P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > The Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Music Rhythm of the Underground.

Old 19-12-06, 05:26 PM   #1
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

Skull Wolfgang's Vault

Entrepreneur Bill Sagan once came upon a fleet of 40 foot trucks filled to bursting with 60's and 70s music memorabilia collected by rock impresario Bill Graham, and bought the whole lot for about 6 million: photographs, posters, tickets, any and everything you can imagine, including thousands of high quality soundboard recordings of the biggest rock stars of the time caught in the act. This collection was the impetus for Wolfgang's Vault--originally created to sell off bits of these archives and now mostly hawking reproductions on T-shirts and coffee mugs etc. More interestingly, the site also allows visitors to stream these never released live recordings of Cream, The Doors, Hendrix, Zeppelin, Floyd, The Stones, Zappa and others.

Well, man your streamrippers and get 'em while they're hot if you're interested folks, because these recordings may soon disappear (into the P2P Underground, at least). Members of Led Zeppelin, The Doors, The Grateful Dead and Carlos Santana are taking Sagan to federal court friday to sue his pants, and most likely his website, off. Stay tuned.
Ramona_A_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-06, 07:12 PM   #2
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona_A_Stone View Post
Entrepreneur Bill Sagan once came upon a fleet of 40 foot trucks filled to bursting with 60's and 70s music memorabilia collected by rock impresario Bill Graham, and bought the whole lot for about 6 million: photographs, posters, tickets, any and everything you can imagine, including thousands of high quality soundboard recordings of the biggest rock stars of the time caught in the act. This collection was the impetus for Wolfgang's Vault--originally created to sell off bits of these archives and now mostly hawking reproductions on T-shirts and coffee mugs etc. More interestingly, the site also allows visitors to stream these never released live recordings of Cream, The Doors, Hendrix, Zeppelin, Floyd, The Stones, Zappa and others.

Well, man your streamrippers and get 'em while they're hot if you're interested folks, because these recordings may soon disappear (into the P2P Underground, at least). Members of Led Zeppelin, The Doors, The Grateful Dead and Carlos Santana are taking Sagan to federal court friday to sue his pants, and most likely his website, off. Stay tuned.
seems like the bands in question would have a case, no? selling reproductions of memorabilia is not the quite the same as selling memorabilia.

edit: btw, the quality is good - anybody know how to rip this stuff?
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-06, 08:00 PM   #3
JackSpratts

they can have the pants. just let me at those soundboards.

btw, the comments are harsh, if comical.

December 19th,
3:21 pm

OOOH, I’m worried about my collection now. Who’s gonna come looking for me when I sell my Tuesday Night Jam poster? The pig??

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/200...-love-for-you/

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-06, 08:29 PM   #4
theknife

so how do you rip it all?
Old 19-12-06, 08:47 PM   #5
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife View Post
i haven't registered.

you'll need to know a few things about this to say.

- like -

open or propriatary player?

can you find the stream (notepad or netstat) and feed to winamp?
Old 19-12-06, 09:50 PM   #6
theknife

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpratts View Post
i haven't registered.
bugmenot@bugmenot.com
bugmenot
Old 19-12-06, 11:55 PM   #7
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife
Well, first I confess ignorance of both fancy ripping technologies and the site itself. (I wrote the post (from memory) after hearing an article on NPR in the car (which featured a rather exquisite Santana clip) and a cursory glance at the site. (My own computer is currently enslaved in a new studio and offline so I'm a bit of tourist on the roommate's mac lately.)) But having said all that, I've never encountered anything that, if it will play on my machine at all, I couldn't route directly to SoundForge for real time recording as a wav, with pristine results... if I had to.

And sure the artists have a case, too bad for them that information has that pesky tendency of wanting to be free.

Last edited by Ramona_A_Stone : 20-12-06 at 12:00 AM. Reason: sardonic p.s.
Old 20-12-06, 01:10 AM   #8
JackSpratts

i haven't been able to stream this to winamp (so far). in source the flash site has no addresses while netstat isn't coughing up them up either, at least nothing acceptable to my players. the good news is the quality. on the elton john concert from 1970 at least it's very clean, both for ancient vault stuff and streams, and well worth capturing i would think. if the frequency response isn't the widest the dynamics are great and the performance is a nice surprise and it's all keeping me up way past my bedtime. i know i want it. it's probably going to be a sound card recording tho, either with a wav like ramona ah, implies, or playing around with an mp3 to get the bit rates matched and save some space. my guess here is no more than 128kbs, but probably less. most likely this is a 96kbs encode.

the best thing would be to have highbit dubs from the tapes up but assuming this site sticks around we'll probably see some ripping shortcuts soon.

this is a nice little find.

thank you mr graham.

- js.
Old 20-12-06, 04:32 AM   #9
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Audacity is a good free wav editor if anyone is interested
not far off cooledit or soundforge

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-06, 10:35 AM   #10
JackSpratts

before (if) this stuff vanishes into copyright purgatory i'm grabbing the elton john concert the old-fashioned way: analog w/a twist.

