P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 28-02-02, 01:04 PM   #1
Marmite Pimp
I Have Filled My Heart With Hate

Default WinMX or what?

So im giving up with Morpheus. Next I guess is WinMx, is that the best - I read a lot of conflicting arguments. I need to update the top 50, R nB, Dance and Rock on a regular basis - will I get a fair crack with WinMX or what?

Cheers.
Micksie
Marmite Pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-02, 01:18 PM   #2
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

Hiya Micksie

Personally, I've had lousy luck trying to get anything from Winmx. They just sit there q'd for eternity.

Then there are some people who adore the program.

I suggest you just try it, and see if you like it or not.
Old 28-02-02, 01:23 PM   #3
pod
Bumbling idiot

I fall in the category of people who love the thing. :-)

WinMX is especially good for popular tracks, like, say, the top 40. You'll get a bunch of results, just hilight a couple of pages or whatever you want, and download all. Sure, some will be queued, some will download right away. Do 'enter remote que' on the queued ones, and in the next few minutes more downloads will start. Then cancel whatever is going too slow.

It's kind of a brute force approach, but has worked really well for me.

BTW, looks like the beta still has a long way to go, I've found some things don't work too well, some don't work at all (like auto-retry), and the whole thing is a little confusing.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-02, 02:31 PM   #4
Marmite Pimp
I Have Filled My Heart With Hate

It is a bit confusing and from 7 d/l 6 were pretty slow despite swapping around for better conn speeds. Better than nothing though. Thanks Dawn Thanks pod
Marmite Pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-02, 02:32 PM   #5
zombywoof

Quote:
Originally posted by pod
I fall in the category of people who love the thing. :-)

WinMX is especially good for popular tracks, like, say, the top 40. You'll get a bunch of results, just hilight a couple of pages or whatever you want, and download all. Sure, some will be queued, some will download right away. Do 'enter remote que' on the queued ones, and in the next few minutes more downloads will start. Then cancel whatever is going too slow.

It's kind of a brute force approach, but has worked really well for me.

That way always worked well for me. Besides that, some of those in queue may even start up if you leave them up a while.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-02, 02:40 PM   #6
goldie
yea, it's me.

Default Re: WinMX or what?

Quote:
Originally posted by micksiemonsta
So im giving up with Morpheus. Next I guess is WinMx, is that the best - I read a lot of conflicting arguments. I need to update the top 50, R nB, Dance and Rock on a regular basis - will I get a fair crack with WinMX or what?

Cheers.
Micksie
Being an 2.6 user I can tell you personally that the P2P system is a horrid little bugger! #1 reason is the eternal, infernal queued status everyone complains about and I always find myself in if looking for songs.

I use Winmx 2.6 and now, 3.0 primarily for the Opennap servers out of curiosity and a bit of fondness for Winmx .

I believe, that once Winnie goes out of beta 3.0 and forces (nice word.....forces!) it's user base to upgrade, things will be much, much better - multi sourcing, more users to chose from etc., couple that with Opennap and I think they'll have a winner.

There's 1 or 2 real buggers in beta5 3.0 I don't like at all! Hopefully they'll straighten them out before the final release

Give it a whirl Micksie - you can't hate what you haven't tried, yes ? It won't foul up your system with unwanted/unneeded junk either

Don't feel bad about ditching morph, I'm doing some serious proggie shopping right along wit cha!

goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-02, 02:44 PM   #7
napho
Dawn's private genie

WinMX is good. Here's an old screenshot.

http://www.napsterites.org/forum/att...hp?postid=6705
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-02, 04:16 PM   #8
Cornhuskerfan1

I like Winmx, I have both versions, the earlier one, I had trouble with users u/ling from me, but the beta 5 one, the users don't have any problem u/ling from me and on the older one I was able to add the extra servers from OpenNap but I can't seem to get them on my newer version even though I have had someone explain it to me, I'm afraid I'll mess something up Anyway all in all I do like Winmx I have found songs on there that I couldn't find on Morpheus

Tami
Cornhuskerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote