P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > The Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Music Rhythm of the Underground.

Old 12-02-02, 11:55 AM   #1
MikeHunt
Unknown Legend

Tongue 2 Some different music for you to try...

Some artists / music.... that maybe you haven't heard of before...but are worth a listen:

1) Nitin Sawhney....recommended songs: Acquired Dreams ...Letting Go....Beyond Skin

2) Shemekia Copeland...recommended songs : Beatup Guitar...Wild Wild Woman ...The Other Woman

3)Skunk Anansie...recommended songs...Lately....Secretly

4)Talvin Singh....recommended songs....Butterfly...Traveller

5) Virginia Rodrigues ....recommended songs...Noite de Temporal....Uma Historia de Ifa

6)Ozomatli....recommended songs ...O Le Le....Cumbia de los Muertos...

Ok..its a mixed bag..but all are bong tested & approved....enjoy

Last edited by MikeHunt : 28-02-02 at 11:52 PM.
MikeHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-02, 12:19 PM   #2
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Thanks for the tips MikeHunt and welcome to Napsterites!

All those names were new to me except Talvin Singh whose music I have heard and liked it...

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-02, 02:15 PM   #3
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Default Re: Some different music you to try

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeHunt
Ok..its a mixed bag..but all are bong tested & approved....enjoy
It's good to see MikeHunt here in the Underground.

I was wondering when you would come over from the other site over there, and I know you can provide just as much insight and assistence here as I have seen from you there.

Welcome to our little haven in the Battle for the Freedom of Music!
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-02, 03:50 PM   #4
MikeHunt
Unknown Legend

Brows

Thanks guys for the WARM welcome!!...

...also I misspelled a name above...its>> Shemekia Copeland <<<...but please do check her out. She is 22 years old and sings like a blend of Janis Joplin/Aretha Franklin & Tina Turner combined..... I saw her assault the audience with her voice- and she was a foot off the microphone. If you like modern up tempo Blues - from a real singer... then check her out...

Last edited by MikeHunt : 13-02-02 at 12:42 AM.
MikeHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-02, 06:46 PM   #5
JackSpratts

hey you made it mike, great don't forget to check out the underground.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-02, 11:51 PM   #6
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

I love threads like this
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-02, 12:59 AM   #7
MikeHunt
Unknown Legend

Yummy!

Thanks..you guys are great...if you have to choose one song from the list (above)... to see where my politics are ...it has to be this one...>>>Nitin Sawhney ... Acquired Dreams <<< ...if you choose to d/l this tune... you will be swept into a vibe....truth....then go from there,,,tbc
Old 13-02-02, 11:09 AM   #8
Haole
Pronunciation: 'hau-lE

How about Jim White, Joe Henry, Amon Tobin, Kelly Joe Phelps?Searching for Jim White and Joe Henry sometimes yields bizarre results, but if you look for Wrong-Eyed Jesus for Jim and Fuse for Joe, you can't go wrong. Also, Squarepusher is amazing.
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-02, 12:45 PM   #9
BuzzB2K

Quote:
Thanks..you guys are great...if you have to choose one song from the list (above)... to see where my politics are ...it has to be this one...>>>Nitin Sawhney ... Acquired Dreams <<< ...if you choose to d/l this tune... you will be swept into a vibe....truth....then go from there,,,tbc
Nitin Sawhney - Acquired Dreams

I have acquired this dream, I love her after listening to this one track. In the process of acquiring more...

I notice a wide range across the spectrum of music in you recomendations... I d/l Shemekia Copeland last night and wonder if maybe I should have gone for Nitin instead...

It's all good so far...
Old 13-02-02, 09:16 PM   #10
MikeHunt
Unknown Legend

Crazy

Thanks for the imput Buzz....its all good...Nitin is actually a guy ( Indian by way of England). He has a variety of vocalists and performers backing him .... his album Prophesy kicks ass, for the most part.( Beyond Skin album is good also,,,but a little uneven for my tastes)....songs... Moonrise , Immigrant & Sunset are some other tunes to look for....

Shemekia is blues( for sure) and is a up and coming raw talent.

Im glad you are open minded about music..and I dare say either are better than anything that's being played on the radio these days. What a shame!
Old 13-02-02, 10:14 PM   #11
MikeHunt
Unknown Legend

Loving Eyes

..another wonderful group ...Moloko ...recommended songs: Sing it Back ...The Time is Now

Which brings up a trivia question...Q: Where did Moloko get their name from??????? Hmmmmmm.... ( don' t cheat ..don't look)

give up...?

