P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 17-02-06, 12:19 AM   #1
wisteria

Eek! Japanese font on WinMX search?

When I was in Japan I could read and type Japanese font on WinMX (well of course I was using Japanese computer).

But now I'm back home but I still want to keep up-to-date with my Japanese music... but I can't type the font, well I can but it comes up as question marks when I convert it to characters. Even if I put in a name of an artist it will not show results so the ??????s mean nothing to it, I guess?

Also in the results window it is displayed as mixed up fonts.

Is there any way to view and type Japanese on WinMX?

Also, a lot of times songs from Japanese users will not download.. does anyone have info on the Japanese winmx scene? I heard that WinMX was a favorite with the Japanese.
Old 17-02-06, 01:02 AM   #2
napho
Dawn's private genie

I remember a Japanese word processor that people used for WinMX years ago.

http://www.animefantasia.com/modules...&mode=t hread
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-06, 01:27 AM   #3
JackSpratts

hi wisteria and welcome to the forum. i can't help you with the fonts but i can perhaps clear one thing up. english speakers do refer to winmx by several nics, one of them being winny and that leads to confusion because while the japanese do like winmx, the huge p2p app over there is called winny, but it's based on an entirely different engine called freenet. further puzzlement results from the origin of the name winny, which is based on the win from winmx.

confused? there's more.

this app has gotten it's developers in plenty of hot water with the japanese authorities over the years on a level probably second only to kazaa in austrailia. lots of lawsuits, arrests etc. development stopped when the lead programmer was jailed, but another app based on winny called share has taken up where winny left off and is now strong in asia. winny continues to be popular in japan, although to add to the confusion winmx became almost as popular after the winny arrests, but that was before the winmx servers were closed by the american developers last summer.

wow.

bottom line? give share a try. it's big in asia and development continues.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-06, 07:15 AM   #4
Quartz

Hi folks just noticed this thread so I joined the Forum.

If you wish to view Japanese symbols inside of winmx just follow these instructions here.

http://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/..._language.html

For actually making the Japanese text to paste into winmx you will need a Japanese text editing program like NJstar, and copy the text after ensuring the "shift-JS" encoding option is selected, into winmx its not something simple for users to do in many cases so most are happy with just being able to read the text.

I hope that helps anyone else who has had the same problem.
Quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-06, 03:29 AM   #5
malvachat
My eyes are now open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz
Hi folks just noticed this thread so I joined the Forum.

If you wish to view Japanese symbols inside of winmx just follow these instructions here.

http://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/..._language.html

For actually making the Japanese text to paste into winmx you will need a Japanese text editing program like NJstar, and copy the text after ensuring the "shift-JS" encoding option is selected, into winmx its not something simple for users to do in many cases so most are happy with just being able to read the text.

I hope that helps anyone else who has had the same problem.
What a nice helpful chapie.
Welcome.