P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > The Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Music Rhythm of the Underground.

Old 13-03-02, 08:12 PM   #1
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Default What song can't you find?

I have found almost every song I have ever looked for...but there are a couple that continue to elude me...one in particular is an old punk song from the early 80's called "That's Why I Always Dress In Black"...I think the band is called the BlackJacks...

so I was wondering what songs (if any) continue to elude others....?
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-02, 10:26 PM   #2
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

What The?

I was never able to find but a couple of songs from the Jimmy Spheeris album Isle of View, and those were very poor recordings from vinyl, which seemed a bit odd to me after I walked into a used record shop and found it on CD about 6 months ago.

Let's see... I could never find the whole Cabaret Voltaire album Arm of The Lord either.

Oh yeah, and there were literally about 20 albums, most notably the Self-Portrait series, by German pioneer synthesist Hans Joachim Roedelius that I never saw hide nor hair of. Also the album Material by Connie Plank and Moebius.

Ohhh, and In a Land of Clear Colours by Eno and Robert Sheckley, which I know for a fact was a very limited edition LP--(I used to have a pirate tape copy)--nary a trace. There were also ten albums in the "Obscure Records" series, produced by Brian Eno--I was able to find four of them: Gavin Bryars, The sinking of The Titanic, Harold Budd, The Pavilion of Dreams, Penguin Cafe Orchestra, Music from The Penguin Cafe, and of course Eno's own Discreet Music. I've since actually purchased all of the above on CD, but of the other 6--no trace. There was also a track from Byrne and Eno's My Life in the Bush of Ghosts called Qu'ran, which was omitted from the CD release, that I never found.

Yellow Magic Orchestra, the album BGM. WHERE IS IT? TELL ME!!!

Curiously I never found Snakefinger - Greener Postures in its entirety either, even though I recently purchased it from Amazon.com.

Also curiously, I never found so much as a cell of Bill Nelson's On a Blue Wing--anywhere, including Amazon. I assume it was never printed to CD.

Also, I hate Robert Fripp for remixing Exposure. The original only existed on vinyl, and in my opinion was far superior--if only because it matched my memory and the remix seemed alien. I downloaded a track from everyone I ever encountered who had it, but alas, the original was not to be found.

I also found all of the tracks from what I knew as David Bowie's Images 66-67 (yes, those are years) but many of them were disappointingly not the same versions I knew back when I hunted Brontosauruses on the veldt.

I searched high and low for the album Music and Rhythm which was a double album compilation that featured some great stuff, including the original version of Peter Gabriel's Across the River, which I did find, but all the other tracks were lost in the void.

Also a delightful little album called Miniatures which was comprised of about 60 different tracks ranging from 30 seconds to about a minute and a half by all kinds of crazy celebrities, many non-musicians, which was alternately absolutely hysterical and fascinating. There is a "Volume Two" of Miniatures available at Amazon, but no trace of the original was ever found.

There were others too... I used to have a big o' list. Sigh... Now you can see why I was a card-carrying obsessive/compulsive Napster addict. I searched for all this shit nearly every day... until I had the famous nervous breakdown. But, I must say that I haven't looked for any of this stuff in a long time--but post-Napster, finding it just seemed to get less and less likely, which is why I still don't even have a file sharing app installed.

I'm depressed now, I better ring for the nurse.
Ramona_A_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-02, 10:53 PM   #3
theknife

Quote:
Also, I hate Robert Fripp for remixing Exposure. The original only existed on vinyl, and in my opinion was far superior--if only because it matched my memory and the remix seemed alien. I downloaded a track from everyone I ever encountered who had it, but alas, the original was not to be found.
Funny you should mention that...I would love to have the track from Exposure that starts with the guy with the British accent talking about scientists predicting the next Great Flood and segues into Peter Gabriel's Here Comes The Flood....
Old 13-03-02, 11:12 PM   #4
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

From the scientific point of view it is now very likely that there will be again another Ice Age, quite soon, in the world, that we should have the north part of the world all frozen like it used to be, and we're beginning to have natural disasters. From the scientist's study it seems likely that we should soon begin to have a discreet change in the earth's climate so people will not be able to live where they have, and the oceans will rise, and many cities will be flooded, like London, and Calcutta, and so on. These things, they say, will happen, according to scientific theories, in about forty years at the most, but maybe even quicker.
--Water Music I, (John G. Bennett speaking)

Old 13-03-02, 11:43 PM   #5
theknife

Where in the world......oh, never mind

Thanks - I needed that.

Old 14-03-02, 07:41 AM   #6
Shani
Spagal

Arrow

cant find the name of the song that goes "lover lover lover, you dont treat me no good no more..."
Shani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-02, 08:51 AM   #7
theknife

Quote:
Originally posted by Shani
cant find the name of the song that goes "lover lover lover, you dont treat me no good no more..."
don't they all say that?
Old 14-03-02, 09:17 AM   #8
LV15
Absolute Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by Shani
call it a b'day present (belated)
LV15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-02, 08:54 PM   #9
JackSpratts

lesley duncan, moonbathing: "fine friends".

1)I Can See Where I'm Going (Lesley Duncan)
2)Heaven Knows (Horowitz/Duncan)
3)Moon Bathing (Lesley Duncan)
4)Rescue Me (Lesley Duncan)
5)Lady Step Lightly (Lesley Duncan)
6)Wooden Spoon (Lesley Duncan)
7)Pick Up The Phone (Lesley Duncan)
8)Helpless (Lesley Duncan)
9)Fine Friends (Lesley Duncan)
10)Jumped Right In The River (Lesley Duncan)
11)Rocking Chair (Horowitz/Duncan)

used vinyl available in holland but i've never found an mp3 on the net.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-02, 07:09 AM   #10
Shani
Spagal

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by LV15

call it a b'day present (belated)
thanks
Shani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-02, 12:30 PM   #11
MikeHunt
Unknown Legend

Cry

I'm really having trouble finding songs from....
: Jack Bruce & Friends ..album : I've Always Wanted To Do This.

I have the vinyl, but it never made it to CD.

Jack Bruce is accompanied by Clem Clemson...Dave Sancious..and Billy Cobham.

There is a file of one of the songs around - Hit and Run..and some other 'live' files of some of the songs.... with other musicians as well,.... but the original album versions of the songs seem non-existent. I've checked several P2P programs too.

Maybe someone out there with the vinyl could rip the album.
Its quite excellent actually.... Good enough, I would actually BUY the CD..( shudder the thought...lol)
Old 15-03-02, 09:59 PM   #12
napho
Dawn's private genie

AudioGalaxy has plenty of Jack Bruce and I posted an AG album download proggie here somewhere and there are clean versions of AG as well.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-02, 01:11 AM   #13
MikeHunt
Unknown Legend

Thanks..but ...its none of them...I have seen those files..yawn...but thanks anyhow.
Old 24-01-03, 08:36 PM   #14
theknife

Default Re: What song can't you find?

Quote:
Originally posted by theknife
I have found almost every song I have ever looked for...but there are a couple that continue to elude me...one in particular is an old punk song from the early 80's called "That's Why I Always Dress In Black"...I think the band is called the BlackJacks...

so I was wondering what songs (if any) continue to elude others....?
here we are,almost a year later and still searching for this song...i even managed to find a short history of the band. a classic tale of an 80's drug-induced musical train wreck of a band...

Quote:
At which point the band began to unravel. Blackjacks gigs were debauched, fucked-up affairs with constant brawls amongst audience members, and occasionally, among the band itself. At one Allston show, Mabry did a flying leap and landed directly on Angel's foot, and without missing a beat, the lead singer knocked the guitarist down with a right cross to the jaw. After the gig, Angel was out-of-control enraged, and his bandmates dosed his beer with Valium to try and sedate him, not knowing he'd already downed a handful of the benzo's. Out for three days.

And that was typical. Drunk, coked-up, stoned, wrecked on pills and heroin, the band got loonier and loonier as it got more popular, and its already wack fashion-sense went out the window....
this song has to survive somewhere

I know. This obsession is slightly pathetic.
Old 24-01-03, 09:22 PM   #15
Shani
Spagal

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramona_A_Stone

Yellow Magic Orchestra, the album BGM. WHERE IS IT? TELL ME!!!
im grabbing it off imesh at the moment.. did you ever find it?
Old 24-01-03, 09:42 PM   #16
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

Yes, thanks Shani.

Hello. My name is Ramona, and I'm an Ebayholic...

If you like that album (Cue and Camouflage are probably my favorite tracks) you'd probably like X oo*(*infinity symbol) Multiplies too. I especially love their version of Day Tripper. For some reason I can't get enough of Japanese boys trying to sing in English over those ancient synths.

Old 25-01-03, 06:22 PM   #17
Bronxie
Culo!

Screwy

A freestyle song by Sam Savon called "My Heart Alone"
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-03, 07:49 PM   #18
Bronxie
Culo!

Goofy

Quote:
Originally posted by Bronxie
A freestyle song by Sam Savon called "My Heart Alone"
FOUND IIIIIIIIT
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-03, 08:28 PM   #19
theknife

Default Re: Re: What song can't you find?

Quote:
Originally posted by theknife
here we are,almost a year later and still searching for this song...i even managed to find a short history of the band. a classic tale of an 80's drug-induced musical train wreck of a band...

this song has to survive somewhere

I know. This obsession is slightly pathetic.
ok, this is probably only interesting to me, but since i felt compelled to take this search public in the first place, i feel obligated to keep it updated.

at the bottom of the story in the link i posted above was an e-mail address...so, the other day, i sent an e-mail off to the address saying hi, i enjoyed the story of The BlackJack's, and by the way, would you know where i can find their (minor) hit (That's Why I Always) Dress In Black?

So, today I get the following reply:

Quote:
If and when I get another copy of the thing, I'll send it to you. Only have one left and I wrote the song.

Thanks, Johnny Angel .
So, apparently, I manged to find the artist/songwriter (who is, amazingly, still alive!), but I still can't find the #@$%&song.

It's a really is a great song. I swear.
Old 27-01-03, 11:43 PM   #20
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

Mr Knife: ?

P.S.--for my own update, I've found every single thing I originally mentioned on Ebay, even though yes, this is cheating, and EXCEPT for the Bill Nelson recording I mentioned, which I have since found was only ever released on tape, is currently owned and "locked down" by Sony/CBS, and which I'm betting Mr. Nelson himself probably doesn't even have a digital copy of either.