P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Napsterites News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Napsterites News News/Events Archives.

Old 23-10-07, 08:13 AM   #1
JackSpratts

Default All Over for Oink

International raid

Sources report that the world’s largest private music tracker has been shuttered after its servers were seized last week by tax agents in Amsterdam, and its 24 year old owner arrested at his apartment on Grange Road in Middlesbrough, England earlier today. His employer’s offices were also raided. In addition, the father of the site owner had his home searched.

The site's new splash page claims criminal investigations are proceeding against members.

Officials say the two-year investigation involved Interpol, Cleveland (UK) Police, the aforementioned Dutch authorities from FIOD-ECD SCHIPOL and the British Phonographic Industry (BPI).

- js.
JackSpratts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-07, 09:25 AM   #2
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Thumbs down bastards !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...es/7057812.stm
Attached Images

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard

Last edited by multi : 23-10-07 at 10:41 AM.
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-07, 09:39 PM   #3
naz
-

Oink was great for music, it was the only p2p i still used. now its back to slsk.

napster>kazaa>audiogalaxy>slsk>oink>slsk

going backwards, I guess?

I use usenet for everything else, for music it seems a bit crap
I’ve been a little down because today my doctor diagnosed me with John Travolta Syndrome. It’s a condition where your face or head grows laterally, getting wider year by year. It’s not so much of a problem and it’s nothing to be ashamed of, it’s just a condition. In fact mine is good because it means my brain is getting bigger too. But not that Travolta guy, his head is mostly fat. The doctors said I am much smarter than John Travolta and I believe them.
naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-07, 10:40 PM   #4
napho
Dawn's private genie

Quote:
Originally Posted by naz View Post

I use usenet for everything else, for music it seems a bit crap

Maybe the people who made their rare music available on Oink should do the same on Usenet. Former members can move over and make Usenet more personal and responsive to requests.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-07, 07:17 AM   #5
daddydirt
even the losers

major major bummer......so glad i had 100 torrents running when the shit hit the fan. any repercussions from this and i'll be tracking down a certain canadian genie who had the nerve to wrangle me an invite when i begged him for one.

R.I.P. & thanks , it was great while it lasted.
daddydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-07, 08:55 AM   #6
JackSpratts

my ratio was 5.3!

i'll join you dd but we'll have to take my car to canada. i put a potato in your tailpipe.

speaking of which, we may want to check the extradition situation...

- js.
Old 24-10-07, 02:31 PM   #7
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
A Cleveland Police spokesman said: "This extremely lucrative and creative scheme consisted of a private file-sharing website being set up. Membership was by invitation only.
extremely lucrative? how did Oink make money?
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-07, 02:45 PM   #8
RDixon

If they got the servers, doesn't that mean they got everyone's IPs who used it?
RDixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-07, 03:30 PM   #9
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDixon View Post
If they got the servers, doesn't that mean they got everyone's IPs who used it?
no time to answer. am packing long underwear.

- js.
Old 24-10-07, 03:42 PM   #10
napho
Dawn's private genie

Here are some instructions for American Oink refugees fleeing to Canada. And JS, Canadians don't live in igloos and frigid log cabins.

http://www.radicalmiddle.com/manual.htm
Old 24-10-07, 04:11 PM   #11
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally Posted by napho View Post
JS, Canadians don't live in igloos and frigid log cabins.
i don't care if it's a bacon warehouse as long as it's not a 6x8 "room."

btw napho, do you have a sister?

- js.
Old 24-10-07, 04:45 PM   #12
napho
Dawn's private genie

Only child.
Old 24-10-07, 06:54 PM   #13
daddydirt
even the losers

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife View Post
extremely lucrative? how did Oink make money?
yep....so extremely lucrative that the 24 year old admin worked a full time time job and lived in a one bedroom flat in Middlesbrough.

Quote:
October 24, 2007 10:50 AM

.....yesterday's news of police raids on Oink was another blow for filesharers.

But, is everything that's being reported about Oink accurate? Certainly the details seem far less clear today than they did yesterday: for a start, the 24-year-old man arrested in Middlesbrough has been released, so far without charge.

.....not everything that has been parroted by the media in relation to the case seems entirely correct: for example, the implication that Oink was a subscription service is not true. It was private and, like many other sites, accepted donations from users, but - as most web entrepreneurs will tell you - that hardly ever covers your true costs.

Nor is the idea that it was primarily used to share pre-release music entirely accurate. Oink users have been in touch to say that there was a proportion of pre-release music around (which, by definition, must often come from people inside the recording industry) but that it was not the primary aim of those sharing on Oink.