....ok ..A: It was the name of the 'Milk Bar' in the movie:Clockwork Orange ...ha...but you guys all knew that - right? ...how cool is that...
Old 13-02-02, 10:46 PM   #12
JackSpratts

hey there mdneer, glad to see you! welcome to nu

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-02, 11:02 PM   #13
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by mdneer
How about Jim White, Joe Henry, Amon Tobin, Kelly Joe Phelps?Searching for Jim White and Joe Henry sometimes yields bizarre results, but if you look for Wrong-Eyed Jesus for Jim and Fuse for Joe, you can't go wrong. Also, Squarepusher is amazing.
Thanks for the tips, mdneer and warmly welcome to the board!

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-02, 04:40 AM   #14
BuzzB2K

Quote:
Thanks for the imput Buzz....its all good...Nitin is actually a guy ( Indian by way of England). He has a variety of vocalists and performers backing him .... his album Prophesy kicks ass, for the most part.( Beyond Skin album is good also,,,but a little uneven for my tastes)....songs... Moonrise , Immigrant & Sunset are some other tunes to look for....

Shemekia is blues( for sure) and is a up and coming raw talent.

Im glad you are open minded about music..and I dare say either are better than anything that's being played on the radio these days. What a shame!
Who is that vocalist on Acquired Dreams - I love the sound of the whole song but that voice - Makes the song
Old 14-02-02, 04:55 PM   #15
MikeHunt
Unknown Legend

Crazy

Buzz...I wish i knew..I actually wanted to buy the Cd: Prophesy ......but Wherehouse didn't have it and didn't show it in their computer for order.......I think it's an import at this point.

(.. they wont sell it to me, yet become pissed if I download it off the internet...hmmm)

Maybe I will Google for a minute , and find out.... Have you d/led any other tracks?? How do you describe the sound??..Try it on headphones after a puff..it tears you up....also try the Virginia Rodrigues I suggested too...it's in the same genre.
Old 14-02-02, 07:01 PM   #16
Haole

Thumbs up

The vocalist on Acquired Dreams is Natacha Atlas. She's a Moroccan singer who also shared the bill Page and Plant.
Old 14-02-02, 09:45 PM   #17
MikeHunt
Unknown Legend

Wink

sorry my friend,..... but according to Outcaste Records(his label)the vocalist on Acquired Dreams is: Eska....although Natacha Atlas , Tina Grace, & Denise Anyogu , have also done vocals on various Nitin Sawhney albums. In fact lots of folks ( I didn't know about) have played on his albums..... Still anyway you cut it ...it's some fine sh*t....Indian trip hop trance meditation pop eclectic music ..whatever you call it.
Old 14-02-02, 10:23 PM   #18
Haole

I don't mean to split hairs, MikeHunt (I just love typing that name), 'cause like you said, it is some great sh*t, but it definitely is Natacha on that tune. Eska Mtungwazi, while an excellent singer, is from Zimbabwe and has a totally different sound. AG has a ton of Natacha's music--check some of it out, not too shabby. Have you heard Oumou Sangare? Great diva from Mali, and a lot of the stuff that comes out of Mali is superb, although more traditional sounding. www.v2records.co.jp has track personnel listings for Prophesy.
Old 14-02-02, 10:48 PM   #19
MikeHunt
Unknown Legend

snore

Forgive me ..my error..... But I'm happy to be wrong. ....Natacha is a wonderful artist in her own right..... Eska HAS by the way recorded an album with Nitin Sawhney called (cleverly)... Nitin Sawhney featuring Eska - Sunset.... Lots of good music out there if you know where to look. Mali has some great musicians. I recently saw Taj Mahal backed by a group of Mali musicians playing traditional instruments...it was a cool blend.

Its nice to see Napsterites out there that are aware and passionate about the Music thats not getting the exposure it should.
Old 14-02-02, 10:53 PM   #20
Haole

You saw Taj with Diabate? Holy sh*t. Ol' Georgie Buck is one of my favorite recorded moments in years.

Yeah, I'm very passionate about music, always have been, always will be. To be able to have such easy access to all this stuff now is DANGEROUS-- well, at least according to my wife.