P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 01-08-02, 12:50 PM   #1
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

Question Unwired

After being the last person on earth to be offered cable internet services, I now have an opportunity also to get wireless service. It's cheaper than cable and the transmitter is almost literally next door. (I can see it from my window) The little salesman (who is obviously on crank) came to my workplace yesterday (even closer to the tower) and offered me the package: $39 a month, unlimited traffic, free receiver dealie-ma-bob and installation. Of course, according to him, it's the ultimate deal. Since I'm virtually ignorant about such things, I just thought I'd ask if anyone here might have comments, opinions or anecdotes to share.
Ramona_A_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-02, 02:46 PM   #2
goldie
yea, it's me.

Default hope you don't mind company

our local wireless dealer is offering the same thing and I'm also very curious.

goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-02, 02:57 PM   #3
napho
Dawn's private genie

You have to check the specs carefully. Some wireless connections have slower download speeds than cable and the cheap ones have uploads through the telephone line like dial-up.
Precipitation and heavy clouds also affect wireless if the dish isn't big enough.
On the upside your plan is unlimited- many cable companies are instituting dl and ul limits with extra costs if you exceed them. Also wireless can be cheaper.
All told it depends on your needs...or in Ramona's case maybe the answer will come to him in a dream.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-02, 03:03 PM   #4
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

Unlimited today doesn't mean unlimited tomorrow tho.
Old 01-08-02, 04:34 PM   #5
JackSpratts

get the specs - is it laser or radio, upload/download speeds, and is it multiplexed? (it will be but how much will it slow down when more people are using it - good for night work, bad for day etc). then find out if you can get out of the deal if you don't like it.

some new laser systems are blindingly fast - i wish i could get an account while some other systems (radio based) can really slow down when traffic builds and these guys sign up more customers.

good luck ramona.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-02, 07:14 PM   #6
greedy_lars
everything you do

i got dsl its 40 a month for 760? down and 128? up. if the bandwidth on that dealie ma bob doesnt kick ass, dun do it.
greedy_lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-02, 10:36 PM   #7
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

Here's their page. On their homepage they boast "speeds up to twice that of DSL." The actual specs are "up to 700/256Kbs/s"

Being not entirely stupid, I did ask if the weather would effect it and was told "absolutely not." I also channelled Dawn and asked specifically if "unlimited today meant unlimited FOREVER," and he assured me it did in fact mean that. (then he twitched, wiggled his nose and sniffed several times)

He also told me that it wouldn't slow down with increased traffic, but told me in the same breath that being very close to it meant my speed would be greater than the norm... these two concepts seem a bit perplexing...

I do not currently have any information about whether it's laser vs. radio.

I do notice a little blurb that might be troubling if it were comprehensible on their support page about telephone connections. (I'll give them a small break for having a ridiculously small amount of information on this page, since it was obviously translated from Greek to Japanese to English and they are a brand spanking new company)

Oh yeah, and the setup and installation fees are all apparently being waived on like an "introductory" plan type thing.
Ramona_A_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-02, 12:16 AM   #8
StereoDeluxe

ask what kind of backbone connection(s) to the internet do they have... and how many users they have. and do the math
StereoDeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-02, 12:29 AM   #9
JackSpratts

that site kind of defines ”minimalist” doesn’t it? ok, the service gives you half the maximum d/l speed of residential adsl but twice the upload speed. the slower d/l is not necessarily an issue since most downloads from home users (i.e. peer-to-peer hosts) are much slower anyway so you won't notice the difference if that's your main activity. you will notice the faster upload speeds every time you send out a file, whether email, mp3 or whatever so that’s good. the 128kbs u/l limiter with most dsl/cable services is a major bottleneck.

i'd give these guys a shot if (and only if) they score high on customer service. you will not believe the difference decent customer service can make in your new high-bandwidth universe. without it you can go crazy fast. bad crazy.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-02, 05:20 AM   #10
Merijn

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawn
Unlimited today doesn't mean unlimited tomorrow tho.
It gets even worse... here in NL some cable providers have the audacity to advertise 'unlimited cable' when in fact it's capped to about 2 mbit down and 16 k/s up, and a monthly limit of a few gigs.
Merijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-02, 11:14 AM   #11
nanook
just one of the gang...

not the last person, yet, Ramona
i just want to be "offered" anything in the realm of these things.
damn 56k.
so another has stepped over to the other side, eh?
good for u Ramona.
i too, will join u............one of these friggin' days!

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-02, 01:16 PM   #12
naz
-

I connect thru a wireless line of sight service ...
Generally my speeds are 20k - 40k up and 300 -500 k down , it varies tho, its faster at night
I’ve been a little down because today my doctor diagnosed me with John Travolta Syndrome. It’s a condition where your face or head grows laterally, getting wider year by year. It’s not so much of a problem and it’s nothing to be ashamed of, it’s just a condition. In fact mine is good because it means my brain is getting bigger too. But not that Travolta guy, his head is mostly fat. The doctors said I am much smarter than John Travolta and I believe them.
naz is offline   Reply With Quote