P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > The Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Music Rhythm of the Underground.

Old 18-01-02, 09:55 AM   #1
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

Arrow Old songs that you may have forgotten

It's really quiet here at work right now. And Elton John's Tiny Dancer just played on the radio. I was able to really listen and appreciate it. I had forgotten what a good song that was.

Has anybody recently heard songs from long ago that you had forgotten about?
Old 18-01-02, 06:05 PM   #2
zombywoof

Focus - Hocus Pocus
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-02, 07:17 PM   #3
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Eek!

I recently heard a track I had not heard since High School (too long ago)
Grand Funk Railroad - I Can Feel Him In The Morning.
Exellent song!!

Dawn,
That whole album (Madman Across the Water) is another school daze memory!
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-02, 07:52 PM   #4
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

Shy

Quote:
Originally posted by BuzzB2K
I recently heard a track I had not heard since High School (too long ago)
Grand Funk Railroad - I Can Feel Him In The Morning.
Exellent song!!

Dawn,
That whole album (Madman Across the Water) is another school daze memory!
Hehehe, I see we're just about the same age, so I can relate
Old 20-01-02, 12:57 AM   #5
Maze
Rebel With A Cause

Thanks for the song oscar! Hadn't heard that in ages!

Oh good Buzz... that means you, Dawn, gazdet, theknife, myself and quite a few others here are round 'n about the same age!

To answer the question to this thread, I'd have to say "Focus - Hocus Pocus" ...hehe ...no, seriously, Buzz mentioning Grand Funk Railroad made me remember a song I used to like a whole lot when I was a kid... Three Dog Night - Joy To The World ...ya know "joy to the fishes in the deep blue sea ...joy to you and me" ...also Steppenwolf - The Pusher ..."Godamn the pusherman" ...I had a strange childhood. ...lol

...but I've just remembered one song very much in particular: Three Dog Night - Liar

...love that one ...think I'll go look for that right now.

Last edited by Maze : 22-01-02 at 03:08 AM.
Maze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-02, 01:11 AM   #6
gazdet
.- -.. -- .. -.

Whoa ,I saw this thread and as it co-incided with a music program on Rage (here in Aussie) that featured some oldies but goodies, I thought it might be worth mentioning these from our local past.

I doubt you will have heard many of em, not sure.

Handbags & Gladrags - John English (currently being revived by a new band here..forgot their name..not bad tho)

Smiley - Normy Rowe

Comic Conversations - Johnny Farnham

Some good blasts from the past....I'll prob think of some more laterz
gazdet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-02, 01:40 AM   #7
greedy_lars
everything you do

Quote:
Originally posted by Maze
...Three Dog Night...

i recently rediscovered 2 of my loves from childhood, and still love em

Shambala and Never Been To Spain

Mama Told Me Not To Come is pretty good too

saw a red lobster comerical at a buddys house, they use One Is The Lonliest Number to sell shrimp.

capitalism has no respect for art
greedy_lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-02, 01:47 AM   #8
ONEMANBANNED
Push "winky" ! Push!!!

Stephen Bishop "on and on"
ONEMANBANNED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-02, 08:48 AM   #9
daddydirt
even the losers

Default Re: Old songs that you may have forgotten

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawn

there's a song that was featured in Cameron Crowe's Almost Famous
it's still a knockout.........Blodwyn Pig - Dear Jill
excellent

btw......anyone interested in Three Dog Night might want to check out Three Dog Nightmare by Chuck Negron
daddydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-02, 05:38 PM   #10
goldie
yea, it's me.

Love Re: Old songs that you may have forgotten

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawn
It's really quiet here at work right now. And Elton John's Tiny Dancer just played on the radio. I was able to really listen and appreciate it. I had forgotten what a good song that was.

Dancing in the Moonlight - Van Morrison!
Spinning Wheel - Blood, Sweat and Tears!
~and~
Drift Away - Dobie Gray

goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-02, 10:58 AM   #11
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by greedy_lars

i recently rediscovered 2 of my loves from childhood, and still love em

Shambala and Never Been To Spain

Mama Told Me Not To Come is pretty good too

saw a red lobster comerical at a buddys house, they use One Is The Lonliest Number to sell shrimp.

capitalism has no respect for art
lars, you'd love the soundtrack to "drowning mona".

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-02, 11:19 AM   #12
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

After my immersion in the file trade, I'd have to say I haven't forgotten anything. I didn't sleep for a year while binging and purging every memory cell in my brain, and being raised on radio, I became extremely bulimic.

"...the black meat is like a tainted cheese, overpoweringly delicious and nauseating, so that that the eaters eat and vomit and eat again until they fall exhausted..."
--William S. Burroughs, Naked Lunch

The remembering of certain songs certainly delighted me though, and now they all fill a directory called "skeleton closet," which I often let winamp play at random... Dead City Radio baby.

A number of songs are preeminent and worthy of mention among these, and I have to say Madman Across The Water (which I'm actually working on a cover of) is one of them, the version with the string bridge, not the guitar version, along with several other old Elton John pieces. I can barely stand him now, but Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters, Sixty Years On and Levon spring to mind, as well as most of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, especially Grey Seal, This Song's Got No Title, and Danny Bailey.

Quite a bit of Alice Cooper, my two favorite songs being Levity Ball from his first album, Pretties For You and Hard Hearted Alice, a couple of really good psychedelic ballads.

Allman Brothers - Midnight Rider

Badfinger, also, oddly, is a standout. Baby Blue, Day After Day (which features George Harrison on slide guitar and Leon Russell--hometown boy--on piano), and No Matter What never fail to completely freak me out and make me feel like I'm in junior high school and in love for the first awkward time.

The Band - The Weight

Bread - If, more hometown boys.

Blind Faith - Can't Find My way Home, same feeling.

The Three Dog Night song in this weird category is Easy To Be Hard. (I loathed Joy To The World, too overplayed)

It's a Beautiful Day (band name) - White Bird (song title)

A lot of Dylan. I'd mention Don't Think Twice It's Alright, which seems to be the very first song I actually remember hearing, or that stood out on the radio. And Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Tangled Up In Blue, of course.

Donovan. Many, many songs but most especially Wear Your Love Like Heaven, Tangiers and The River Song.

ELO, Can't Get It Out Of My Head.

ELP, many, but particularly Take A Pebble, From The Beginning, and Still.

Lots of George Harrison skeletons in there, including the first ever post-Beatle album by any Beatle: the instrumental Wonderwall. Also a much later song sticks in my head: Dark Horse, which one could find on Napster mis-labeled as an Elvis Costello song. (...Isn't It A Pity?)

The Guess Who, These Eyes, Albert Flasher, Share The Land to name a few. He had a really great voice.

Today, Lather, and Trio by Jefferson Airplane. By the time they became 'Starship,' I kept wishing they'd just leave the planet already.

Ten Years After, especially the songs Here They Come and One of These Days, which still haunt the shit out of me.

Harry Nillson - Jump Into The Fire, Spaceman, Without You, some others...

Jimmy Spheeris - Isle of View (whole album), from my hippy period, best songs being Monte Luna and I Am The Mercury. (actually this proved impossible to find on Napster or just about any other file sharing program, but I happened to run across it in a used record store and ripped it and shared it.)

Weird old girls that haunt me section:

Roberta Flack, verging on obssession with The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (the musicians had to be on valiums) and Killing Me Softly.

Carly Simon - That's The Way I've Always Heard It Should Be, very spooky.

Linda Ronstadt - Long, Long Time. Hopelessly corny I know, but what a sad voice--and that Mellotron! ...I'm gonna cry. (aside to Belle: the eerie sort of similarity to this and Honey is... eerie.)

Lulu - To Sir With Love... Dont laugh at me!!! I only like this one because of the string section and the little wanky guitar. It's got that 'Mersey Beat' thing goin' on.

Melanie Safka - Ring The Living Bell, Lay Down (Candles In The Rain), What Have They Done To My Song, some others.

I'm Just gonna stop now, I've already embarrassed myself enough. (I can't believe I mentioned the Lulu. Thank god I had the good sense not to mention the Petula Clark or the Barry Manilow)
Ramona_A_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-02, 01:37 PM   #13
goldie
yea, it's me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramona_A_Stone
After my immersion in the file trade, I'd have to say I haven't forgotten anything. I didn't sleep for a year while binging and purging every memory cell in my brain, and being raised on radio, I became extremely bulimic.

