P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 12-08-02, 03:53 PM   #1
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Default So, how many P2P sites are there, anyway?

I only know of a couple....there's this one, .org, Zeropaid and Slyck...anyone know of some others?
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-02, 04:06 PM   #2
napho
Dawn's private genie

Thumbs up This one is good too

http://www.unitethecows.com/index.php?s=
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-02, 06:29 PM   #3
JackSpratts

one of the oldest is dslreports - now called broadbandreports. topical only but informative. always worth a look.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-02, 07:47 PM   #4
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

that's a good one - i tweaked my dsl connection there....it is a very wide ranging site and of great interest to any broadband user...

I posted the thread coz i was wondering how big the P2P community really is...is it the same couple of hundred people running around from forum to forum?
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-02, 08:46 PM   #5
spstn
No Nonsense Nonsense

Big Laugh ...plus ONE

Two hundred and ONE since May 200002.

spstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-02, 03:53 PM   #6
SA_Dave
Guardian of the Maturation Chamber

There are thousands of P2P sites, as there are literally thousands of clients. General P2P-community sites are less common, but there are many!

First try the links on VLAIBB's site. NapJunk & P2Pzone are 2 to keep your eye on. Then there are more specific sites eg. KazaaLite, FastTrack, Gnutella, eDonkey, Blubster, Soulseek etc.. Keep in mind that many "topical" sites cover general p2p as well!

I was concerned that the shutdown of all the centralised systems, particularly AG, would further splinter the p2p public but I'm seeing signs of the opposite occuring! BTW AG still has a large community & the forums, particularly FAQ, have become a very busy general p2p discussion area.

So to sum up, there are quite a few others!
SA_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-02, 04:17 PM   #7
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

For a p2p afficiando it is also useful to follow the big nerd sites Slashdot and Kuro5hin. P2P is just one of many topics there but whenever there are threads on p2p, the discussions are often technically in-depth and interesting.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-02, 09:50 PM   #8
spstn
No Nonsense Nonsense

Thumbs down Balkanization No Good

This balkanization process is P2P going backwards.

It may be ok to fly under the RIAA radar for a while, but in the long run, with individual P2P around the corner we'll be entering atomization territory.

The RIAA doesn't need to divide & conquer, and this journey towards lack of critical mass let them alone to present their unilateral view of P2P, and all they need is one law to get passed and this activity becomes ILEGAL.

Almost everyone seem to be forgetting that either the computer or ISPs hold the key to the kingdom and we all know what will happen if this becomes a concrete legal matter.

And in a practical sense you need a 40 hours day just to keep up.

Jumping from forum to forum, opening 4 programs at once to get LESS songs, and slower downloads, than what you used to get just with ONE opened is classic backwarding 101.

Of course you can still skip sleep. Or eating. Or working. Or having a life.

Definetly, I sorely miss a few good programs with solid number of users behind them, but it'll never happen with everyone running in all different directions.

May be is time for these perennial two hundred (and one) to retreat a little bit from hyperspace, and start unifying the tribes again.

What the heck, it worked for China.

Tuesday already and not one song to add to my collection yet . Where do you think all this came from?.

spstn is offline   Reply With Quote