P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 18-07-02, 08:35 PM   #1
JackSpratts

Default They Rented A Bus!!!

By Declan McCullagh
Staff Writer, CNET News.com

WASHINGTON--Enthusiasts of free software disrupted a Commerce Department meeting Wednesday, insisting on their right to debate the entertainment industry over anti-copying technologies.
About a dozen vocal tech activists in the audience challenged speakers, including Jack Valenti, head of the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA), who equated piracy with theft and applauded digital rights management.

"I'm going to accord you the utmost respect," Valenti said. "I'm going to listen to you, but let me finish...The first thing we ought to exhibit is good manners."

The activists, mostly from New Yorkers for Fair Use, interrupted Valenti with hoots and jeers from the back of the room until the former presidential aide offered them the chance to reply.
http://news.com.com/2100-1023-944668.html

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-02, 09:53 AM   #2
SA_Dave
Guardian of the Maturation Chamber

I wish these corporations would stop blatantly overusing the word 'piracy'. To me, piracy means a cheap, near-perfect, "illegal" reproduction of the original. As far as music & movies go, they don't qualify as even the best compression codec doesn't compare to CD or DVD. eBooks don't either IMO, as they don't ever replicate an actual book. If they were talking about software though, the term applies due to the digital nature of software to begin with. I'm glad that p2p is bringing these issues to the forefront. Perhaps the internet & open-source have had a greater influence on people than these companies would like to admit, and undoubtedly the popularity of p2p will continue to move people away from the 'follow the flock & give the shepherd all my money' mentality that has made M$ and others such tyrannical forces of industry.
SA_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote