P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 20-07-02, 03:02 AM   #1
petriburg

Default disappearing p2p clients?

this past few days, I've been trying to replace a few files that got lost erroneously while I was doing some "housekeeping". My success has been severely limited by several factors.
Diet Kazaa, aka Kazaalite, is down, and looking for servers (see the notice on their homepage); WinMx continues to be as frustrating as ever; what downloads become available are mostly very slow, but the queues, into the 30s and 40s, are intolerable. And the much vaunted Blubster v2.0 has been witheld for time unspecified. (Is this merely technical, or is there a more sinister portent, I wonder). What's happening to p2p? Will things get better? Where do you go for a reliable source of downloads (I'm seeking a broad spectrum of stuff from the 60's to the present day).
I hope that any answers to this post will be of considerable help to many other members of this community. Meantime, thanks in anticipation, folks.

"You are old, father William," the young man said,
"And you hair has become very white;
And yet you incessantly stand on you head -
Do you think, at your age, it is right?"
Lewis Carroll.
petriburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-02, 03:39 AM   #2
napho
Dawn's private genie

The spywarefree clients like KaZaaLite are being hounded by the owners of the original programs. Don't worry though; P2P is very healthy now.

Here's Blubster 2 a little more beta than they expected but it still works fine 98% of the time.

http://www.blubster.com/download/unofficial.htm

http://www.kcugonline.com/kazaalite171.exe

SongSpy is another MP3 program.(spyware free version)

ftp://ftp.hs-niederrhein.de/pub/win9...ngspysetup.exe

SoulSeek has more obscure music and electronic stuff. Doesn't hurt to try it.

http://www.hot.ee/drumbass/soulseek.exe
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-02, 04:00 AM   #3
petriburg

wow, thanks napho for your almost immediate answer. I'll certainly try those out in the next few hours, and for the benefit of others, will post my views as soon as I've given them a try.
Can't help remarking on that one url tho' (for soulseek) - every time I see it, I misread drumbass for dumbass - don't think that's quite the way they see it!! hehehe

Lewis Carroll.
Old 20-07-02, 08:15 AM   #4
ssj4_android
Redefining Reality

I tried the unoffical release of BLubster 2.0. It doesn't let me change the download location, so I don't use it.
ssj4_android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-02, 10:31 AM   #5
mikerosoft
Mikersoft AbuZer

hey petri, i'm not for sure when you posted your complaint about all of the p2p softwares, but i am still going to respond just incase you haven't found one . I would recommend iMesh. It's a great p2p client.. you get multi-person transfers. (i.e.: you can download the same from 2+ people, and it's add's their bandwidth together.. so your downloading from 3 people @ 50kb/s each, your downloading your mp3 @ 150kb/s ). This is what I use, and you can find software, documents, audio, video, and almost anything that you need. They have alot of gigabytes of software, and music and video files, and they have many many fast servers! If you are on a broadband it will be alot better for you, but if you are dial-up then the Multi-Person transfer dosen't do much for you ;-(. Well, I hope that I got this to you in time.. Sorry for the long reply, I just started this today
Old 03-08-02, 03:02 PM   #6
JackSpratts

hi mikerosoft & welcome to nu! i can recomend imesh too (the spyware free version natch) as well as soulseek which has become my #2 client. enjoy the board.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-02, 01:25 AM   #7
petriburg

Thanks, Mikerosoft, and to J.S also, for your endorsement of i-Mesh. In fact, I have been running some evaluation on this program for a couple of weeks, and had very mixed results. Sometimes, a search reveals a particular song for which I am looking, but when I add this to my downloads, it will dl a few hundred k/b, and then expire. In some instances, this download would remain static for a couple of days or more (with my computer running fulltime) - a frustrating state of affairs. In other instances, some of the four and five star listings have downloaded in less time than it takes to enter the next song title! The fast downloads illustrate the value of i-mesh, but the slow ones, which up to now have far outweighed them in number, have made me swing more to KaZaa (Diet variety). Obviously, I always select those files which have most stars an thus promise a quick download, but, beggars can't be choosers - if there's a choice of only one, there's no option!
As previously mentioned, the queues in WinMX are getting longer - sitting all evening looking a a screen with every requested dl unchanging is no fun! I've always advocated patience in using p2p, but sometimes that's a commodity which runs pretty short.
I'm glad to see chip from DietKaZaa on the board here - welcome, chip, if you read this. I'll be applying for the lemon version very soon (and hope it isn't one!).
I'm also interested in Filetopia - it sounds promising. Anybody got some more first hand info on this one?
Thanks again, everyone/

Lewis Carroll.
Old 04-08-02, 02:30 AM   #8
napho
Dawn's private genie

Quote:
Originally posted by petriburg

As previously mentioned, the queues in WinMX are getting longer - sitting all evening looking a a screen with every requested dl unchanging is no fun! I've always advocated patience in using p2p, but sometimes that's a commodity which runs pretty short.
I'm glad to see chip from DietKaZaa on the board here - welcome, chip, if you read this. I'll be applying for the lemon version very soon (and hope it isn't one!).
I'm also interested in Filetopia - it sounds promising. Anybody got some more first hand info on this one?
Thanks again, everyone/

Filetopia doesn't have very many users. It has 600 online right now. You have to join a channel to get anything. Some ppl are having more luck with the old version of WinMX now.

http://www.filesharingzone.de/prog/winmx.exe

napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-02, 02:49 AM   #9
Merijn

Just because KazaaLite is down, can't you just use the regular Kazaa 1.72 or a clean version?

