P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 05-07-02, 06:49 PM   #1
petriburg

Default Is this a bug in WinMX?

I've spent a very frustrating evening with v3.22 of MX. The program loads ok, and most facets of its operation are good, but it has a sort of delayed action response to all keyboard and mouse inputs. For instance, when typing an artist's name or song title, the characters do not appear (more or less) instantaneously as you type, but pop up seconds later, when you've moved on to the next info box. The same type of delayed response exists with all the function selector buttons (click on the button, and it's a couple of seconds or so before the action takes place). I've done most of the troubleshooting things, like uninstalling MX and re-installing, uninstalling all other p2p applications, then loading only MX, but nothing makes any difference. So, my conclusion is that the fault may be in MX.
Anybody got any ideas/suggestions?

"You are old, father William," the young man said,
"And you hair has become very white;
And yet you incessantly stand on you head -
Do you think, at your age, it is right?"
Lewis Carroll.
petriburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-02, 08:44 PM   #2
ssj4_android
Redefining Reality

No such problem here. What are your system specs? If your connecting via a PC, try a SC.
ssj4_android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-02, 11:49 PM   #3
petriburg

Thanks for your reply. I'm running Win98se, 800MHz processor, 384MB RAM, KaZaa Lite is the only other p2p app installed, apart from NapMX, which latter seems not to be the culprit (I've tried MX with and without NapMX, to verify this).
I have been able to effect a slight improvement since first posting on this subject by uninstalling MX, downloading the prog again from a different mirror, and re-installing. The 'delayed action' effect is still there, but not so bad as it was with the previous setup. (Oh, and btw, the connection is cable, not that I suspect that of having any bearing on the prob.).
Left unsaid in all of the above, of course, is that all other applications respond virtually instantaneously to keyboard or mouse inputs.
All other PC 'housekeeping' items, such as defrag. etc., were performed just a few hours ago.
I'm sure somebody will light upon something which I have done in error - if I were a lawyer, my name would be Murphy!!!

Lewis Carroll.
Old 06-07-02, 03:31 AM   #4
napho
Dawn's private genie

The problem you described sounded like insufficient processor and RAM but your specs say otherwise. Maybe you have too many other things running in the background since WinMX is hard on resources. Try alt/ctrl/del and see what's on.
That's all I can think of.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-02, 09:14 AM   #5
JackSpratts

it looks like typical explorer sticking - it's independent of ram/speed - but that would affect everything (i know it well, it happened to me again yesterday as a matter of fact). in any event, rebooting fixes it.

you might want to get a cpu monitor if you don't already have one (i use atm) and take a look at the resources winmx (or something else?) is using. might give you some ideas.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-02, 12:27 PM   #6
db_

If you're using ZoneAlarm try disabling it, WinMX runs into problems with the 'true vector' summitorother service for a number of people.
db_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-02, 02:47 PM   #7
JackSpratts

hi db_ and welcome to nu! we can always use another winmx disciple around here. enjoy the board.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-02, 04:30 PM   #8
db_

Thanks JS, I've been lurking a while, just getting a feel for the place.
db_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-02, 04:50 PM   #9
goldie
yea, it's me.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by db_
Thanks JS, I've been lurking a while, just getting a feel for the place.
We're just one big happy family db!

Welcome to the family!

Enjoy yourself

goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-02, 11:23 PM   #10
petriburg

Napho, J.S., and db, thanks for your advice. It seems I've got the problem licked, with WinMx working well. (Yes, one has to have patience to cope with the queues, but the downloads are waaaay faster than KazaLite, or others of it's ilk).
The re-downloading of the .exe file helped, as I mentioned previously. then this morning I followed J.S.'s advice and got me a little (freebie) monitoring prog. which DietKazaa promptly threw into fits - memory usage went briefly off the scale! Next I disabled KaZaa, disabled ZoneAlarm, and WinMx worked perfectly from then on - memory usage down to 42%, and cpu similar.
And yes, db, welcome aboard - I'm sure you'll be happy amongst this band of most congenial people.

Lewis Carroll.
Old 07-07-02, 12:28 AM   #11
SA_Dave
Guardian of the Maturation Chamber

petriburg, as to your KL problem :

http://server1.kazaalite.com/modules...hread&tid=1155 OR
http://server2.kazaalite.com/modules...hread&tid=1155

I hope this gives you some ideas.
SA_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-02, 06:35 AM   #12
napho
Dawn's private genie

You can always reinstall WinMX 2.6 btw...in a different folder and compare them.

http://www.pctip.ch/library/downloads/dl.asp?id=1880
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-02, 02:10 AM   #13
pod
Bumbling idiot

The slugishness has to do with insufficient cpu resources. I see from your other post that you're also running kazaa, which works on the same principle as Winmx. Your machine will have about half the speed from each program's perspective. In your winmx network settings lower the network bandwidth allowed or the search priority, this will cause fewer searches to be directed at your machine; it may also lower YOUR search results. In winmx it seems the bigger machine and internet pipe you have, the better. Which makes sense, and at least you're not penalized for it

I've never quite figured out what 'duty cycle' is, being a non-native english speaker I've never run across this before. 50% is obvious, but what does 80% duty cycle mean? 80 off or 20 off? Anyone?
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-02, 05:32 PM   #14
petriburg

Many thank yous for all who posted on this subject. The one thing which made all the difference was to disable ZoneAlarm.
Once I did this, WinMX ran without hitch. Pity no one has found a workaround for the queueing problems - they'e gross! Thanks again, all, for your time and trouble.

Lewis Carroll.