P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > The Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Music Rhythm of the Underground.

Old 29-01-02, 02:33 AM   #1
Shani
Spagal

Arrow Pink floyd question....

on the wish you were here album... whats the dialogue in the intro to the song wish you were here? british man and woman discussing something.....
Shani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-02, 06:33 PM   #2
shoes58
Professional Curmudgeon

Question

I have been trying to figure this one out for years. All I can get is the man saying "Yes...yes, I'm sure of it." It seems to be a snippet of an old British radio drama...
Romana may know; she seems to be a veritable cornucopia of music knowledge.
Old 29-01-02, 10:42 PM   #3
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

Actually, I haven't a clue, and I've even surfed around a bit and can't find any references. (I did find this semi-psychotic site which claims, in the tradition of syncing Dark Side of the Moon with The Wizard of Oz, that a number of other Floyd albums lend themselves to syncing with other movies, including Wish You Were Here with It's A Wonderful Life.)

I also noted that this same tape of dialogue is used at the beginning of a live version of Wish You Were Here that I picked up on Napster, (origin unknown) and parts of it are just slightly more discernable, but not enough to tell what the hell it is.

Ramona_A_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-02, 11:05 PM   #4
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Radiohead does a more than respectable cover of Wish You Were Here...well worth downloading
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-02, 11:10 PM   #5
Maze
Rebel With A Cause

Yes! I found the syncronization of Dark Side of the Moon with The Wizard of Oz on Morpheus not too long ago. I was 56K at the time too! It was worth it...!

Myself and a pal tried setting it up ourselves one time, but we just didn't have it syncronized correctly. I found it under this name> Pink_Floyd_Sychronised_Wizard_of_Oz_.mpg ...but you probably need only type in Oz.

Whoever made this did it absolutely right. It's one of the most mystical experiences. Especially the tornado sequence of course. Like trippin' without taking drugs...lol ...however, I wouldn't argue with a little marijuana right beforehand. Oz is my fav movie & I'm glad I found that... real fun.

I don't know the words referred to in Shani's post... but you've certainly got this going through my head now>

Male: He certainly was lookin' for a fight. (or something like that)

Female: ...yeah... he was just crusin' for a brusin'
Maze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-02, 11:14 PM   #6
gazdet
.- -.. -- .. -.

Quote:
Originally posted by Shani
on the wish you were here album... whats the dialogue in the intro to the song wish you were here? british man and woman discussing something.....

(dontchya just love slowing down record players.. )

intro to "Wish you were here"...

..the radio is tuned thru some stations and settles on a half finished convo...

Quote:
Man: ...and discipline remains... mercifully.

Woman: yes..n'd um, where was it you(<-very fast)...inherit(ed) this "star-ness"? (in thick French(?) accent)

Man: ...yes, ..yes..

Woman: ...no, which is it?

Man: ....I'm sure of it.
Who said Pink Floyd had to make sense eh? ..but that's the convo.
gazdet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-02, 11:28 PM   #7
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

Hooray for primitive technology.

I am not frightened of dying, any time will do. I don't mind. Why should I be frightened of dying? There's no reason for it. You've got to go sometime.

WAHOOOOOOAYYYAOOOOOOOOOO AAAAOAOAOAO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-WAAAHHH WAHWAHWAHWAHWAHYEEEEEEEEAAHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAOOooooooHh hhhhhhhhOH WOOOOWHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOO

oooooooo-oooo-ooo-o-o-o-o-oooo
oh-oh-oh-oh-ohwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh
aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
huhuhuhuhuhuhwahahahwahwahaayayayayayayaya

aaaaaahhhuhhhhhhhhhuhuhahahayahayhayha

OOOOO WHOOOOOAAAA

ooooh oh oh

Old 29-01-02, 11:34 PM   #8
gazdet
.- -.. -- .. -.

.good to see that ether is still workin' dude
Old 30-01-02, 01:56 AM   #9
Shani
Spagal

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by gazdet

------

Woman: yes..n'd um, where was it you(<-very fast)...inherit(ed) this "star-ness"? (in thick French(?) accent)

--------

Who said Pink Floyd had to make sense eh? ..but that's the convo.

interesting... are you sure? I thought she was english... heres what I get...

-------

Woman: ...yes..n'd um, now(not) with you derek, this star-nonsense?

Man (derek?): ....yes, mmm

Woman: ....what/(which) is it?

Man: ...Im sure of it.

-----

hehe. i wonder what its all about.

Quote:
Originally posted by shoes58
Romana may know; she seems to be a veritable cornucopia of music knowledge.

...i thought ramona was a he...
Old 30-01-02, 02:16 AM   #10
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

Quote:
...i thought ramona was a he...

...hmm... ...so did I.

::checks::

Old 30-01-02, 02:21 AM   #11
gazdet
.- -.. -- .. -.

Quote:
interesting... are you sure? I thought she was english... heres what I get...

Woman: yes..n'd um, now with you derek, this star-nonsense?

hehe. i wonder what its all about.
dammit..u got me playing that peice like 100 times now..lol

review....

Quote:
Man: ...Yes..and discipline r- remains... mercifully.

Woman: mmmn'yes, and then, ...now with you ....Derick...this star nonsense? (You're right..I sped it up to normal again and it's clearer when u put it all together....but it's def a Indian Womans voice.

as for what it means....it was probably meant to drive people nutz working it out some 27 years after it was recorded.
Old 30-01-02, 02:34 AM   #12
Shani
Spagal

Quote:
Originally posted by gazdet

as for what it means....it was probably meant to drive people nutz working it out some 27 years after it was recorded.

arent there music history professionals working around the clock figuring this stuff out?

...and whose derek? ..
Old 30-01-02, 02:58 AM   #13
gazdet
.- -.. -- .. -.

Quote:
...and whose derek? ..
Well as the woman speaks in a thick Indian accent..perhaps it's actually "Eric" she is saying....which could make sense as Roger Water's father's name was Eric Fletcher Waters and he was a basis, (along with his Mum and upbringing/school etc) that featured in his stories thru most of the albums.

When spoken with a strong Indian accent.. Eric could have well been pronounced "D'erick" by that woman. (try it by talking Indian )

It would also make sense that he overheard his parents talking about him (it featured in The Wall film) and put things relevant to him in between songs on his albums.. he was right into concepts and stories.
Old 30-01-02, 05:52 PM   #14
shoes58
Professional Curmudgeon

Embarrassed Aaak!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramona_A_Stone

...hmm... ...so did I.

::checks::

Sorry...Kinda new around here...
Please don't tell me Dawn is ALSO a....
Oh, nevermind...damn internet...
Old 11-03-02, 04:11 AM   #15
floydian slip
===\/------/\===

I was looking for over an hour for this because I wanted to know too! so, I found this interview w/ David Gilmour, CK is the interviewer.

Quote:
CK: In 1975, Pink Floyd signed with Columbia records in America, and released _Wish You Were Here_. Expanding on three themes explored in _Dark Side of the Moon_, lonliness, alienation, and madness, _Wish You Were Here_ was unofficially dedicated to Syd Barrett. To get a better idea how a Pink Floyd album evolves from mere thought to finished product, we asked David Gilmour how they create that special atmosphere that is part of every Pink Floyd record.

DG: We just have a sound in mind, we want to create something, and we try to create it. It's very simple, it's quite easy to make an audio illusion, you know, to create one, like you know, a door opening and people being behind that door. It's a very easy thing to do. You just have a sound of this thing, the buzzing "mmmmmmmmmmm" of the door opening well you've got to get some sort of humming noise and then you just fade up a fader with talking and laughing and clinking of glasses noises. And as you get "mmmm" you just push up this fader at the same time and it sounds just like the door's opening and you can suddenly hear all these people on the other side of it.

(Have a Cigar plays)

DG: We actually recorded a car radio, with a microphone out there, and, um, just spun through a few stations, and, um, got all these sounds and then we went and made the sound of our track match up with those. We sort of made horrible EQ things on the desk to try and make it sound as nasty as what was coming off the radio. So the next turn went straight to our own artificial one that we'd just created. It's dirt easy, I mean that stuff is *not* difficult, you've only got to have a little bit of imagination and want to do it and then you work out how to do it.

(Wish You Were Here plays)
To tell you the truth, I dont think one can ever know if Rog and Dave were just screwing around with radio stations. But if its in a book my freind can tell us. Some head probably documented it somewhere.
floydian slip is offline   Reply With Quote