P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 17-02-02, 08:57 AM   #1
goldie
yea, it's me.

Question What exactly does throttling mean?

I know in Morph there's no control over throttling but in WinMX there is.

Default setting in WinMX is 250 (if I remember correctly) along with the fyi that for high speed conns, this setting should work perfectly.

I lowered my throttle to 100 which seems to stablize things a bit for my 56k.

How does tweaking the throttle help with dling and uling?

TIA, as always.
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-02, 09:17 AM   #2
JackSpratts

hey goldy,

when you set your bandwidth to a certain level, winmx has to throttle (or sample) it several times a minute to keep it within your defined parameters. the faster the throttle, the closer your actual bandwidth stays to the level you requested. tight parameters aren't that critical for someone with high bandwidth as they have more headroom to begin with but it can be extremely important for dial-up users since it can increase speed with other net activities and reduce isp drops. a faster throttle uses more resources however.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-02, 09:39 AM   #3
goldie
yea, it's me.

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
hey goldy,

when you set your bandwidth to a certain level, winmx has to throttle (or sample) it several times a minute to keep it within your defined parameters. the faster the throttle, the closer your actual bandwidth stays to the level you requested. tight parameters aren't that critical for someone with high bandwidth as they have more headroom to begin with but it can be extremely important for dial-up users since it can increase speed with other net activities and reduce isp drops. a faster throttle uses more resources however.

- js.
okay - I think I get it.........well kindof.

A throttle of 250 does more sampling activity per minute than a throttle set at 100? I'm trying to understand the actual meaning of the numbers in relation to a dial-ups/broadband performance JS - having a tough time churning that around in the braincell barn.

Lower is less often, higher is more often? Higher and more often takes more bandwidth?

Bear wit me now, hit a bit of a snag you see........your feedback is appreciated!
Old 17-02-02, 10:51 AM   #4
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

Wink

Throttling is what I wanted to do to napho's neck a week ago.
Old 17-02-02, 11:14 AM   #5
goldie
yea, it's me.

muhaaaa

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawn
Throttling is what I wanted to do to napho's neck a week ago.
Old 17-02-02, 02:14 PM   #6
JackSpratts

higher is better, but uses more cpu resources.

say you can only allot 3.0kbs to winmx users in upload bandwidth. say furthermore that if the u/l bandwidth rises to 3.3kbs, even momentarily, your internet experience will suffer or even cease. it then becomes critical to keep it at exactly 3.0. that's not possible of course, but setting your throttle higher will better hold it to 3.0kbs.

as people try to take as much bandwidth from you as they can for their transfers, winmx will always strive to maintain your selected rate regardless of whether you set it low or high, it's just that setting it higher "throttles it back down” more often.

to find what works best under your particular circumstances you'll have to experiment with this trade off between regulated bandwidth and resources.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-02, 03:09 AM   #7
Stoepsel
Waiting For The Night To Fall...

Quote:
Originally posted by goldenrod

A throttle of 250 does more sampling activity per minute than a throttle set at 100? I'm trying to understand the actual meaning of the numbers in relation to a dial-ups/broadband performance JS - having a tough time churning that around in the braincell barn.

Lower is less often, higher is more often? Higher and more often takes more bandwidth?
Hmmm, I always thought that the number ment, how many milliseconds to wait before taking the next sample. So a higher number means less sampling.

But I could be wrong. So I guess, just play around with the setting and see what works best for you.

Stoepsel