P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 08-07-02, 09:43 PM   #1
JackSpratts

Default Perspective: How To Curb Digatal Piracy

By Jonathan Greenblatt

During a business trip to southern China several years ago, I was surprised at the number of pirated movies littering the stalls of street vendors. After a series of conversations with friends in the entertainment industry, I am reminded of that scene. My peers describe the Internet not as a happy global village but as a borderless black market where stolen content flourishes and pirates lurk around every corner.

In a post-Napster world, it's no surprise that media companies feel such anxieties. The brief reappearance earlier this month of Film88.com, the pirate film site, upped the ante. These companies see a future in which rogue players will set up shop in far-off locales, steal their intellectual property and erode their industry.

Such hysteria has fed a flurry of activity in Washington, particularly the Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act (CBDTPA) currently circulating on Capitol Hill. Consumer advocates have blasted CBDTPA as a heavy-handed move by the Hollywood lobby to stifle online expression.

Cyberactivist Gordon Mohr satirized such legislative efforts when he recently wrote that perhaps the time has come to fit all consumers with a "digital helmet."...
http://news.com.com/2010-1078-941412.html?tag=rc_spec

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-02, 01:20 AM   #2
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Headless Chickens again!

Thanks Js,

An interesting link ineed. I always find I spend more time following these interesting items, than I do on NU, once diverted off, I sometimes forget to return?

One things is for sure, the movie industry is following closely on the heels of the music industry, on the slippery "headless Chicken" path..

Will they EVER wake up? Or has the inevitable dementia now been so set in that, that both industries will cease to exist as we know them it 5 years?

Snark..
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-02, 09:19 AM   #3
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

If five years they'll still be here, making noise and calling it art, calling their customers criminals, and then they'll start reminicing about the good old days when people just bought the CD's and the tapes and didn't complain. They'll be a bunch of senile old farts, stubborn but unable to get anyone to listen to them 'cause they piss their diapers every time a new Napster pops up.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote