P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 06-08-02, 09:04 PM   #1
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Default Good Stuff

Anyone who read that might wanna read this .

theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-02, 10:10 PM   #2
StereoDeluxe

Good Stuff indeed
StereoDeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-02, 11:09 PM   #3
JackSpratts

janis is turning out to have one of the most articulate and persuasive voices in the copyright reform movement today. good post theknife.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-02, 12:24 AM   #4
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
…America On Line became so prominent by sending out CDs of their product via direct mail. Their growth rate quickly exceeded the capacity of their infrastructure, but that problem does not affect the music industry: they have the infrastructure. Why in the world do they not sign more small artists to a one-record deal, with "first-dibs" rights guaranteed to the record companies, for a comparatively small fee to the artist for the first record? They could send out CDs just the way AOL does, except with maybe 20 cuts per CD, of different artists, mailed quarterly? Eighty good artists per year, in your mailbox. If only one catches fire, the record company exercises their "first dibs" option, the artists can't bolt to a different label, and they get signed for a more standard record deal. Anyone who doesn't catch on gets dropped after one CD… at least they got a shot. Would the cost of this positive publicity really be any more than the cost of fighting file sharing? (henry1)
I think this is an amazing idea. Too bad it will never see the light of day, the record companies will never consider the idea of sending free music directly to consumers. Music clubs already charge people to recieve random music in the mail, which is the same principle as music subscription web sites: charge the consumer to listen to advertisments. The rest of the economy is already moving in the opposite direction and eventually people will earn good money to view ads, and the music industry will be slow to follow suit, as usual.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-02, 03:09 AM   #5
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink Re: Good Stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by theknife
Anyone who read that might wanna read this .

Jepjep, great stuff - thanks for the link, theknife!

The writer makes some very good propositions to the labels but I share the skepticism of Mazer. The big labels are unlikely to follow the advice, and in their unwillingness to change they are keeping their signed artists as 'hostages' to the old order. Indie labels are probably much more open to new business models and willing to co-operate with the evolving online communities. Some success stories there might help to change the general climate.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-02, 07:36 AM   #6
Haole
Pronunciation: 'hau-lE

Such a clearheaded, well written argument by Ms. Ian--not only because her views on this topic are similar to ours, but because she offers the plain truth. Her analogies are perfect.

One reason the record company folks get so possessive about the intellectual property, IMO, is because they feel they are largely responsible for the success of artists who do break--that is, in terms of their development, on an artistic, fashionability, or stylistic level. In one of the most blatant examples of egotistical ramblings, Jerry Wexler (former Atlantic honcho), in his autobiography, actually tries to take credit for turning an Otis Redding song into a smash because of his input. I'm sure that privately these record company people pat themselves on the backs every chance they get, and downloading music spares you from having to actually look at the names of these people on the CD booklets. Don't get me wrong--let's give credit where credit is due--to the musicians, arrangers, producers, engineers. As Janis states, control is definitely a key point.
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-02, 11:19 AM   #7
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Quote:
Originally posted by mdneer
-let's give credit where credit is due--to the musicians, arrangers, producers, engineers. As Janis states, control is definitely a key point.
that would be great....

just wondering if one day the lables ,and music biz executives and all the rest of those ppl crawled back in to the woodwork...disappeared..
would ppl start paying for music from the artists...
after all these yrs of free music...
how will the muso's make a buck..
after it all gets sorted...
will the file trading community
support the artists that have
been left to fend for them selves?
or will a couple of copies of a new relese get bought
and then get traded all over the net...

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-02, 12:15 PM   #8
Haole
Pronunciation: 'hau-lE

Quote:
Originally posted by multi inter user face

:...
how will the muso's make a buck..
after it all gets sorted...
will the file trading community
support the artists that have
been left to fend for them selves?
or will a couple of copies of a new relese get bought
and then get traded all over the net...
Let me put it this way: there probably isn't a great chance that many of us will get rich on our own, in terms of sales, but I think an artist should not make that his/her first concern. If one is resourceful enough, one can find a way. I think the lack of homogenization would revitalize the public's interest in music.
As far as people buying music, I think that indepedent or under-exposed artists give you something to hold on to when you purchase their music. In other words, there's still some mystery there, unlike over-exposed, over-hyped product. On a lot of the music that I've downloaded, I often wish I knew more about it or the artist, so the curiosity factor is high.
Am I rambling?
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-02, 03:40 PM   #9
multi
Thanks for being with arse

yes but no
i basicly agree with the last bit
of what u said there, in the in time
the curious obscure artist has been
the one to stick in my mind and
end up on the favorites list....

i beat the internet