P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 19-04-08, 11:05 AM   #21
JackSpratts

ok, so here we are three and a half years after mazer's post.

whatcha think - are netizens becoming a voting force in the us? certainly obama has fired up waves of non-voters recently, many of whom may be net users, but getting people out to the polls for a singular event does not necessarily a movement make.

i see politicians taking a bit more care before trampling technology, that the days of indiscriminately creating bills that favor old line business at the expense of online enterprise are passing, and that's good, but i'm not sure it's a reflection of the political power of net users as a block as much as it recognises the now-overwhelming movement of capital to the internet.

as the net itself becomes mainstream and more and more civilians find themselves routinely utilizing it as part of their daily lives the question becomes somewhat academic, but i nevertheless think it is relevant to those who formed the original core of modern users, and i consider everyone here in that group.

where then are we as napsterites, i.e. are we nappies who may not have previously participated politically now registered, voting and locally active, or are we about the same as before all this internet stuff took off, and more generally, have long time net users gained genuine political influence & are we using it to any meaningful effect?

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-08, 08:11 AM   #22
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpratts View Post
ok, so here we are three and a half years after mazer's post.

whatcha think - are netizens becoming a voting force in the us? certainly obama has fired up waves of non-voters recently, many of whom may be net users, but getting people out to the polls for a singular event does not necessarily a movement make.

i see politicians taking a bit more care before trampling technology, that the days of indiscriminately creating bills that favor old line business at the expense of online enterprise are passing, and that's good, but i'm not sure it's a reflection of the political power of net users as a block as much as it recognises the now-overwhelming movement of capital to the internet.

as the net itself becomes mainstream and more and more civilians find themselves routinely utilizing it as part of their daily lives the question becomes somewhat academic, but i nevertheless think it is relevant to those who formed the original core of modern users, and i consider everyone here in that group.

where then are we as napsterites, i.e. are we nappies who may not have previously participated politically now registered, voting and locally active, or are we about the same as before all this internet stuff took off, and more generally, have long time net users gained genuine political influence & are we using it to any meaningful effect?

- js.
i think, as Americans grow up online, the net political community is getting absorbed by the country as a whole and will continue to do so. since netizens represent so many diverse political viewpoints, their impact as a voting force is diluted by their diversity.

as for myself, i was always an active voter so the net hasn't really impacted that...but i have a 17 y/o son who is far more engaged than i was at that age and is just itching to vote (tho unfortunately his 18th bday is a few days after the 2008 Prez Elections). this is a direct result of the net - not just by getting more info, but by interacting with other politically active people and stoking his interests. at his age, i could listen to the political discussion but not much more. the net allows my son to start and participate in political discussions and therefore become much more part of the process. i think this ultimately creates voters - we'll see in November.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-08, 09:41 AM   #23
albed
flippin 'em off

Does anyone really think getting more idiots to the polls will make democratic countries any better. Most of the political rallying cries amount to little more than shallow commercial slogans; "vote for change", "blah blah cheaper gasoline blah blah", etc. aimed at the large segment of low IQ voters who can't or won't put forth the effort to understand complex issues. Why the fuck do we need more of them voting?

I don't think the internet has made dumb voters any smarter; it's just given empty propaganda a wider audience and provided bandwagon appeal to get even apolitical people to support a candidate just because others are and it's the cool thing to do.

And no matter how the presidential election turns out, the vast majority of voters would have preferred someone else in that position. Think about that.

Last edited by albed : 20-04-08 at 11:07 AM.
albed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-08, 06:35 PM   #24
theknife

Quote:
Originally Posted by albed View Post
Does anyone really think getting more idiots to the polls will make democratic countries any better. Most of the political rallying cries amount to little more than shallow commercial slogans; "vote for change", "blah blah cheaper gasoline blah blah", etc. aimed at the large segment of low IQ voters who can't or won't put forth the effort to understand complex issues. Why the fuck do we need more of them voting?

I don't think the internet has made dumb voters any smarter; it's just given empty propaganda a wider audience and provided bandwagon appeal to get even apolitical people to support a candidate just because others are and it's the cool thing to do.

And no matter how the presidential election turns out, the vast majority of voters would have preferred someone else in that position. Think about that.
so only people as smart as you should be able to vote? quite the elitist, aren't we? perhaps we should just roll back the process a couple hundred years and only allow white male landowners to vote...

more information is inherently a good thing - whether people are using it well is impossible to quantify and therefore inarguable. the internet simply expands on what radio, tv, and the printing press has done before it and takes it to the next level.

furthermore, the internet decentralizes the political process in a fundamentally profound way: a candidate now has the ability to go outside of the established party structure to organize and fund-raise at an unprecedented grass-roots level. a national constituent base , a war chest, and a campaign can be created online literally in a matter of hours. in this way, the internet has weakened the top-down nature of party politics - also a good thing, imo.
Old 21-04-08, 02:13 AM   #25
RDixon

Behold, the internet.

My God! It's full of ads and albeds.
Old 21-04-08, 03:43 AM   #26
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife View Post
so only people as smart as you should be able to vote? quite the elitist, aren't we? perhaps we should just roll back the process a couple hundred years and only allow white male landowners to vote...

more information is inherently a good thing - whether people are using it well is impossible to quantify and therefore inarguable. the internet simply expands on what radio, tv, and the printing press has done before it and takes it to the next level.

furthermore, the internet decentralizes the political process in a fundamentally profound way: a candidate now has the ability to go outside of the established party structure to organize and fund-raise at an unprecedented grass-roots level. a national constituent base , a war chest, and a campaign can be created online literally in a matter of hours. in this way, the internet has weakened the top-down nature of party politics - also a good thing, imo.
A couple centuries ago "the process" allowed black male landowners to vote too, and own slaves even. You liberals just can't hide how wrong you are about even the simplest things.

More disinformation is what the internet typically brings over traditional mass media. You'll seldom find anything original on it, just multitudes of people echoing the same things like 'Obama's a muslim'.

Wtf's "profound" about a grassroots campaign. Once again you betray your ignorance of history. But at least on the internet you have lots of company.
Old 21-04-08, 04:53 AM   #27
theknife

i'd forgotten how simple you are:

blah blah blah blah blah liberals blah blah blah blah blah you're ignorant blah blah blah etc etc etc

repeat ad nauseum.
Old 21-04-08, 09:07 AM   #28
albed
flippin 'em off

Now that kind of reply suits you much better than your preprogrammed kneejerk cry of elitist/racist/sexist to respond to any points you can't understand or debate.

It shows that you really can think for yourself.
Old 02-06-08, 03:35 PM   #29
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer
and the worst full of passionate intensity.
Boy does that hit the mark, with those weirdo Hillary supporters bawling and freaking out in front of the news cameras after that DNC decision.

The lying and cheating are just so blatant now it's hard to understand. Why have any pretense at all about rules and fairness?
Old 03-06-08, 01:18 AM   #30
Šiego
Alpha Stoner

Worried a different type of politician is going to be alpha dog, Albed?

Maybe you'll get 'lucky' and Bush will bomb Iran before McBush gets sat.

Š

There's only one way off so you might as well enjoy the ride..

Naphoria - P2P Portal www.naphoria.com/chat

Napsterites mIRC v2 | Napsterites Chat
Šiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 03:23 PM   #31
albed
flippin 'em off

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
Old 03-06-08, 06:43 PM   #32
theknife

i'm watching McCain's speech right now...pretty limp crowd - he reminds me of my old economics professor and just about as inspiring . looking forward to seeing him on stage with Obama, tho - the contrast should be pretty stark.
Old 03-06-08, 08:14 PM   #33
theknife

just watched Hillary's speech.... no concession, can't give up the spotlight, ever the drama queen.
Old 04-06-08, 12:53 AM   #34
Šiego
Alpha Stoner

Being 5 hours ahead of EST, I record Faux 'Fairly Unbalanced' News (I like to know what the (I'm always) Right is saying and I can't get any other cable news online) and watch it the next morning. I'm looking forward to seeing the speeches. I hear McBush used a lime green backdrop and that his speech turned people's stomaches too.

Š 8)

Old 04-06-08, 01:58 AM   #35
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife View Post
i'm watching McCain's speech right now...pretty limp crowd - he reminds me of my old economics professor and just about as inspiring . looking forward to seeing him on stage with Obama, tho - the contrast should be pretty stark.
Being cool will always trump being knowledgeable for way too many voters.

Hillary's still trying to extort the VP position from Obama. Big suprise?

Love the way that piece of shit Jimmy Carter endorsed Obama right after he locked in the nomination. Gutsy move Rambutt.
Old 04-06-08, 04:42 AM   #36
Šiego
Alpha Stoner

McBush spoke before dozens, Hillary before hundreds, Obama before thousands: the future is charted this night.

Obama offers hope, McBush offers despair, Hillary offers nothing at all.

Š

Old 04-06-08, 05:07 AM   #37
albed
flippin 'em off

Wow, your grasp of the finer details of the candidates' positions is nothing short of amazing!
Old 04-06-08, 05:17 AM   #38
Šiego
Alpha Stoner

I know. I'm thinking of starting a blog.....

Š

Last edited by Šiego : 05-06-08 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-06-08, 03:39 PM   #39
theknife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Šiego View Post
McBush spoke before dozens, Hillary before hundreds, Obama before thousands: the future is charted this night.
Š
kudos to the GOP media wiz that scheduled McCain to speak at 8:40, therebye guaranteeing he would be pre-empted and cut off in mid-speech at 9 pm when the SD polls closed
Old 05-06-08, 06:42 PM   #40
albed
flippin 'em off

Like the liberal media needs an excuse. I doubt McCain has gotten one tenth the coverage of Hillary and Obama lately and even now with Hillary out he's still back page news.