P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 14-02-02, 12:37 PM   #1
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink What do you do with people who share but 'love you to death'?

Have you come across the type? They like your favorite stuff and start downing it which is nice and flattering to begin with... but then it goes on and on systematically from day to day, from week to week, like they were effectively trying to copy your entire HD contents... They never fail to spot a new album you share and like a constant tax on your bandwidth they are there almost 24/7 among the other more random downloaders. They are not leeches nor bots, they are real people that share fairly and may even be kind and responsive... they just love to love you to death....

I myself use Ignore List occasionally as a chill-out place for these over-enthusiastic downloaders just to give a fair chance to others...

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-02, 01:00 PM   #2
napho
Dawn's private genie

I've noticed that on Direct Connect. One guy dl'ed everything I had that was on the hub's topic then started getting totally unrelated things as well. Perhaps they think it's a compliment to your taste.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-02, 01:41 PM   #3
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Default What do I do?

I browse their Lists and take a load from them, then wait for a comment...

Snark.. (Doesn't this look better ?)
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-02, 02:01 PM   #4
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink Re: What do I do?

Quote:
Originally posted by Snarkridden
(Doesn't this look better ?)
Hands off my weed, Snark!

- tg
Old 14-02-02, 03:50 PM   #5
goldie
yea, it's me.

Big Wheeling Grin Re: What do I do?

Quote:
Originally posted by Snarkridden
I browse their Lists and take a load from them, then wait for a comment...

Snark.. (Doesn't this look better ?)
WooHoo Snarkie - looks like ya dun did it now

For normal, easy to find tunes, I find it quite disturbing....being stalked and all.

I've noticed that for rare stuff and OTRadio shows, it's kindof normal behavior to follow one another all around the net. No one seems to mind a bit (me either for that matter). Yea OTR Groupies

You just better make sure you're sharing something, even if it's just 1 or 2 episodes 'cause I'm definitely gonna be checking. If not..............................

goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-02, 08:40 PM   #6
greedy_lars
everything you do

i have dsl, so when im searching and i get a hit on something thats dloading at say 30 or better, i always do a search of what else that person has shared. if theres anything i like, i get it, cause the speed of transfer from said person kicks ass. but usually they have one i want, and tons i dont, but its all good.

i try to share stuff thats out of print, and cant be bought.

and whole cds, not a song or two.

in the last couple of weeks using morpheus ive dloaded many many rolling stones, lep, and zappa albums.

too much fun
greedy_lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-02, 06:49 AM   #7
goldie
yea, it's me.

Default OT 2 Tankgirl

Didn't want to post an entirely new thread lol.

TG, you made a comment in a post I can't exactly remember where, suggesting a good way to convert a dat file to a .mp3 using the Morph proggie and "save as".

By Gosh it worked!!

Here's what I did to a few files which were nearly complete but were missing less than 500 bytes of data:

Found and played the .dat in the my shared folder.

Changed the name to .mp3 while in explorer. Doing that alone put the file into the >my shared folder>. Morpheus categorized the file as "Other" and not a true audio file. So I tried your advice:

Found the newly titled file in >Other>, right clicked and then did a "save as" with the realfilename.mp3 and made sure to type in a few words that this file is missing some data but contains the entire story all but for a missing comment or commerical at the very end.

File is now titled correctly with the mp3 extension (all time data shows also) and showing up perfectly in the audio category of >my media>.

The file's no good for multisourcing but is perfect for the desperate or for those who're having a particular hard time getting those particular episodes (like I did!).

THANK-YOU!!!!!!!

To you TG!
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-02, 05:45 PM   #8
Smoketoomuch
freak

Hei, TankGirl, just wait till I roll you another one:

Old 16-02-02, 07:21 PM   #9
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Smoketoomuch
Hei, TankGirl, just wait till I roll you another one:

Thanks Smoke!

- tg
Old 16-02-02, 10:34 PM   #10
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

Default Re: What do you do with people who share but 'love you to death'?

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl
... but then it goes on and on systematically from day to day, from week to week, like they were effectively trying to copy your entire HD contents... They never fail to spot a new album you share and like a constant tax on your bandwidth they are there almost 24/7 among the other more random downloaders. They are not leeches nor bots, they are real people that share fairly and may even be kind and responsive... they just love to love you to death....
I really didn't notice this problem until I started using programs that have hotlists or favorite lists. I guess with this feature it makes it very easy for someone to browse only your files rather then doing a general search themselves. The problem seems to get worse if you have similar interests and a fast upload speed. As long as they are sharing I usually don't care. Sometimes I even check their files to see if they have anything I would want. Usually they do so it becomes more like a trade.

Don't worry TG I'll be sure to only download off of you once a year ...or maybe change my user name every 2 days to throw you off the track
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote