Whut? No. 12 60.00%
No Shit. 8 40.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31-07-02, 07:40 AM   #1
naz
-

muhaaaa Rock is dead

well?
I’ve been a little down because today my doctor diagnosed me with John Travolta Syndrome. It’s a condition where your face or head grows laterally, getting wider year by year. It’s not so much of a problem and it’s nothing to be ashamed of, it’s just a condition. In fact mine is good because it means my brain is getting bigger too. But not that Travolta guy, his head is mostly fat. The doctors said I am much smarter than John Travolta and I believe them.
naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-02, 07:48 AM   #2
assorted
WAH!

LuvKiss

this poll is prejudiced against rock so i ain't voting on it you dancey-dance freak.
Old 31-07-02, 07:58 AM   #3
naz
-

prejudiced my ass...
I love rock music, but what has their been really since the mid-90s?
coldplay? stereophonics? limp bizkit?
its all looking a little tired ...
I’ve been a little down because today my doctor diagnosed me with John Travolta Syndrome. It’s a condition where your face or head grows laterally, getting wider year by year. It’s not so much of a problem and it’s nothing to be ashamed of, it’s just a condition. In fact mine is good because it means my brain is getting bigger too. But not that Travolta guy, his head is mostly fat. The doctors said I am much smarter than John Travolta and I believe them.
Old 31-07-02, 08:48 AM   #4
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Peace i dont really expect any body to understand this but....

pop* goes rock
*pop goes punk
bang bang bang
doof doof
bampf

its a plan by the man to can the spam
and make it nice for the ppl wham bam bam
ozzys a soap star the lead breaks are weak
its all about speed and little techniqiue
its bland and its classy dancing girls and freaks
punks muthas thugs dance yo its the way tospeak.
get down in da house every fucken week
rippin up the floor boards tha bass box
shaking ya mommas TV with elvis in las vegas
it shakes the neighbors with their flavors
and their jimmy dean persuaders
into corporate playthings
bikini girls and video makers
yo thay ride the dead rock
yo rock the punk is in for a shock
its a shlock ,a crock
new gear for flock
its pox it rocks
its got really smelly socks
but is rock dead or just something else

forgive me i was bored.....

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-02, 11:27 AM   #5
JackUzi
Power and Glory

There's too many rock fans out there to let it die but yeah, rock music lately has been dull. Although maybe this is just culture in general, there hasn't really being anything incredible lately even in the world of cinema. Simon Reynolds here gives his own view on the stagnation of rock...(well British indie music to be particular)

"Since major labels alone have the clout to make bands big, the result is a massive withdrawal of energy and interest from the independeant sector. Look at the indie charts now, and you'll find a motley coalition of drum n' bass and techno records, death metal and other micro-genre niche markets and pop stars who happen to go through independent music culture that in 1988 could sustain an AR Kane album at number on for 4 weeks doesn't exist anymore.

By now though, there should have been the backlash, seeds of regeneration buliding if not blooming, Britpop's bubble burst quite a while back and the gold rush A&R blunders have issued their dismal debuts and in many cases already have been downsized from the rosters. Why?

Dane culture done it. Dance culture was the worst thing to happen to British rock. Not just cos its unparalleled enticements permanently hijacked the greater portion of rocks potential audience (even in its lamest, most edge less form-trance and hard house-clubbing beats gigging by a considerable margin). But because the electronic arena has sucked up a good 90 per cent of the musical intellect available. Britrocks ails because this countrys sharpest musical minds are dedicated to making instrumental, non-band music. why should the Eno-type inspired non-musicians bother with all the friction and hassle of bring in a band when they can implement their ideas quickly via compliant, near-infinitely flexible machines? Dance culture and its home listening orientated adjuncts even hold out the possibility of making a few bob.

As a result, rock has been left to people with the worst motivations: fame, exhibitionism, the desire to make music like they did in the old days (the 60's, punk/New Wave). Or its left to people with something to "say": the quote machines, the would-be poets. "All mouth, no trousers" has been Brit rock's cardinal liability siince the post-punk era, when attitude, self-salesmanship and music paper-friendly gift of the gab became more valued than instrumental skill or sonic vision."
JackUzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-02, 11:56 AM   #6
naz
-

Evil Black Grin

Rock has this to anwser for

Old 31-07-02, 12:23 PM   #7
napho
Dawn's private genie

Big Laugh Re: Rock is dead

Quote:
Originally posted by naz
well?
Rock never stood a chance against an overproduced Jim Steinman masterpiece.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-02, 01:25 PM   #8
Ðiego
Alpha Stoner

I BLAME the LABELS! They wanted 'ethnic' styled 'music' to be 'trendy' so they poured BILLIONS into it and the kids ate it up and still are though it all SUCKS!

Rock was REAL..Rockers WROTE MUSIC and PLAYED INSTRUMENTS!

They LIVED MUSIC and BREATHED MUSIC and were not MANUFACTURED!

Todays groups are not MUSICIANS! They're ACTORS!

I WANA ROCK!

Ð

p.s. [/rant]

There's only one way off so you might as well enjoy the ride..

Naphoria - P2P Portal www.naphoria.com/chat

Napsterites mIRC v2 | Napsterites Chat
Ðiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-02, 01:29 PM   #9
naz
-

what is this ethnic-styled music you speak of, O Diego?
Old 31-07-02, 01:33 PM   #10
Ðiego
Alpha Stoner

Turn on your radio ffs..watch MTV..

Rap, be-bop, hip-hop, tip-top, flip-flop...whatever its called all that POP SHIT..its..it's..IT'S CRAP!

Ð

Old 31-07-02, 01:40 PM   #11
naz
-

so diego, what's turned you on music wise over the last five years?
Old 31-07-02, 01:44 PM   #12
Ðiego
Alpha Stoner

Alas, very little..as you can see from the thread in Ug..

