P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 26-02-02, 02:37 PM   #1
napho
Dawn's private genie

Default Your guesses on what Morpheus 2.0 will be like

Assuming there'll be one.
It's supposed to include gnutella support but who knows.
There's bound to be an upgraded ad bar.
Also I just saw this on the Grokster site.

You may now use your Grokster program to surf the web anonymously! Many users have asked us to include browsing functionality within the Grokster program and now we have done so! And it protects your anonymity also!

Grokster has partnered with Guardster to provide its users with the ability to use the Grokster program to search the web. This makes it easy to monitor your file sharing and surf at the same time easily. And best of all this is free!

Another benefit of the Grokster - Guardster web browser is that all surfing is done anonymously! See these important features:

Guardster hides your computer's unique IP address from web sites and other outside parties, so they cannot see you.

Guardster stops Cookies, Java, JavaScript, ActiveX, Web Bugs and other browsing threats.

Guardster removes privacy and security threats from web pages before serving them to you.

Whenever you start up Grokster, the new Guardster anonymous browsing tool is at the top of the Grokster Start page.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-02, 02:45 PM   #2
Smoketoomuch
freak

A fine browser - definitely not IE - should do that. It is somewhat ironic, that Grokster uses IE and another program that fills the security gaps of IE. IF (and I mean this a big IF) it does what it says. Question is: what they take in return? I guess Guardster is no charity work. Btw, this whole things seems a bit shady to me.
Old 26-02-02, 02:45 PM   #3
Millencolin
Can you see me now? ....Good

Wow! this sounds like a grrrrrreat! program. could ya post the link so i could get the program?
Millencolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-02, 02:59 PM   #4
goldie
yea, it's me.

Screwy Re: Your guesses on what Morpheus 2.0 will be like

Quote:
Originally posted by napho
Assuming there'll be one.
It's supposed to include gnutella support but who knows.
There's bound to be an upgraded ad bar.
Also I just saw this on the Grokster site.

You may now use your Grokster program to surf the web anonymously! Many users have asked us to include browsing functionality within the Grokster program and now we have done so! And it protects your anonymity also!

Grokster has partnered with Guardster to provide its users with the ability to use the Grokster program to search the web. This makes it easy to monitor your file sharing and surf at the same time easily. And best of all this is free!

Another benefit of the Grokster - Guardster web browser is that all surfing is done anonymously! See these important features:

Guardster hides your computer's unique IP address from web sites and other outside parties, so they cannot see you.

Guardster stops Cookies, Java, JavaScript, ActiveX, Web Bugs and other browsing threats.

Guardster removes privacy and security threats from web pages before serving them to you.

Whenever you start up Grokster, the new Guardster anonymous browsing tool is at the top of the Grokster Start page.

Hmmmm...........just an initial first impression of sorts.

Whacha think Napho? Looks a bit like a heavy, bloated interface perhaps?!

Won't stop me from taking my kazaa clone version for a quick test drive and an even quicker uninstall if things seem a bit spooky

My main question would be; $$What$$ do "they" $$gain$$ from $$providing$$ these $$valuable$$ free(?) $$services$$?

There's a string or two in there somewhere we should all be made aware of, huh?

Consumer Beware!
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-02, 03:10 PM   #5
goldie
yea, it's me.

Njah Njah I think I've got it!!

Instead of all those 3rd party websites getting their dirty little hands on your surfing/dling/cookie habits - GROKSTER gets first digs by intercepting the data from you and passing it on to THEIR advertisers which in turn get first class data from users and Grokster gets paid - HAha - yea, that's it - yea - HAha!!

"They're coming to take me away Haha, they're coming to take me away"!!!

goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-02, 03:12 PM   #6
napho
Dawn's private genie

Default Re: Re: Your guesses on what Morpheus 2.0 will be like

Quote:
Originally posted by goldenrod

Hmmmm...........just an initial first impression of sorts.

Whacha think Napho? Looks a bit like a heavy, bloated interface perhaps?!

Won't stop me from taking my kazaa clone version for a quick test drive and an even quicker uninstall if things seem a bit spooky

My main question would be; $$What$$ do "they" $$gain$$ from $$providing$$ these $$valuable$$ free(?) $$services$$?

There's a string or two in there somewhere we should all be made aware of, huh?

Consumer Beware!
I got Aimster over a year ago. It was a simple effective program, gradually they piled one thing on top of another til it didn't work for many people, then they shut down their forums.

Wow! this sounds like a grrrrrreat! program. could ya post the link so i could get the program- here it is Millencolin

http://www.grokster.com
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-02, 04:00 PM   #7
Smoketoomuch
freak

Default Re: I think I've got it!!

Quote:
Originally posted by goldenrod
Instead of all those 3rd party websites getting their dirty little hands on your surfing/dling/cookie habits - GROKSTER gets first digs by intercepting the data from you and passing it on to THEIR advertisers which in turn get first class data from users and Grokster gets paid - HAha - yea, that's it - yea - HAha!!

"They're coming to take me away Haha, they're coming to take me away"!!!

yes yes yes - you are RIGHT! - they catching outgoing personal data, store it on your disk, and when you go to toilet they send it to grogster. They "protect" you in the sense, that you can check which companies know everything about you by seeing what spyware grokster is bundled with, then see which companies are contractors to that spyware. Its better to know that only contractors of Gator, Cydoor and whatever know everything about you and not anyone who just wants to.

ps. run for you life Goldie, run run run
Old 26-02-02, 04:36 PM   #8
JackSpratts

i wonder if you can use their browser to d/l files using a browser based app, like this one for instance (there are others), and therefore doing so anonymously. that would be interesting. grokster might have your ip address but they might not know what you d/l'd. the people who know what you d/l'd wouldn't have your address. i like it. not sure the riaa would enjoy it all that much or china or any gov't for that matter, but it has possibilities.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-02, 05:04 PM   #9
pod
Bumbling idiot

The idea of a distributed/anonymous browser is not all that new. Cult of Dead Cow (http://www.cultdeadcow.com/) has come back from the dead (so to speak) and revealed development of an anonymous browsing network.

The idea in a nutshell is this: everyone who wants to participate runs a node, which is really an http proxy. Very much like FreeNet, a browser sends a request to the network, and it gets passed node to node, until someone decides to actually fetch the request. The result is then passed back until it gets to the requesting node. Unlike FreeNet, content is not restricted only to what's hosted on the FreeNet nodes themselves.

If you're thinking this is slow, you're right. Anyone who has used FreeNet will know what I'm talking about. And as a result of the technical hoop jumping, you won't be able to do anything fancy, don't expect your Hotmail to work over this.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-02, 08:14 PM   #10
Millencolin
Can you see me now? ....Good

Thanks napho
Millencolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-02, 08:20 PM   #11
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

Love

Yes, napho does tend to be helpful