P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 27-02-02, 12:19 PM   #1
RDixon

Default The Internet is Illegal?

" Lawyers for makers of the file-sharing applications Morpheus and Grokster say that, if their clients can be held responsible for illegal copies of music and motion pictures, then so too should companies such as Microsoft and AOL Time Warner, whose software and Internet connectivity are essential to building networks of file traders. "

http://www.newsbytes.com/news/02/174778.html
Old 27-02-02, 12:30 PM   #2
Xman
It is well established that the RIAA, and only the RIAA, has the right to exploit artists.

Default Re: The Internet is Illegal?

Quote:
Originally posted by RDixon
" Lawyers for makers of the file-sharing applications Morpheus and Grokster say that, if their clients can be held responsible for illegal copies of music and motion pictures, then so too should companies such as Microsoft and AOL Time Warner, whose software and Internet connectivity are essential to building networks of file traders. "

http://www.newsbytes.com/news/02/174778.html
I'm afraid that that's a little bit too logical for judges.
Xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-02, 12:43 PM   #3
napho
Dawn's private genie

That seems like a lame argument. If someone robs a bank maybe the guys who founded it are responsible for it being robbed or the people who put their money in it are to blame for the robbery. If there were no banks or depositors there'd be no robberies. Somehow that doesn't cut it.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-02, 01:29 PM   #4
JackSpratts

putting the “blame” squarely on the creators of file sharing apps for the drought in the record business is like blaming the current water crisis in the northeast on the makers of faucets. there's too much "blame" to go around in the business of file sharing to try to single out one player (even if our descendents will think of it as credit and attempt to give it where due).

the future will remember the foes of file sharing the same way it remembers other such "forward thinkers". like those who opposed books, telephones, recordings, radios, vcrs and the like, history will not be kind. of the six billion people on the planet, there are only about 300 who really want this to stop, and everyone of them has a direct financial interest in maintaining a monopolistic stranglehold on the distribution of ideas. not only are their motives in question but their odds are bad and so is the morality they're so found of flogging.

i don't want to steal anything from anyone. i simply don't want to be forced into paying for something i'm doing myself. if i grow a strawberry from a seed a friend gave me that he pulled out of one he bought at the market, i sure as hell don't expect a bill from a farmer or my door broken down by the fruit police. even if i put the growing instructions on my website. even if I trade the seeds, and people i don't even know use them to grow more strawberries.

if all the guys in the world who generate electricity walked off the job tomorrow and weren't replaced we'd go dark, simple as that. but if every single record company in the world ceased operation to protest these p2ps, we wouldn't even know it on the net. they're that redundant and insignificant. we just don't need them. at all. as a matter of fact, they're starting to get in the way.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-02, 01:50 PM   #5
goldie
yea, it's me.

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts

if all the guys in the world who generate electricity walked off the job tomorrow and weren't replaced we'd go dark, simple as that. but if every single record company in the world ceased operation to protest these p2ps, we wouldn't even know it on the net. they're that redundant and insignificant. we just don't need them. at all. as a matter of fact, they're starting to get in the way.

- js.
HERE HERE STANDING O!!

goldie is offline   Reply With Quote