I'm Just gonna stop now, I've already embarrassed myself enough. (I can't believe I mentioned the Lulu. Thank god I had the good sense not to mention the Petula Clark or the Barry Manilow)

Then I'm embarrassed right there with you

Downtown brings back the memory of being about 5 years old, sitting in the backseat of my dad's big ole buick, coming from my grandparent's house in Downtown Center City Philadelphia. It was raining cats and dogs, it was night time and the city looked so very different than it did during the day time hours. Everything was all shiny and the subway entrances looked like the big gaping mouth of a monster ready to swallow up the world. There were no people walking about, traffic lights were changing when no cars were even in the intersection and being a little kid, I was scared crapless and couldn't wait to get home lol.

Downtown came on just when I thought our buick was the only car left on the planet. I wondered how come MY view of the city didn't match Petula's perspective of the city. It happened to be one of the first songs I ever downloaded.

As a teen, I had the BIGGEST crush on Barry Manilow. He could have been singing Looks Like We Made It, Mandy and Magic just to me and me alone!

I also loved hearing Tony Orlando and Dawn, Knock Three Times, Tie A Yellow Ribbon and He Don't Love You (Like I Love You). My kids think me straight out of the cornfield when I'm in the mood for Tony! I liked watching the tv show too.

Jefferson Airplane/Starship's Miracles - the LONG version mind you, has got to be the biggest turn on tune for me EVER. Well, along with another 50 or so "favorites"!

Neil Sedaka, Laughter in the Rain, Neil and Elton John's Bad Blood, Valerie Carter's, Ooh Child, Steely Dan's, FM, Do It Again, Dusty Springfield's, Preacher's Son, Vicki Lawrence's, The Night that the Lights Went Out in Georgia. Woohoo!

You're right! There are just so many songs from the past and perhaps you've got the best idea of all: setting the jukebox to random and letting it pick any and everything.

Here's to the not-so forgotten tunes of the past! May they live on forever in our hearts and hard drives!!

GR
Old 22-01-02, 02:49 AM   #14
albed
flippin 'em off

Most of my shared folder is oldies you guys might like.
albed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-02, 04:04 AM   #15
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Default Can't Get It Out Of My Head

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramona_A_Stone
The remembering of certain songs certainly delighted me though, and now they all fill a directory called "skeleton closet," which I often let winamp play at random... Dead City Radio baby.

Ramona,

I don't know what you just did but I have been reading and re-reading this list for about 20 or 30 min. now!

Each title would start playing in my head, but for some reason over the top of it all Linda & Carly are doing this weird duet ( I've Always Heard It Should Be a Long, Long Time?) with Lather playing with his toys in the background.

Also, I am one person you didn't need to explain White Bird to... That is still one of my all time favorite songs
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-02, 03:35 PM   #16
Maze
Rebel With A Cause

goldenrod... so interesting the way you described Petula Clark's "Downtown" ...very similar story to my own that I posted a while back before you got here. Read the post here.

Something tells me ya shouldn't drive a car in the rain and listen to "Downtown".
Maze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-02, 04:11 PM   #17
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

I'd encourage you guys, especially Maze, to check out Rx's* version of Downtown. It's on the album Bedside Toxicology. Nivek Ogre on vocals. Classic industrial.

*The band is called Ritalin actually, but they couldn't use the name or get sued by the drug company, so they use the logo "Rx"
Ramona_A_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-02, 04:31 PM   #18
zombywoof

George Harrison - Hear Me Lord
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-02, 07:45 PM   #19
goldie
yea, it's me.

Default awwww man!

Quote:
Originally posted by Maze
goldenrod... so interesting the way you described Petula Clark's "Downtown" ...very similar story to my own that I posted a while back before you got here. Read the post here.

Something tells me ya shouldn't drive a car in the rain and listen to "Downtown".
Thank goodness both incidents had happy endings!!
Funny how a song gets associated with certain parts of people's lives isn't it?

Darn right creepy at times........
Old 24-01-02, 04:44 PM   #20
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

Cool

Ian Hunter. Once Bitten Twice Shy. Man, that is a great song. Been a looooooooong time too.