There are more ways to ride the FastTrack
Merijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-02, 04:15 AM   #10
petriburg

Merijn - thanks - I didn't make that very clear, did I? What I should have said is that I have been using DietKazaa (clean version, in other words) more and more lately. For general,
all genres, music, it is still the most successful for me. But I shall still keep an open mind, and try any other application which holds promise, as and when these become available.

Lewis Carroll.
Old 04-08-02, 12:24 PM   #11
mikerosoft
Mikersoft AbuZer

Default iMesh

petri.. i understand where you are coming from completely on the iMesh subject. I get the slow downloads very often, but most of the time my downloads are done before they can slow down. If they do slow down, it is not the p2p clients (iMesh) fault.. the user(s) that you are downloading from have canceled the download from them.. some people are very particular about their bandwidth, and some users on .edu and other lines are paying by the bandwidth usage! haha. Well, just thought that I would fill you in on that.. I'm just suggesting stuff!
Old 05-08-02, 10:07 PM   #12
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by petriburg
...some of the four and five star listings have downloaded in less time than it takes to enter the next song title!
no kidding petri. when imesh is fast it's smokin' and it's on fire right now!

- js.
Attached Images

Old 06-08-02, 07:48 PM   #13
petriburg

Thanks, everyone, for your help. JS, have you got a link to "Dr.Damn" for the clean version of i-mesh? I uninstalled it a couple of weeks ago (or thereabouts) in trying to trace a computer glitch, and since then, haven't been able to get back on to his site - the dreaded 404 syndrome. The "uncleaned" version is something of a mess, by comparison. Have a few friends who want to use it, as well (on my recommendation) but can't find it!

Lewis Carroll.
Old 06-08-02, 07:52 PM   #14
JackSpratts

pm me w/your email. anyone else? just let me know.

- js.
Old 07-08-02, 10:05 PM   #15
petriburg

J S, thanks for the i-Mesh, that's now installed and running. But would you believe, another weird thing has raised it's ugly head?
Shortly after a session with i-Mesh, I closed it down and went to load KaAzz Lite. Wouldn't load. Went as far as the opening page, and up popped the dreaded "this program has performed an illegal operation, and will colse down". I tried running KaZaa Lite with and without "Diet", but no matter what, no way would the program open. I then uninstalled KaZaa Lite and re-installed it, with the same result. Got me puzzled. Have you encountered this problem? Do you think I should clean out all iterations of Kazaa in the register, and then try reinstalling? BTW, I tried to dl a fresh copy of the program, but the site (via Slyck) is down.
Since I had made no changes in the program, just closed it for a few hours while checking out i-mesh, then re-opening, I wonder if the program had been "got at".

Lewis Carroll.
Old 08-08-02, 07:55 AM   #16
JackSpratts

i'm glad to see you're using clean imesh petriburg, you may just find it becoming your number one choice for filesharing now.

usually when a fastrack client won't even load it's because a key spyware component is missing. in a cleaned version it would be a fake component of course so that's where i'd start, but since i've never gone near kazaa, light or otherwise, i can't report on conflicts one way or the other. i don't know how kazaa lite is coded, if it even has to have fake spyware dlls for instance but i'm sure someone here can help with that info.

the fastrack clients i do use, like my own cleaned version of grokster, work well with each other - including the blindingly fast imesh, but if after trying everything i could think of i still couldn't remove a conflict, i'd keep imesh and uninstall the rest.

- js.

Old 08-08-02, 08:11 PM   #17
mikerosoft
Mikersoft AbuZer

petri: for your problems with kazaa, i would recommend using only one p2p client. some clients have a thing with competition, and disable all other p2p clients besides their own! heh, stupid i know but what can we do but ya know..

just incase that dosen't work, then i would try doing what you said, un-installing kazaa and then re-installing and re-registering also (if that is what you said, i just browsed through the post) hehe..
Old 08-08-02, 08:42 PM   #18
petriburg

Hi, JS & Mikerosoft - your comments are taken very much to heart. Frankly, I don't think I shall bother any more with Kazaa, if it's going to perform in such a strange manner. I-Mesh seems to be the way to go, and the users seem to be gravitating there (over 700k this morning).
One thing I noticed after the KaZaa debacle was that, when I re-opened i-Mesh, the downloads which were waiting in the KaZaa window when it closed, were already loaded into the i-Mesh window! Whether or not this is supposed to happen, I don't know, but it sure as hell saved me some typing!
Thank you all for your help Maybe one of these days I shall be able to return the compliment!

Lewis Carroll.