Where Oink was different to some services was that it required you to upload a certain ratio of material in order to be able to download. This is great news for the UK record industry, which has been more aggressive towards uploaders of music than those who simply leech. But otherwise, the status of tracker websites seems untested in the courts.

A spokesman for the IFPI told me yesterday that Oink was "obviously a standard infringement of UK copyright law" - but it strikes me that the law here is far from obvious; not least because few, if any, filesharing cases ever make it through the legal process.
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technolo...bout_oink.html

another nice piece here
Old 24-10-07, 08:21 PM   #14
JackSpratts

oink was not scene.

rigid mods and admin disliked scene. not necessarily philosophically but qualitatively. haughty oinksterites felt the level of scene rips beneath them.

oink was fairly strict in nearly all areas, from the type of avatar mandatory for members to the brittle moderation on the boards. it contributed frankly to a warped community and one i really couldn't participate in but hey that's england.

they were absolutely inflexible on two points however: rip q and ratio. let's just say it: rips were exemplary. if the rare bad one got past the gate it wasn't from a lack of standards. instead blame the overwhelming success of the place. with over 1000 new adds each day it stood to reason some would slip through. still, even this was minor. for example after a 100 gig binge i found only one album flawed, and that by a preemphasis issue in a flac encode.

in their view scene didn't cut it and lurid press notwithstanding it wasn't their thing. if the scene quality met a minimum standard, they allowed it but only just. they sure didn't praise it.

warez on the other hand was a whole different story. they tracked it all.

- js.
Old 24-10-07, 08:32 PM   #15
naz
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpratts View Post
oink was not scene.

rigid mods and admin disliked scene. not necessarily philosophically but qualitatively. haughty oinksterites felt the level of scene rips beneath them.

oink was fairly strict in nearly all areas, from the type of avatar mandatory for members to the brittle moderation on the boards. it contributed frankly to a warped community and one i really couldn't participate in but hey that's england.

they were absolutely inflexible on two points however: rip q and ratio. let's just say it: rips were exemplary. yet if the rare bad one got past the gate it wasn't from looking the other way. instead blame the overwhelming success of the place. with over 1000 new adds each day it stood to reason some would slip through. even this was minor. after a 100 gig marathon i found only one album flawed, and that by a preemphasis issue in a flac encode.

in their view scene didn't cut it. it wasn't their thing. if the quality met a minimum standard, they allowed it but only just.

- js.
The moderation was way OTT, in Stalinist Russia, everyone must have a cute avatar or it's off to the gulag. Silly rule. Also, the multi-album torrents being banned last year diminished the usability for me. Previous to that I'd downloaded the top 100 albums torrents from Pitchfork (a review site) for the 70s, 80s, 90, 00s. I am still finding great great stuff from that collection, stuff I would never have researched and sourced myself. I understand it was hard to moderate from a quality POV, but hey, I missed it. The quality was terrific and I'm not looking forward to going back to incomplete albums and bad rips on slsk.
I’ve been a little down because today my doctor diagnosed me with John Travolta Syndrome. It’s a condition where your face or head grows laterally, getting wider year by year. It’s not so much of a problem and it’s nothing to be ashamed of, it’s just a condition. In fact mine is good because it means my brain is getting bigger too. But not that Travolta guy, his head is mostly fat. The doctors said I am much smarter than John Travolta and I believe them.
naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-07, 08:51 PM   #16
daddydirt
even the losers

http://dot-slash-csc.iblogger.org/oinkfaq.html
Old 25-10-07, 02:49 AM   #17
tambourine-man
BANG BANG BANG (repeat as necessary)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddydirt View Post
yep....so extremely lucrative that the 24 year old admin worked a full time time job and lived in a one bedroom flat in Middlesbrough.
Hahaha!

I used to live in Middlesbrough.

"I did not authorise the leaking of the name of David Kelly. Nobody was authorised to name David Kelly. I believe we have acted properly throughout" Tony Blair - July 22, 2003
tambourine-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-07, 10:13 AM   #18
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Oink founder: We're just like Google
...more

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-07, 02:16 PM   #19
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi View Post
We're just like Google
they're better.
Old 25-10-07, 03:22 PM   #20
JackSpratts

(re: guardian story)

OiNK> they got my company wrong, but besides that, it's quite a good article
OiNK> the police were here around 30 mins ago, and they were not happy one bit when they left
OiNK> they asked me how i was coping with all the media coming around
OiNK> i said "i don't mind it at all, i'm just telling them the truth, unlike you"

http://tehpaine.blogspot.com/search/label/Oink.cd%20IRC