P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 26-02-02, 04:34 PM   #1
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

Question A question about sharing

I find that when I try to connect to certain servers, I get "killed" for not sharing enough ( um HELLO, I'm here to try and get more files to share ). That was on Audiognome.

On Winmx, I usually can't connect to very many, and no reason is given. Maybe they just plain don't like the sounds of my user name. Who knows. So I'm left with not very many choices of files to download from. And of course I never get out of the "remotely q'd" stage.

My question is: can people from these servers who won't accept me, still upload from me?
Old 26-02-02, 04:43 PM   #2
napho
Dawn's private genie

If you're not connected to them then they can't upload from you.
Sometimes a server makes a mistake and doesn't realize you are sharing enough.
Some servers don't like certain clients so they're banned. With WinMX you can change the name of your client to something they'll accept. SonikNap is a perfect example. They don't mind Napster 9.6 and I connect every time with WinMX.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-02, 04:50 PM   #3
pod
Bumbling idiot

Connecting to OpenNap or WPNP? What I usually do when I want to increase my search, is connect to all the OpenNap networks. I usually get on about 1/2. The rest are usualyl full or can't be contacted. Some deny WinMX (VERY few do, which is strange because people complain about this all the time... it's not a problem, no large OpenNap networks ban WinMX, that's why they're, well, large

I do find that downloading ANYTHING from OpenNap is very tough, I usually get a busy, and can't ever remotely queue.

My WPNP trick is to just run a search, wait for the several pages of results that usually come up, hilite the whole chunk, and download all! You're bound to get at least 1 download that will start immediately; just cancel the slow ones later. If not, remote queue some of the ones that say busy, and the download will start soon enough.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote