P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 24-07-02, 06:14 AM   #1
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

NoSmiley RIAA starts campaign against Grokster users

Napster deja vu?

As reported by Slyck...
Quote:
Grokster, acting on the behalf of the RIAA, has become the most active P2P company since Napster to thwart illegal file-sharing. Furthermore, if you're caught sharing copyrighted material, you'll wind up with a cease and desist notice. Complicating Grokster's situation is the proliferation of the adware-free "Clean Grokster" clients.
...and CD Freaks:
Quote:

The typical message being sent out by Grokster is as follows: -

Dear *******,

Grokster has been notified by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) of allegations that you have made available for download certain files that infringe the copyrights of others. Pursuant to Grokster's terms of use, continued violations of the rights of others will result in termination of your username registration. Please take whatever steps are appropriate to avoid further infringement. If, after a 48- hour waiting period, we receive a second such allegation, we will be forced to terminate your username registration. If you believe you have been unjustly accused of infringement, or have any questions concerning the RIAA's allegations, please contact the RIAA directly, at http://www.riaa.org/Contact.cfm, and send a copy to us at abusemail@grokster.com.

Grokster
- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-02, 06:55 AM   #2
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

Default Re: RIAA starts campaign against Grokster users

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl
Napster deja vu?

As reported by Slyck...

...and CD Freaks:

- tg
ungh...scary thoughts....how repugnant grokster has now become...not to mention or coupled by the fact that they(Grokster) recently took over dr.damn' cleanclients.tk url

how long will it be before they go under? (not long is my guess as per the fickle nature of file swappers)

here's a tip:

If you want a wider range of search results then begin your downloads in a cleaned version of kazaa (get more search results this way) then after finding what you want.....transfer your partial .DAT files over to IMESH and get faster download speeds.

~hint~ once the pieces of the .DAT file get reassemble look for you completed file to appear in the original directory in which your download was started.

meaning if you had the download.dat file in C:\program files\kazaa\my shared folder then when your download comletes in IMesh which is some thing like C:\programfiles\internet\download instead of being in the c:\program files\internet\download folder it will be in c:\program files\kazaa\my shared folder directory (where the .dat file was ORIGINALLY located to begin with)

why this tip?

a)you get more search results in KaZaA

b)Grokster is showing themselves to be unscrupulous

c)Imesh is better at speed-wise in finishing your downloads

so you can show your outrage at Grokster by using the above method and counterract the slow download speeds that so many complain of in KaZaA by transferring your partially downloaded .dat files over to your IMESH folder.

hope this has helped someone.

-butterfly_kisses
butterfly_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-02, 09:01 AM   #3
JackSpratts

it's amazing how none of these guys ever learn. grokster just took the first step into oblivion, right behind napster and ag. i querried their forum for comment (and put a copy at dsl). we'll see how - and even if - they respond. thanks tg.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-02, 02:31 AM   #4
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Quote:
If you want a wider range of search results then begin your downloads in a cleaned version of kazaa (get more search results this way) then after finding what you want.....transfer your partial .DAT files over to IMESH and get faster download speeds.

~hint~ once the pieces of the .DAT file get reassemble look for you completed file to appear in the original directory in which your download was started.
Or do like I do and share a Common Download Folder between the two programs...

On my System it's "D:\My Music - Shared" and I just direct both programs to it in Options... No chasing around looking for your files...
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-02, 02:36 AM   #5
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by BuzzB2K

Or do like I do and share a Common Download Folder between the two programs...

On my System it's "D:\My Music - Shared" and I just direct both programs to it in Options... No chasing around looking for your files...
good idea, TA, Buzz
butterfly_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-02, 08:18 PM   #6
spstn
No Nonsense Nonsense

Say Wha? Need help with iMesh

This is for Harby, BuzzB2K or anyone familiar with clean Imesh.

Reading this thread I decided to give it a try but I'm not familiar with it.

I downloaded Imesh 3.1 (IMESHV3.EXE, 2983 KB) from www.kazaalite.nl.

I also had previously downloaded IMESHHACK, 817 KB (March 14, 2002), which came with a readme file stating it was vs 1.1, and with rather stressful instructions about installing-uninstalling the real Imesh, uninstalling new.net without destroying your DUN stack, and then installing ImeshHack.

Not being familiar with Imesh I'm starting to get cold feet.

Finding information to untangle this impasse had proven to be rather difficult.

So i need to know if any of these downloads are of any use and what I need to do do to go right about installation.

My ideal plan would be to share the same download folder with kazaalite.

Any help or links would be greatly appreciated.

spstn is offline   Reply With Quote