· i ran a cable from my laptop's headphone jack to my hi-fi vcr's 2-track audio in.

· i popped in a blank video tape, set the channel to av and hit record.

· i started streamming.

that's it.

the vcr's frequency response is wider than the wolfgang stream and the noise floor lower so it captures wider dynamics too (hi-fi vcrs can have very good audio chains).

it's not the perfect solution but the recording will be nearly indistingishable from the stream so it'll work out fine for now (i tested it). the important thing is i'll have a good copy.

i’ve lived comfortable and well with analog for most of my life…

so i'm cool.

- js.
Old 20-12-06, 11:33 AM   #11
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Let's hope some altruistic Swedish culture lover collects all of them and shares them on Pirate Bay for the humankind to enjoy.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-06, 02:32 PM   #12
goldie
yea, it's me.

i'd think totalrecorder would work too........i used for grabbing certain otr files a few times.

i have one somewhere but you can find one "somewhere"...

more about it here:

http://www.highcriteria.com/
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-06, 04:37 PM   #13
JackSpratts

there is a well-known issue with logins where you keep getting sent back to the login popup instead of getting the player popup so i'm happy to see they've posted a work around. essentially close out your browser, clear your cookies and go directly to login before you select your stream. needless to say it doesn't always work so they're adding a true fix soon. in the meantime i've emailed them for additional help about this (it only affects ie here, ff and opera are ok) and i've used the opportunity to ask them about the encoding process. while they've returned my emails about the login problem they haven't responded to the codec querry. if and when they do i'll pass it along. course if anyone knows please tell me. oh yeah, my tape came out great - it sounds identical to the stream.

- js.
Old 21-12-06, 05:50 AM   #14
theknife

i couldn't get the damn thing to play last night...everything looked right, but no sound?
Old 21-12-06, 01:53 PM   #15
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

I had no problem TK. (The Bowie concerts are awesome, but not really that hi-fi).

I also noticed this posted on the site:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang's Vault
The Concert Vault is fully licensed by BMI, ASCAP and SESAC, and we pay these performance rights organizations every time you listen to a concert. The license fees make their way back to the performers that made the music. One of our top priorities will always be to make sure that the artists are compensated for their performances.

Yes, downloads are coming! We still have a few details to work out, but plan to begin offering music downloads in the next three to four months. Stay tuned for updates and announcements. Registered Concert Vault listeners will be the first to know.
There's still a lot of genuine memorabilia on the site, and if it's actually paying licensing perhaps they won't completely shut it down. We'll see. Also I registered straight up so I'll keep everyone posted on any announcements.
Old 21-12-06, 04:04 PM   #16
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

Don't miss Genesis: especially The Cage and Afterglow, (Cinema Show and I Know What I Like (In your Wardrobe) are great too), at the Hofheinz in Houston, 1978. Amazing recordings/performances, even though it's sans-Gabriel. (Normally Philbert makes me puke, but I was a little drunk before noon today and really enjoyed the flashback; so far it's the only one I've found that I was actually at.)

Old 21-12-06, 05:51 PM   #17
theknife

Quote:
I had no problem TK. (The Bowie concerts are awesome, but not really that hi-fi).
this is my problem:

Quote:
We have an update on this problem. Specifically, on the problem of the player issuing the "Buffer Full..." message, but NEVER playing any audio.

If the track counter stays at 0:00, then you may be affected by a known network issue that is affecting a small number of listeners. We hope to have it resolved soon. For most people who do see this, it’s sporadic; if you close the player and reopen it you may get a connection. When we have an update on this problem we will post it here.
http://forums.wolfgangsvault.com/forums/post/6289.aspx

lucky me. i'm especially pissed because it worked the first time i tried
Old 21-12-06, 06:10 PM   #18
JackSpratts

have you tried other browsers and computers? i've found one will work when another won't.

i registered the second bugmenot balked. wouldn't miss it.

so far:

elton john - A. zero glitz. he still needs to entertain you, but his inner libarace hasn't surfaced.

america - C-. strictly from hunger. they pissed away the catalog.

allman bros (first of the three shows) - B. a working band very much at work.

asleep at the wheel - C. sloppy.

radio stream - eh...

dickey betts and friends now listening. jam band! wow, i'm creaming nitrous! poor treble unfortunately.

i've been streaming non stop. it's like i just discovred 300 bootlegs on a used hard drive i can't clone and i'm pretty sure the guy's coming to get it back. soon.

- js.
Old 21-12-06, 06:22 PM   #19
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpratts View Post
i've been streaming non stop.
Me too.
Old 21-12-06, 06:44 PM   #20
theknife

ok, i figured out what happened - i installed Total Recorder and it changed my sound device properties. ok, changed it back and got the sound back

...now, back to figuring out how to rip it - Total Recorder does not play the stream, therefore it won't rip it...

Quote:
Me too.
i don't have the hardware Jack has...how are you ripping it, Ramona?