P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 08-08-02, 05:41 AM   #1
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Thumbs up Blubster finds a better alternative to spyware

Slyck has posted Blubster's press release where they announce co-operation with McAfee to help people in their network to avoid virii. The software is free and opt-in, and if there won't be aggressive pushing to those who don't want it, sounds like a good idea to me!

Quote:
from Blubster's press release:

SUNNYVALE, Calif., Aug. 7 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- McAfee.com (Nasdaq: MCAF - News), a leading provider of Web security services, today announced the launch of a special program to provide security services to the over 3 million users of Blubster, one of the world's most popular peer-to-peer file- sharing networks. Through the program, Blubster users will be offered the McAfee.com SecurityCenter free of charge both during the installation process and through a special security "tab" directly accessible from the Blubster client and created especially to showcase McAfee.com services. Since its launch last year, Blubster has frequently appeared on Download.com's list of Top 50 Most Popular Windows Titles, and is consistently signing up over 20,000 new users per week. The partnership with Blubster further expands McAfee.com's presence in Europe and extends its reach into the Spanish-speaking Internet market.
- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-02, 05:57 PM   #2
kento
Apprentice Napsterite

this is great news. thanks for sharing and I hope that more p2p applications will follow the progressive lead that Blubster seems to be taking in the p2p community.

btw nice smileys you have here!
kento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-02, 06:07 PM   #3
alphabeater

bearshare v4 already includes this 'security' tab (between the 'community' and 'theater' buttons on the toolbar). while not as bad as spyware, it's still an annoyance and clutters the interface. it's like an ad posing as a feature, and no way (that i can see) is offered to remove the button once you've seen it and decided you don't want it there.

blubster's been going this way for a while. their site is already pop-up hell with ads for bonzibuddy, internetboost, gator, a deal with a broadband provider and goodness knows what else. i don't understand why they can't just do as trillian (for example) does - make the thing donationware via a link to paypal.

i'm wondering how long until it becomes necessary for someone to make a 'clean blubster'/'blubster lite'.. heck, i already block the homepage in the client.

edit: this story at the register mentions the blubster deal, as well as a similar deal with morpheus (as well as aol and msn!). looks like mcafee are getting aggressive here.. personally i have no desire to install their crappy programs, and no amount of including it them other software is going to change that.

Last edited by alphabeater : 08-08-02 at 06:42 PM.
alphabeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-02, 07:18 PM   #4
zombywoof

I'd rather see all the bloat left out of these apps like audiognome has done over all this time and deal with security on my own.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-02, 08:25 PM   #5
JackSpratts

hi kento and welcome to nu, hope you enjoy the boards!

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-02, 09:19 PM   #6
ssj4_android
Redefining Reality

You really can't get a virus from blubster. It would be better for McAfee to parner with kazaa.
ssj4_android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-02, 09:59 AM   #7
kento
Apprentice Napsterite

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
hi kento and welcome to nu, hope you enjoy the boards!

- js.
thanks JS...there's a lot of reading to do here to get me caught up...i plan to be pretty busy just reading the backlogs in the p2p section for a while...lots of great information here. This site rocks!
Old 09-08-02, 03:03 PM   #8
Merijn

In other news, a new P2P file sharing client was announced that looks suspicously like Blubster: Sphere

Does this look like a blatant ripoff or what?

Merijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-02, 03:09 PM   #9
kento
Apprentice Napsterite

GrinNo

that's interesting Merijn i did not know that blubster used md5 hashing....from that screen shot and some of the things being shared: ocx files and shortcut links from the desktop its looks like whomever's files you are browsing is sharing their entire harddrive!.
Old 09-08-02, 03:27 PM   #10
napho
Dawn's private genie

I don't understand the significance of this tie-in considering that you can already get the Security Center for free.

http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/msc/default.asp
napho is offline   Reply With Quote