Ð

Old 31-07-02, 01:57 PM   #13
naz
-

Quote:
Originally posted by Ðiego
[b]My tastes; such as they are; are somewhat eclectic..take your pick..

Elvis vs JXL - A Little Less Conversation
Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight
Phil Collins - Take A Look At Me Now
Rod Stewart - You're In My Heart
Phil Collins - Against All Odds
Phil Collins - Easy Lover
Phil Collins - Mama
Ohh i read that thread and yr eclectic tastes, and , well a picture says 1,000 words

Last edited by naz : 31-07-02 at 03:17 PM.
Old 31-07-02, 02:30 PM   #14
Ðiego
Alpha Stoner

and soemtimes more than 1000..

(hehehe)

Ð

Old 31-07-02, 02:45 PM   #15
naz
-

What The?

weak
Old 31-07-02, 02:48 PM   #16
nanook
just one of the gang...

Previously posted by nanook in the "Best Classic Rock Song" thread.......eons ago.

excellent choice!
okay, so i fell in love with elton, whilst listening to Def Leppard
i actually fell in love with such greats as Led Zeppelin, Yes, Pink Floyd, etc..........much later in my high school years, for they were still the musical icons that represented not only "Cool", but they were musical geniuses.
i wrote a post in another forum, concerning whether or not "Rock is Dead?".
especially Classic Rock.
i feel these musical legends slowly slipping away to the "Classic Rock" radio stations. Maybe it is inevitable and the way it is suppose to be. i mean rock from the 50's and 60's have their own radio stations. but i find the only way to get the new and upcoming generations to find and love this classic melee of talent, is, for example, me, mom, listening to it, and then actually watch my daughter create a playlist with these very artist.
15 years old and loving "slowride" by foghat.
so of course, she had to have the "Dazed and Confused" soundtrack. i was pleasantly surprised.
nevertheless, though i am loyal to our "forefathers of rock", i await and enjoy the up and coming talent of the future.
here is a response to my post, a very articulate young lady:

ElvisManson
Board Rookie
Member # 2406
Rate Member
posted 12-18-2001 05:53 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Lamourlady!
Interesting post. I agree with you that the face of Rock has definitely changed over the past couple of decades and of course will continue to do so. So, what consititutes Rock nowadays and how does it measure up to the cultural imperialism that "classic" Rock bands of the 70s, 80's and 90's enjoyed? I hate to say the word (we are all too familiar with the constant mud slinging on this subject these days) but...dare I say Pop? Alright, so here's the argument we all know too well, Rock has become Pop. But has it? Yes, these days commercially released music undoubtedly reaps the benefits of heavier marketing and promotional dollars behind it and we have to ask how does this affect fan culture? With more money driving recordlabels than ever before, does our perception of "Rock" (or is that Pop?) music change? I think it does. The days of the "cult bands" seem to be diminishing - our ears and eyes are more and more inundated with many more acts than ever before. Instead of enjoying and remaining loyal to a small number of omnipresent "classic" bands, we now choose from millions, with new ones appearing each month. Rock bands are marketed as popular music - fans come and go. It's much easier for current bands to fall prey to the one hit wonder syndrome or to maintain their popularity for 2 or 3 albums is an incredible feat in itself, unlike a couple of decades ago when bands continued to release record after record and their fans remained loyal throughout. I do believe, that like any other industry, the music industry runs in cycles, and therefore, we should (hopefully) see a resurgence in "classic" Rock bands soon probably in the form of backlash against Pop Rock. And then again, there are always the diehards of the past who continue to release Indie Rock in the hopes to reach the masses and build loyalty like the old rock bands of yesteryear. There are many like us who still believe in the way it was and bands who continue to live in an Anti-Pop Rock world. Elvis Manson being one of them.

what do u think?

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-02, 03:36 PM   #17
LV15
Absolute Bastard

and suddenly everything starts to make sense (nonce-sense that is)
Attached Images

LV15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-02, 03:41 PM   #18
SWATProteus
Arsonist

Hmmm

Posted By Diego:
Turn on your radio ffs..watch MTV..

Rap, be-bop, hip-hop, tip-top, flip-flop...whatever its called all that POP SHIT..its..it's..IT'S CRAP!

Respawned thoughts of:

"RAP music... sounds more like crap music"

<<SHUDDERS>>
80's flashbacks
SWATProteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-02, 10:19 PM   #19
JackSpratts

after hendrix, cream, hot tuna, the airplane and the doors etc i thought rock died in '72. went to europe for a year and listened to radio caroline and radio luxemburg. came back to the states in '73 and rock was still around. started djing on an fm station in hartford in '77 and watched the music change again as disco swept thru the formats. thought it died in '79. it didn't. watched new wave in the 80s, grunge, emo and a million other names arrive and heard rocks' obituary yet again. the 90's came and went with rock still around. it's now the longest lived major popular music genre in history so if it did die now it would own the title but i don't see it going anywhere anytime soon.

change isn't death but for whatever reason some people make that mistake when it comes to music in general and rock in particular. maybe it's because the music you hear during periods of intense self awareness like the teen years gets imprinted on your psyche as an authorized reality, and since those periods of heightened perception become less frequent in time, your background music tends to stay static and un changed. meanwhile the culture shifts and new music pours forth having the same profound effect on those younger ones going thru what you once did while leaving you curiously unaffected. since the new and old no longer match the explanation is the music died.

rocks' obituary’s been written so often it would embarrass a vampire – but i'm pretty sure it’ll be around long after most of todays’ formats are forgotten.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-02, 02:31 AM   #20
naz
-

Puke

50/50?

From The Daily Douchebag