P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 07-07-02, 06:42 AM   #1
Bright Eyes
Global Security Octopus

Default how about some how to's for winmx?

I'm the first to admit I don't know all there is to know about winmx. How do I know this, I hear you ask, in your relentless quest for knowledge. I will prove it:

I admit I don't know all there is to know about winmx.

There: and I said it before you, so I am first.

Can someone tell me about the 'tricks of the trade' for winmx? I see people doing things on winmx, and I don't understand how they can.

For example, some people have the instant messages set up like answering machines, so that if you message them, an automatic reply comes back, saying they are away. Another example: certain people ALWAYS have 30 people queued up, 24 hours 7 days a week, even though they have maybe 200 songs - how likely is this to be a genuine queue? A third example: seeing a 'connection refused' come back to me the micro-second my song-download is received by the other side - this must be set up to refuse automatically [why list songs for share and then refuse? Beats me.]

These are tricks that I've not seen listed in the Settings section. There may be other tricks I've not encountered as well. Some people are clearly able to customise winmx much more than I can. So does someone know how to do things on winmx that are not in the settings wizard? Also, how do you get win mx to look in different servers for songs?

This is the Century of the Insane.

Last edited by Bright Eyes : 07-07-02 at 07:56 AM.
Bright Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-02, 06:46 AM   #2
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

Smile

I don't really care for Winmx myself, so I can't help you Dal. I just wanted to say Hi
Old 07-07-02, 07:16 AM   #3
goldie
yea, it's me.

Default Re: how about some how to's for winmx?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bright Eyes
I'm the first to admit I don't know all there is to know about winmx. How do I know this, I hear you ask, in your relentless quest for knowledge. I will prove it:

I admit I don't know all there is to know about winmx.

There: and I said it before you, so I am first.

Can someone tell me about the 'tricks of the trade' for winmx? I see people doing things on winmx, and I don't understand how they can.

For example, some people have the instant messages set up like answering machines, so that if you message them, an automatic reply comes back, saying they are away.
I can help with that one it's a hotlist option.

In 3.22 just click on your Hotlist, move your cursor to Auto Responder>Add> then just type in a message of your choosing then >close>.

To activate your auto-message, just click on your hotlist, scroll down to highlight the message you want to use and click on it.

You can make up several messages to suit your needs!

Now, whenever someone "pings" you and you're busy or not around to respond, your auto-message will respond for you.

Hope that helps?

goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-02, 08:16 AM   #4
Bright Eyes
Global Security Octopus

yes, very helpful on that score. thanks very much goldenrod.

hi dawn!

Old 07-07-02, 08:35 AM   #5
gazdet
.- -.. -- .. -.

Dal,

It's good to see you and anyone else ask questions or propose their thoughts here in P2P, in the medium of information exchange and file sharing most members were once in the same boat, so within this forum it is not a race or requirement to be "all knowing", we encourage a more educational P2P environment and there are certainly enough competent members here to help you .

Any questions and comments from members that are posted in the Peer to Peer forum serve to help a multitude of other members and guests equally, therefore questions that to some which may seem simple to the informed, are a source of valuable information to others.

Helping to share the P2P experience in any form by asking questions is always a good thing.

-gaz

p.s Thanks for your response in this thread GR
gazdet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-02, 09:26 AM   #6
nanook
just one of the gang...

good questions, BR!
i have wondered the same about the "instant messaging".
question answered.

Quote:
For example, some people have the instant messages set up like answering machines, so that if you message them, an automatic reply comes back, saying they are away.

Another example: certain people ALWAYS have 30 people queued up, 24 hours 7 days a week, even though they have maybe 200 songs - how likely is this to be a genuine queue?

A third example: seeing a 'connection refused' come back to me the micro-second my song-download is received by the other side - this must be set up to refuse automatically [why list songs for share and then refuse? Beats me.
i am also curious about your other 2 questions as well.
and what gets me, on the same note, is why this queue of 10031???
it gives me no accurate sense of how many are in queue or how long it will be.
of course i clear them right away, but the opennap server users are mainly the ones with queue numbers like that.

and also, are only certain servers using the "busy" message?
it will look as if the download is going to connect, but then it goes to "busy". it won't even allow u to queue........

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-02, 04:26 PM   #7
napho
Dawn's private genie

Quote:
Originally posted by nanook
good questions, BR!
i have wondered the same about the "instant messaging".
question answered.

i am also curious about your other 2 questions as well.
and what gets me, on the same note, is why this queue of 10031???
it gives me no accurate sense of how many are in queue or how long it will be.
of course i clear them right away, but the opennap server users are mainly the ones with queue numbers like that.

and also, are only certain servers using the "busy" message?
it will look as if the download is going to connect, but then it goes to "busy". it won't even allow u to queue........

That high queue # might be a case of someone running V2.6 attempting to connect to a V3.2. That's what happens when you don't embrace progress.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-02, 07:10 PM   #8
ssj4_android
Redefining Reality

Do you mean it always stays at 30? High queue numbers are normal for even someone sharing 200 files if they have really popular files.
ssj4_android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-02, 02:03 AM   #9
pod
Bumbling idiot

Nanook, the busy message that always comes up is not WinMX's fault. Well, I don't think it is. It always comes up when using OpenNAP servers, never on the WPNP network. It's well known OpenNap servers often don't like Winmx users (for unfounded reasons may I add). On the WPNP network you either don't have to enter que (it's done automatically), or you just do it once.

The autoresponder question has been answered I see. The only problem with it is when you have it set up to screen annoying calls (so to speak), and have a conversation going, the autoresponder will always kick in on every message to/from the person you're talking to. I keep seeing this 'chat' feature that I never seem to get around to using which is supposed to get around this problem.

I don't know anything about weird que numbers, never seen them. Some kind of a firewall issue?

Don't know what causes transfers to disconnect right away. I've seen it happen, but there are usually enough sources around to not have to worry about it. Now, I do see a number of people cancelling their downloads from me, and I know I'm not doing it.... soo....

As for actual tricks of the trade? Learn what the colours mean (there are only 3 or 4 important ones on the search/browse/download pages). Use 'retry/find sources' on slow downloads every so often to find more sources. The good thing is that chances are any new sources will start transferring right away, seeing as they're new and their queue might not be filled up yet.

Don't worry about 'hung' downloads, where you're downloading from lots of sources, and all of a sudden the transfer seems to stop dead, usually towards the end of the file. This will fix itself after a minute or two.

Also, if all the sources give you a 'file mismatch' error, and you just can't finish the file, you'll just have to retry the file again from start, and make sure the last 10% (on, say, a regular sized mp3 file) comes from only 1 source. Seems that in Winmx, unlike others (edonkey notably) the files do not have to be exactly the same, so sometimes the sources get into a conflict. Call it a 'corrupt chunk', in edonkey lingo.

Happy downloading.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-02, 04:02 PM   #10
Bright Eyes
Global Security Octopus

Thank you all for taking the time to respond and to help. And especial thanks to Napho for helping me via the PM.