P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 02-08-02, 12:42 PM   #1
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Arrow Filetopia 3.01 out

This is the long-awaited new version of Filetopia. Some key features:

- decentralized architecture
- multisourced downloads
- automatic file retrieval
- selectable novice/expert user interface
- selectable sharing mode: open-for-all / trade only
- private messaging and chat channels
- bandwidth and queue controls

Installation went smoothly and the program looks very promising. The centralized version scaled only up to 1000 users but if this one scales well it might be poised for prime time.

Here is Filetopia's download page.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-02, 02:58 PM   #2
napho
Dawn's private genie

It's amazing that this program is older than Napster and has never caught on.
It's almost all trading and downloading within groups; very few users share generally. It seems to work smoothly so far.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-02, 03:37 PM   #3
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows WEll Done TG

Hey I preferred ANY of the previous Avatars, the LIPS do Nothing for me...!!

Nice Link, straight to the point, no messing, the way ALL links should be...

As for the program, being second only to the GREAT Napho in the "must have to try out" stakes, i'll give it a go...

Snark...
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-02, 04:03 PM   #4
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Thumbs up

Here is InfoAnarchy's informative review of Filetopia 3.01:
Quote:
Posted by erik on Sat Aug 3rd, 2002

After almost a year, the new version of Filetopia (Win32, closed source) has finally been released. Filetopia is one of the oldest file sharing networks, the application itself has been around since 1997.

Earlier versions of Filetopia followed a Napster-style network model, with a centralized indexing server serving all clients. This severely limited the scalability of the network. One key difference of Filetopia to other file sharing networks is the use of strong encryption for all data transfers. This should not be confused with anonymity -- it merely makes it harder for a third party to detect what files you are downloading and sending.

The new version of Filetopia uses a "decentralized network" (no further details are provided) and includes a long-awaited feature, multi-source downloading. The application now has support for other languages, although I couldn't find any language packs.

Filetopia is packed with features: IRC-like chat rooms, a private messaging system, text-to-speech engine support, a "trade mode" for limiting sharing to users who return the favor, etc. Unfortunately, the features are not always well integrated into the user interface: There are lots of unintuitive menus, icons and buttons and you often have to go by "Trial and Error" to figure out what's going on. There is often redundancy -- for example, there's an "Options" menu and an "Options" entry in the "Tools" menu.

The signal-to-noise ratio in the chat rooms is very low: You feel almost like you're on AOL. This may have something to do with the focus on gimmicky functionality in the chat part of the application -- you can change fonts and colors of your messages, insert icons like beer mugs or smileys, send an audio message etc. "Away messages" are abused for regular annoying announcements. I've almost immediately received unwanted chat room invitations. Fortunately, at least the fonts and colors can be overridden.

The main problem I had was that the channel-wide search for files didn't work at all. I could search the files that are shared by the users on a specific channel, but not all the files shared on the network. Since channels are typically rather small, I didn't find a file shared by many users that would have allowed me to test the multi-source-downloading.

All in all, Filetopia still needs a lot of polishing, and the search problem makes it unusable for me. Still, it remains probably the most feature-rich file sharing application out there.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote