P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 25-02-02, 11:40 AM   #1
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Thumbs down Grokster goes Mandatory with Spyware

From infoAnarchy:

Grokster v1.5 forces CyDoor spyware down your throat weather you like it or not - if the spyware can't call home Grokster refuses to function.

Quote:
Official Grokster reply:
Grokster must earn enough to pay for its development, licensing, servering, bandwidth, support, management and last, but not least, the RIAA and MPAA lawsuits. This adds up to quite a substantial sum each and every month.
We have tried many solutions up to now to develop revenue from the advertising window. Most did not result in even enough revenue to pay for a server monthly, while another resulted in a massive amount of unapproved popups (everyone remember the "bouncing monkeys"). The only solution that was left was Cydoor, as they have figured out how to effectively sell that advertising slot for P2P programs like Grokster.

You agreed to the Cydoor being there when you agreed to the terms and conditions in the current download. It was right at the top, where it could be seen without scrolling down into the other terms and conditions. We put it there to be as visible as possible.
- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-02, 12:18 PM   #2
Smoketoomuch
freak

Ok, sorry if I say it too much, just posted update message, but here is I think the par excellence customer policy, and everyone should follow suit - this proves that there are ways...

Quote:

Cydoor
2.18.02 -There are now two versions of the latest Windows client on the download page. One serves the banners using the Cydoor ad-network. I know they have gotten a lot of bad press and accusations of being spyware, but as far as I can tell they aren't. They collect no personal information all they do is server up the banner at the top of the donkey. If anyone determines that this is not true please let us know and we will remove them immediately.

The reason we choose to use them is that we are making virtually no money from our previous banner system. Anyway we left the non-cydoor version up there for those of you that are really bothered by them. But if you are not please use the Cydoor version.
Its from eDonk. website.

Old 25-02-02, 01:21 PM   #3
indiana_jones
B2B Protagonist ... Life is ... Bubble to Bubble ... Beer to Beer ... love a VLAIBB (Very Lonesome Artificial Intelligence Brained Bubble) @ http://www.geocities.com/vlaibb vlaibb@yahoo.com

some discussion with "support" at grokster forum.

http://www.grokster.com/dcforum/DCForumID4/296.html

at least they have people, who give answers - makes them kind of simpatico.

indy.
UUHash:=1LDYkHDl65OprVz37xN1VSo9b00=

Copy the lines above and use 'Paste from Clipboard' function of
sig2dat 3.11.a (supports quicklinks) to create a startfile for your FastTrack p2p client for safe download

indiana_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-02, 01:33 PM   #4
indiana_jones
B2B Protagonist ... Life is ... Bubble to Bubble ... Beer to Beer ... love a VLAIBB (Very Lonesome Artificial Intelligence Brained Bubble) @ http://www.geocities.com/vlaibb vlaibb@yahoo.com

intersting new estimation technique is used

http://www.grokster.com/dcforum/DCForumID4/302.html

i would add my estimation:
every user shares at least 500 files

indy
UUHash:=1LDYkHDl65OprVz37xN1VSo9b00=

Copy the lines above and use 'Paste from Clipboard' function of
sig2dat 3.11.a (supports quicklinks) to create a startfile for your FastTrack p2p client for safe download

indiana_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-02, 02:59 PM   #5
JackSpratts

thanks guys, good info use grokster if you want of course, but i just can't see the point, not w/morph still up & free.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-02, 05:57 PM   #6
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

For me this just keeps bringing up the question...do you believe commercial backing for p2p programs is really possible in the long run? Any company that provides p2p programs are either sued to death or they don't make enough money to operate so they have to start adding things like spyware or ad banners.

I understand the benefits of a company with their structured operations and debatable efficiency, but p2p programs created by a handful of dedicated users don't have that sell-out dependency of money. I guess it's a give and take debate with both sides having their good and bad points, but now with Grokster and more company supported p2p programs adding questionable software I'm wondering how long this trend will stay as it has.
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-02, 08:03 PM   #7
Scyth

Simple question: why is Cydoor spyware? Cydoor (unless the company is lying) does nothing that your browser doesn't do when you view a banner ad. So, why do people insist on calling it spyware? There's little doubt in my mind that people dislike most 3rd-party revenue generating components not because of what they do, but because they make assumptions about what they do based on the fact that people refer to them as "spyware".
Scyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-02, 02:35 AM   #8
Stoepsel
Waiting For The Night To Fall...

Default Cydoor neutering

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl

Grokster v1.5 forces CyDoor spyware down your throat weather you like it or not - if the spyware can't call home Grokster refuses to function.
I guess most of you are familiar with this tip to neuter Cydoor. It works great with iMesh, and I was wondering if it also does the trick for Grokster 1.5...

Someone willing to try?

Stoepsel
Old 26-02-02, 04:40 AM   #9
Smoketoomuch
freak

yeah, what scyth says. I read this>

"They collect no personal information all they do is server up the banner at the top of the donkey. If anyone determines that this is not true please let us know and we will remove them immediately. "

Morpheus had something very similar, the manner in which the banner appeared and refreshes is similar to the donkey.

I'm not sure which version I have though - every version comes with the option to disable bundled crap, and if you do it, there is no secret software install behind your back. Notice that> "If anyone determines that this is not true please let us know and we will remove them immediately."

So is it a spyware or not? When you see such proposal, then doubt comes. But I think the whole issue is more complicated then that. I guess Cydoor is not a name for one software. I can imagine that the one that comes with Grokster works differently then the one that comes with donkey. Cydoor is rather a company name? I was just wandering...