P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 23-04-03, 12:34 AM   #21
Dovobis
Hey guyz

Imesh clean for southpark episodes.
KazaA for software.
Winmx for music.
Bittorant for movies

Started using Imesh for music after they uncapped their cap for bitrate a little but we'll see how that goes. Other than that they fast connect, lovem lots.

With KazaA I download a lot of trash, gotta search over each file to find the one I want and still run into corrupt crap. But 50/50 get what I want.

Winmx has long que times for a lot of files but seems to have the biggest amount available for high bitrate music files. Gotta be patient though.

Bittorant is kewl, but new and still kinda fishy to me. I'd really like to know what access they have to my files and on which drives they have access too. But other than that, it's fast and haven't downloaded a shit file yet.
Dovobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-03, 09:48 AM   #22
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by assorted
so far, in america and almost every other country, what is being done on kazzaa and all the other p2p networks, and ftps, and everwhere else, is considered illegal. not only is it considered illegal, it is considered theft.
people are working on the legal problems.

the supreme court in the only relevant ruling so far has made it clear: home taping is legal. furthermore, the distribution of that tape is legal. you can do whatever you want with it. the difference now is that congress made a couple of new laws that they say supersede the supreme court's ruling. the problem for the congress and the riaa is that it's always a gamble overruling the supreme court. the court may declare these new digital laws unconstitutional as well.

so to date:

no one's been convicted of copying their personal music items or those of anyone else’s, analog, digital or otherwise - for personal use. furthermore, under the laws that might apply, where prosecutors have actually brought cases (the digital laws that is), the state has not delivered a single conviction. it's not for lack of trying, there have been arrests and trials for distribution and publishing (like holland’s dvd jon and the russian programmer) but no jury has returned a guilty verdict.

prosecutors love to win. if they thought they could score easy victories they’d be busting people for file sharing left and right just like they do for graffiti tagging, substance abuse, soliciting, or the dozens of other smaller crimes people get dragged in for every day. on the other hand they hate losing even more than they love winning and i think they know getting a jury to convict is a very iffy proposition.

also of note:

in europe performance copyrights end after 50 years so all those songs from the “20s, 30s and 40s” and now up until 1953 are perfectly legal to share, i happily noted a while ago. they’re public domain in europe mdneer. you could even sell them if you wanted. not that i recommend it but that’s legal too.

meanwhile my present favs:

soulseek and imesh. love 'em both.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote