P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 19-02-02, 04:22 PM   #1
napho
Dawn's private genie

Thumbs up These are exciting times for P2P

Kinda makes the Napster days seem dull.

Morph/Kazaa/Grokster have their enthusiastic supporters (props to all the work you guys are putting in to make Morph that much better)
Imesh enjoys a resurgence after almost disappearing not long ago
Edonkey chugs along with fanatical fans and over 100,000 users now
There are well over 200 opennap servers again (many abroad) fueling numerous programs
WinMX is poised to be a huge player soon
New and updated Gnutella clients keep popping up almost daily
DirectConnect quietly has more data on it than Morph
The Freenet protocol looms on the horizon
The French program Taxee has at least 2 users(OK, disregard that)

Yup, exciting times indeed.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-02, 05:04 PM   #2
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

They're especially exciting for me, since I know how to use them
Old 19-02-02, 05:11 PM   #3
JackSpratts

and xolox and blubster and blaze, oh my!

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-02, 08:36 PM   #4
zombywoof

The list goes on and on. Actually, the way in which napster died off, other p2p platforms may have learned something from their fate. Its too bad Napster could not run as it origionally was set out to but it wasn't meant to be.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-02, 09:26 PM   #5
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink Re: These are exciting times for P2P

A good point, Napho.

In the shadow of Napster's drama the p2p content ecology has become way stronger and the software more advanced and versatile. People have become smarter and savvier too. They can use multiple programs to access multiple networks, and a shutdown of any particular network just moves their sharing resources elsewhere. It's gonna get just bigger and more exciting as more people join the fun and the software advances to support an even more addictive presence in the p2p section of cyberspace.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-02, 09:43 PM   #6
greedy_lars
everything you do

while im happily downloading most everything i want, i must say, not now or never again will there be the magic that was when Napster really blew up, and suddenly you could find ANYTHING on it. seems less dramatic now that there are lots of other means. but back then, i downloaded 100s of complete cds on Napster, strange old stuff, out of print things, things that were never printed to begin with like Pink Floyd concert rips.

now that i download lots is like, oh well, cool, i can download all this shit. but funny still a few Zappa tunes i cant find, but ya know, back in the day on Napster would have found em quick.

the only P2P program i will ever feel anything special about is Napster, for these reasons. the rest are just what comes after.
greedy_lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-02, 10:58 PM   #7
Marius

Audiogalaxy.com

frank zappa

271 comments all songs

All Songs 1-25 of 10229 songs

There's not many Zappa songs you won't find at Audiogalaxy, and almost none of them are blocked.

It's strange, but for all the buzz of late Napster, nothing has matched Audiogalaxy for me. I mean in terms of finding rare material.

With Napster there was admittedly the novelty of being able to download tunes from 20 years ago that you never expected to hear again, ever. But where was Martin Newell on Napster? Where was Anthony Phillips? Where, come to that, was Tom Rapp, Duncan Browne and the Amazing Blondel? I never found any of there stuff on Napster, but I've downloaded 100s of their songs from Audiogalaxy.

For me, the Golden Age was just after the demise of Napster and just before Audiogalaxy began "filtering" songs *(although almost no obscure artists are filtered). Suddenly, everything I wanted but couldn't find on Napster was available. This was pure bliss. The rarest, most desirable songs were there for the taking.

I'll admit there was less of the cameraderie, less of the pioneer spirit - less to, of the excitement of sailing in uncharted waters. But for me, at least, the music is the important thing. The music will still be there, burned to hundreds of precious CDs, when Napster, Audiogalaxy, Morpeus, Limewire etc., are no more than distant memories.

And only three years ago, I'd thought most of that music was lost forever.

Yesterday I found a website with MP3s of the theme tunes of English children's programs I listened to growing up. Playing one, I was suddenly six years old again, much to my amazement.

What an amazing thing the internet is!

Marius
Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-02, 11:04 PM   #8
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

Napster was definitely the start of it all, but after the fall of Napster we were introduced to two new features that has made all this more exciting: multi-sourcing and being able to share just about anything. I loved Napster when it was at it's best, but I don't think I can ever go back. Not after seeing the new features of today's generations of p2p programs.
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-02, 12:31 AM   #9
Crankygirl
s.h.i.t. disturber

I'd have to agree with TG and John. Napster opened pandora's box, and a whole lot came flying out. I remember when I first started using Napster. I thought this piece of software was nirvana. Now I must admit as John did, I'd never go back.

P2P has evolved so much over a short time span, and the number of users has risen exponentially. The time will certainly come when Morph, winMX, kazaa, imesh etc. etc. will pass on as well. However, if the next generation of offspring are as wonderful as the first litter, I can hardly wait.

What the suits in the executive offices failed to see, was that when you destroy one P2P program, ten new ones pop up in it's place. Good luck keeping an eye on the entire internet boys.
Crankygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-02, 04:11 AM   #10
greedy_lars
everything you do

"i wouldent go back"

moot point, theres nothing to go back to
greedy_lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-02, 12:13 PM   #11
ssj4_android
Redefining Reality

OT, but what's fileshare (or something like that?) Programs are going for decentralized servers, so they can't be shut down or controlled as easily as napster.
ssj4_android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-02, 03:41 AM   #12
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

Quote:
Originally posted by greedy_lars
"i wouldent go back"

moot point, theres nothing to go back to
I was thinking more in general terms. As you pointed out there is nothing to go back to, but if you compare Napster with the programs of today, in my opinion, I think the programs now are more exciting because of the advance in technology. Napster was definitely exciting back in the day, but if it were still running exactly like it did in the past, do you think you would still use it over the programs of today?

I love music too but I also like downloading movies, software, and just about anything else you can name. Also, the muti-sourcing and resume features of some programs saves me the time and pains from the Napster days. I was definitely thrilled when these features were introduced. I guess to fully reply to Napo's statement I would have to say the excitement will continue as long as they introduce good worthwhile features rather then copying one another.
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-02, 08:36 AM   #13
JackSpratts

If Morpheus (or some other app) queries all nodes on every search and then completely “annonymizes” sharing (perhaps by proxies) so that actual IP #s are hidden, it will be the most powerful distribution system in history. If this is done efficiently and searches & D/Ls are fast, and no longer relegated to specific ports, it will become the worlds' standard client, and the amount of files accessible will make the original Napster look like a small town record store.

How close are we to that ideal? It's hard to say these days. Most program creators are out for a quick buck and couldn't care less about political/social issues. But somehow, somewhere there must be someone cooking something up like this right now. I just hope s/he makes it sometime soon!

And wouldn't that be sumpin?

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote