P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 25-07-02, 03:59 PM   #1
Merijn

Default Kazaa 1.7.2 is out

Hey folks, I saw that Sharman Networks Ltd. released a new version of Kazaa, being 1.7.2.
ZeroPaid.comp posted it today.

New features:
* New Anti-Virus Measures This release includes further protection for users against viruses such as Backdoor.K0wbot.1.3.B. and Benjamin
* Bug fixesA rare vulnerability has been discovered and fixed in in which an attacker could crash your KaZaA. This is fixed with version 1.7.2
* Improved Search & Download Performance content will now be easier to find and more successful to download.

Also, the installer has been redesigned and makes it even easier to click past the License Agreements of Kazaa & Partners, also resulting in a .8 MB size increase. Yay for innovation.

I downloaded the full thing, ripped it apart and created a CleanKazaa 1.7.2 at http://klont.web1000.com/cleankazaa/ .
I advise you all to have fun with it (the FastTrack network seems to have grown to 2.3 petabyte), but I must note that older versions down to 1.4 still work fine. And are less bloatsome.

Merijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-02, 05:27 PM   #2
JackSpratts

Default Re: Kazaa 1.7.2 is out

Quote:
Originally posted by Merijn
I downloaded the full thing, ripped it apart and created a CleanKazaa 1.7.2 at http://klont.web1000.com/cleankazaa/

I advise you all to have fun with it (the FastTrack network seems to have grown to 2.3 petabyte), but I must note that older versions down to 1.4 still work fine. And are less bloatsome.

thanks for the wash merijn - 2 thumbs up, way up!

- js.

JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-02, 07:23 PM   #3
spstn
No Nonsense Nonsense

Say Wha? Can't downlod

I was redirected from Geocities, but I was unable to download anything.

Downloaded files less than 1 Kb.

Any input out there...?

spstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-02, 08:09 PM   #4
JackSpratts

you may have to choose "save target as", it depends on your browser sometimes but first off did you scroll down near the bottom?

- js.
Old 25-07-02, 08:30 PM   #5
spstn
No Nonsense Nonsense

Say Wha?

Hi there Js

I tried "save target as" to no avail.

File downloaded: cleankazaa172.zip 166 Bytes.

I have no problem downloading everything else.

I use Download Accelerator Plus which is working fine.
Under the document type it shows the word "unknown" and is unable to retrieve any file info from the servers.

It looks like I'm gonna have to wait.

Thanks anyways.

Old 25-07-02, 08:44 PM   #6
JackSpratts

check your mail.

- js.
Old 26-07-02, 03:23 AM   #7
Merijn

Web1000 is rather strict on deep-linking. If you configured your browser/downloader/firewall to munge or delete the Referer: string in HTTP requests, you can't download from Web1000. Just enable it for 10 seconds and everything should download.

If all else fails, the Geocities mirror has the files as well in http://www.geocities.com/cleankazaa/cleankazaa172.zip and other versions in similar syntax. It just has a traffic limit of 3 GB/month which I've exceeded more than once halfway the month
Old 26-07-02, 05:30 AM   #8
spstn
No Nonsense Nonsense

Thumbs up

Hi there Merijn.

The Geocities mirror did the trick, and completed the download.

I'm not using a firewall (I have McAffe's, not installed, dough), and I'm not aware of those settings being modified, unless something is amiss in Internet tools-advanced In IExplorer.

If you think so tell me where to look for it.

All other downloads worked perfectly, so this is going to remain a mistery for now.

So thanks for the program and the mirror tip.

Old 26-07-02, 01:14 PM   #9
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Will This Work?

I seem to recall in the heydays of Morpheus, that upgrades were done from copies of the newest software already loaded in users share folders?

If you looked at your share under the software category, you would find Morpheus13.exe etc, so If you take a copy of cleanKazaa172 and rename it to kmd172_en.exe that makes it filename wise the same as a genuine copy, would this fool the other lesser nodes to upgrade with a clean copy, or would it get screwed up by the # of the file?

Just a thought... Well done to our Dutch software man by the way, long may your sites be free from hi-jacking..

Snark...
Attached Images

Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-02, 02:28 PM   #10
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

Default Re: Will This Work?

Quote:
Originally posted by Snarkridden
I seem to recall in the heydays of Morpheus, that upgrades were done from copies of the newest software already loaded in users share folders?

If you looked at your share under the software category, you would find Morpheus13.exe etc, so If you take a copy of cleanKazaa172 and rename it to kmd172_en.exe that makes it filename wise the same as a genuine copy, would this fool the other lesser nodes to upgrade with a clean copy, or would it get screwed up by the # of the file?

Just a thought... Well done to our Dutch software man by the way, long may your sites be free from hi-jacking..

Snark...
Snark I'm not an expert on this but I would strongly suspect that hashing would prevent this from working.

I seem to remember trying a similiar trick trying to rename and older version to the updated version's number and it did not work for me.
butterfly_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-02, 08:35 PM   #11
ssj4_android
Redefining Reality

Uh...a Sig2Dat quicklink just in case someone wants it. Thanks Merijn .
ssj4_android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-02, 07:25 AM   #12
Merijn

Default Re: Will This Work?

Quote:
Originally posted by Snarkridden
If you take a copy of cleanKazaa172 and rename it to kmd172_en.exe that makes it filename wise the same as a genuine copy, would this fool the other lesser nodes to upgrade with a clean copy
Nah, I don't think so. The installer from download.kazaa.com uses a hash to get the correct installer from the Kazaa network (or the website if the network fails). I'm pretty sure of that.
Also, which would you pick: a kmd172_en that over 50 users have, or one that only 2 have, and is a lot smaller than the official one? Don't forget, I am violating the Kazaa EULA by distributing a modified package... (the EULA applies to repackaging as well )

But thanks for all your support
Old 27-07-02, 03:01 PM   #13
spstn
No Nonsense Nonsense

Big Laugh Just an "inquisitive" mind

Quote:
Don't forget, I am violating the Kazaa EULA by distributing a modified package... (the EULA applies to repackaging as well )
First off:
Take a page from the guy who "reverse engineered" the encryption of MS xBox.

By no means are you violating the EULA.

You're simply a restless, dedicated, inquisitive mind just tinkering with it for educational purposes.

The by-product of it it's called freedom of speech (or is it specs...?).

And remember: The first thing you do after reading the postings in this or any other forum is to FORGET everything.

You never REMEMBER.

In case somebody comes knocking to your door you won't be needing to plead the fifth.

See no evil, hear no evil, say no evil.

In P2P WORKS.

Old 27-07-02, 03:10 PM   #14
goldie
yea, it's me.

Thumbs up

Thanks again Merijn!!
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote