Old 08-05-02, 11:29 AM   #4
goldie
yea, it's me.

Default Re: The Newspaper Shop -- Tuesday edition

[quote]Originally posted by walktalker
[b]Real hardcore napsterites require tuesday editions

Quote:

The pop-up ad campaign from hell
Looking for state-of-the-art Internet skulduggery? Try this: Thousands of unsuspecting visitors to a family entertainment site are discovering a cornucopia of unwanted, potentially malicious software on their computers -- the result of a pop-up ad campaign, a booby-trapped Web site, a compromised Web browser, and strange doings at a shadowy Los Angeles company. The story starts at Flowgo, a site that prides itself as the leading family entertainment portal. According to officials at eUniverse, the California firm that operates Flowgo, a pop-up ad that ran at the heavily trafficked humor site for a couple of weeks until late April caused the trouble.
http://salon.com/tech/feature/2002/0...are/index.html
Just posted my opinion about this over at p2p - blech....pfft. Wadda a buncha jerks!!

Quote:
Survey: Opt-Out Is a Cop-Out
Comments gathered by the U.S. Treasury indicate that Americans have plenty of complaints about a recently enacted law that requires customers to opt-out if they want to keep financial institutions from sharing their data. Top items on the grievance list: opt-out notices hidden in thick junk mailings, confusing legal language and the potential for invasive sales tactics. A coalition of 37 state attorneys general went so far as to assert that "current law does not adequately protect consumers' privacy."
http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,52328,00.html
I'll testify to this personally!! This stinkin' law allowed a 3rd party company complete access to my credit card (legal), which they promptly abused to the tune of $79.99 (illegal).

Bad stuff and I'm not letting either company forget it anytime soon!!
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote