P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 04-08-02, 04:21 PM   #1
napho
Dawn's private genie

Thumbs up Shareaza imports a security file to fight filesharing enemies

Just saw it at UTC. It blocks the IPs of MediaForce,spammers,etc.

http://www.unitethecows.com/forums/s...20postid=9659\
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-02, 04:43 PM   #2
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Excellent security technology. IP-blocking security filters should help a lot in keeping the bad guys - spies, fakers and saboteurs - outside the p2p communities. Filter lists can be easily distributed through trusted websites, e-mail etc.

Thanks for the link, Napho!

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-02, 07:10 PM   #3
zombywoof

Chalk one up for the good guys.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-02, 09:36 PM   #4
spstn
No Nonsense Nonsense

I wonder: Is there any way to adapt these lists to be used with 127.0.0.1 to block them in the hosts file?

Any way to find out their urls?

spstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-02, 02:11 AM   #5
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Yeah Thanks Napho

Thanks for the link, Napho!

Yes 'll buy that... Pity I could not download the file...? need to register? I am registered with SO MANY such boards already.

Now IF some real nice person were to post the attachment HERE that would be real smart... Until then I will have to hand type in all the details from the message that followed... Grrrrrrr

Snark.
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-02, 03:13 AM   #6
Merijn

Quote:
Originally posted by spstn
I wonder: Is there any way to adapt these lists to be used with 127.0.0.1 to block them in the hosts file?

Any way to find out their urls?

[warning - Shareaza n00b talking - the next few lines may make no sens at all]

Well, that depends - if Shareaza uses IPs to connect to, it's impossible to block using a hosts file, since it never bothers to look up the named hosts anyway (like mediaforge01.mforge.net or whatever). I could see why it won't do this because all those DNS lookups would certainly slow Shareaza to a crawl.
You could block separate IPs with a rule-based firewall though.
Merijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-02, 03:57 AM   #7
napho
Dawn's private genie

Here's the file.

http://www.napsterites.org/dawn/maxsecurity.zip

Also it's tough to put those IPs into the hosts file. Most of those guys use a mask.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	url.jpg
Views:	1253
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	2303  
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-02, 10:27 AM   #8
spstn
No Nonsense Nonsense

Thumbs down Oh Dumb, Dumb Me

My apologies to all trying to help with my hosts files angle.

I forgot to mention that my intention was to adapt it to use it with kazaa lite hosts file's supertrick.

Oh well, it happens...

PS: How about a feature like that for kazaa lite? Could it be implemented externally, like speed up or pseudotrack?

To me it looks more important than those tools, given present and future circumstances.

Last edited by spstn : 05-08-02 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-08-02, 12:51 PM   #9
JackSpratts

always good to keep in mind that when it's technically feasible for a p2p to prevent access to the mischievous by blocking their ips it'll just be a matter of time before the riaa gets a court to block contributing individuals as in you and me with the same techniques.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-02, 01:17 PM   #10
Scyth

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
always good to keep in mind that when it's technically feasible for a p2p to prevent access to the mischievous by blocking their ips it'll just be a matter of time before the riaa gets a court to block contributing individuals as in you and me with the same techniques.
- js.
But who would the court get to block us? The blocking has to be done by individual users. It'd take a lot of time to get a court order to block for every single user.
Scyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-02, 05:11 PM   #11
spstn
No Nonsense Nonsense

Lightbulb Questions & questions

I use ADSL and I believe I receive a diff IP every time I log in, and I don't have a registered domain name, so how & who is supposed to block me, unless it's my ISP, after I send my letter requiring a detailed list of files and PROOF in good order from the copyright holder from EACH file in question (Litigation Road is a two way street after all)?

On the other hand these so called cops must have some kind of domain registered, some incorporation going on to operate legally, doesn't that make their filtering more feasible without giving any court related action against let's say 50 million quasi anonymous users the upper hand?

Furthermore, this is for someone with legal background: All this inroad made by the music industry through the spoofing of files, harvesting of info and so on; Can this active participation on the very same networks they want to outlaw be used to undermine their case ?

Can they use these networks without giving validity to their existence?

I'm no power user when it comes to IP matters but let me tell you that the Hosts file trick WORKS.

So I still hope that one of the restless geniuses here will find a way to throw some of the Shareaza bones over the fence.

The hordes are ready, arf..., arf..!

Old 05-08-02, 09:34 PM   #12
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by Scyth

But who would the court get to block us? The blocking has to be done by individual users. It'd take a lot of time to get a court order to block for every single user.
It could happen in a number of ways. For instance, a court might order an upgrade while simultaneously forcing the company to block all previous versions, as part of a negotiated settlement with the various so-called “rights holders”. The upgrade would receive the IPs of “Power Users" entered into the on-line system by RIAA agents and block those heavy users instantly, instead of (or more likely in addition to) contacting the ISPs and beginning the relatively lengthy process of disconnection.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-02, 09:48 PM   #13
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

Thumbs up

Good use of web site

Woohoo
Old 06-08-02, 08:00 AM   #14
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Whatever... it works..

Run Shareaza, but run it with the security file, it really works, try a few searches for regular guaranteed material, then review the hits in the security file, afther you get the report...

"Some results blocked" (or whatever it said on the search page)

Try a few known recent blocked names like that loser Einem? or however it is spelt?

Even Madonna, or surprise surprise "Sting" now there is a turncoat? all for making music FREE, provided its not his eh?

See who's going to be the FIRST to get a hit from the Fake factories...

Yeah.... Snark..
Old 06-08-02, 08:18 AM   #15
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Yes, Snark! Security files are not the only good thing about Shareaza. It is an excellent Gnutella client overall with a slick interface and loads of features. So far it has been 100 % stable for me and also easy on resources - some good p2p programming there!

Support for superpeers, content hashing, metadata and multisourced downloads have all taken Gnutella protocol greatly forward, and with clients like Shareaza the future of Gnutella looks bright.

- tg
Old 07-08-02, 01:04 PM   #16
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Yes indeed!

I have never been a regular user of the "G" networks, they were always fussy, and difficult to understand, until Shareaza appeared.

I like it's technical features, like packet monitor, hits monitor etc, and it does get stuff, resumes days after and finishes a file once started.

So my attention may be slightly distracted from WinMx in the future.. Only thing missing is the social connection, chats etc, but I suppose in these times a bit of anonimity is a good thing..

Love your current avatar, don't change it eh Tg?

Snark...
Old 07-08-02, 06:23 PM   #17
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink Re: Yes indeed!

Quote:
Originally posted by Snarkridden
So my attention may be slightly distracted from WinMx in the future.. Only thing missing is the social connection, chats etc, but I suppose in these times a bit of anonimity is a good thing..
Shareaza supports 1-to-1 chat with other chat-enabled clients. At least other Shareaza and Limewire hosts seem to be available. You can assign yourself a nick and other personal profile data in Tools -> Shareaza Options -> Community.

There's also a handy web link in the Help menu to Shareaza Forum which seems to be a nice and active place.
Quote:
Love your current avatar, don't change it eh Tg?
No promises but I might well keep it for a while....

- tg
Attached Images