally posted by neptuneswheel
Hey Oscar, can you get me a copy of dietk2? I went to the irc tonight trying to get it, but it was a hoax. Chip was messing around trying to get a bunch of people in his chat.

I didn't stick around either.