P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 03-06-02, 02:36 PM   #1
AweShucks
Just Looking Around

Default Another Kazaa tool

Kazaa Tap http://www.coolshiz.com/

KaZaa Tap is freeware. It is a very cool new program that makes KaZaa ALOT better.

Check out the features:
Removes all BANNERs, POP UP ads, and Spyware!
Makes searches faster, and more results!
Removes the "bitrate" limit on MP3 downloads!
Removes the stupid BonziBuddy/Shopping Icons..
Adds QUICK search shortcuts to the systray!
Changes the KaZaa Start homepage

I think it is rather clear people are sick of Kazaa and its force feeding of 3rd party programs and advertisements.
I wonder how many more of these little tools and hacks there will be?
Old 03-06-02, 03:37 PM   #2
SA_Dave
Guardian of the Maturation Chamber

It's about time somebody did this with Kazaa! I originally saw this posted on the KL forum, but due to overloads I haven't tried it yet. When everyone was still using Morpheus 1.3.3, I was using the same version of Grokster because it didn't crash my computer & it used half the RAM (I only had 32Mb at that time)! The project was later discontinued, but I loved it because it reduced Grokster's memory requirements by a further third. I still have that prog if anyone's interested, but unlike KTap, Grokhak is a patcher.
SA_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-02, 04:37 PM   #3
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

Thanks, Aweshucks i really like hearing about anything that

enhances the fasttrack network or "my kazaa experience"

hello to SA_Dave i really enjoyed your post in the other

thread called "my requirements or what i need" that was cool

butterfly_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-02, 05:06 PM   #4
Pie-Rat
Sailed the Seven Seas

For anyone who's used both... what's the diff between this and Kazaa Lite??

This board Roolz.

Pie-Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-02, 06:33 PM   #5
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by Pie-Rat
This board Roolz.

ya think? hi pie-rat, thanks - we think so too! welcome to nu enjoy the boards.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-02, 07:10 PM   #6
SA_Dave
Guardian of the Maturation Chamber

If you don't have the know-how or the inclination to perform the Supertrick for KazaaLite, you'll still receive pop-ups & connect to the Kazaa homepage (which incidentally contains JavaScripts that are suspect). If you use hosts files, a good app to manage entries is the Hostess, which eliminates duplicates & can merge new files with the old. The trick to delete the contents of the kmd.html file in the \temp dir & make it read-only doesn't always work (particularly on win9x), so this prog (KazaaTap) simplifies the blocking process.

Now that I've tried KazaaTap, I'll describe the differences: [list=1][*]This program isn't a hack or patch, therefore you might consider it to be the "ethical" alternative to KazaaLite. This program doesn't modify the way Kazaa functions at all. All it does as far as the ui & searches are concerned, is it modifies the registry keys from their default eg. the limit bitrate, search result limit & show bonzi icon. The interface and functions will appear identical to that of KLite.[*]This program can be used for regular Kazaa or KazaaLite. Like these patches, it improves Kazaa & hinders all spyware activity. However, it doesn't remove the spyware if present, it just prevents them from 'dialing-home.' It works as a local proxy server or application-level firewall (like ZoneAlarm), blocking the website using its rules and the hosts file & blocking all Kazaa-associated spyware activity using this proxy to channel all Kazaa.exe traffic. However the advantage is it doesn't affect your ability to connect like ZA or any other proxy or firewall.[*]This can be easily bypassed (not recommended) by just closing the program in the system tray. Even though I use the supertrick & KLite, I intend using this program as an extra line of defense. I don't personally know whether it blocks altnet, but it seems as though it blocks everything not involved with basic searches & transfers.[/list=1]
Even though I'm already behind a firewall, I'll make use of this as it doesn't affect my ability to transfer files at all. A little paranoia is healthy! The Grokhak I mentioned earlier modified the .exe to look in the root of c:\ for the Grokster homepage, where 2 dummy .html files were located. Using KTap, you'll just see an error message instead of a blank page.

I'd like to mention a program which works in a similar fashion to KTap, but has been around longer. The Proxomitron is a web filter that blocks banners, pop-ups, cookies, javascript, tables, frames, midis etc. You can use it to block entire sites, counters, geocities/angelfire scripts and even change backgrounds/text amongst many other features (disguising your browser)! It's very customisable, you can enable only 1 filter if you want or write your own. The help files are really well-written. It allows for multi-chained proxies and works on all browsers. I highly recommend this!
SA_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote