P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > The Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Music Rhythm of the Underground.

Old 27-04-03, 09:17 AM   #1
honeybee
2 smokes, lets go.

Default Goth music

Anyone listen to this type of music? Goth, industrial, death metal, etc....
Its a music genre I have not explored until recently and do not know much about.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-03, 08:09 AM   #2
greedy_lars
everything you do

Bauhaus
greedy_lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-03, 09:39 AM   #3
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by greedy_lars
Bauhaus
White on white translucent black capes
Back on the rack
Bela Lugosi's dead
The bats have left the bell tower
The victims have been bled
Red velvet lines the black box
Bela Lugosi's dead
Undead undead undead
The virginal brides file past his tomb
Strewn with time's dead flowers
Bereft in deathly bloom
Alone in a darkened room
The count
Bela Logosi's dead
Undead undead undead
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-03, 09:41 AM   #4
pod
Bumbling idiot

http://www.goth.net/faq/index.html#music
http://www.sfgoth.com/primer/

There's a ton of music in the dark/heavy/hard genres, covering pretty much every type of sound and mood imaginable. I've mostly mellowed out now, but I still enjoy an industrial or metal tune every so often... not into goth-type music really, too, hmm, plain and boring.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-03, 11:36 AM   #5
Shani
Spagal

i had this one song once, downloaded from a no ratio ftp site back in pre-napster days, called something like: pop will eat itself - ausoween, which i thought was goth..
Shani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-03, 11:52 AM   #6
honeybee
2 smokes, lets go.

Evil Black Grin

thanks for the links...they were helpful...
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-03, 12:03 PM   #7
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

In the Goth category I don't think it can be argued that Bauhaus rule and practically invented the genre.

Bela Lugosi's Dead is certainly a classic, but you also might try Rosegarden Funeral of Sores, Hollow Hills, In the Flat Field, The Passion of Lovers, Who Killed Mr. Moonlight, She's in Parties... and, hell, just about every song they ever wrote (or covered).

I also am a big fan of Peter Murphy (ex Bauhaus lead singer with about 8 solo albums) and he pretty much carries on the tradition of the quintessential aging glam vampire. Try songs like Socrates the Python, Indigo Eyes, The Answer is Clear, Shy, Marlene Dietrich's Favourite Poem, Cuts You Up, The Sweetest Drop, Our Secret Garden, or Huuvola... or just about every song he's written. lol

Industrial is a harder genre to pick a king, but for me it would have to be Skinny Puppy. They aren't really industrial in the hardcore quasi-experimental noise sense like early bands like Throbbing Gristle or Muslim Gauze or latter day bands like some Einsterzende Neubaten, they in fact approach being sort of subpop, but for me they represent everything good about industrialism.

Try songs like (early) Smothered Hope, Ice Breaker, Sleeping Beast, or later songs like Dig It, Second Tooth, Dogshit, Testure, Hexonxonx, or Worlock. The album Mind: The Perpetual Intercourse is an absolute classic. Later projects by ex-members of the Puppy are also good, but not as consistently--Pigface, Download, Ritalin etc. The Nivek Ogre solo album OhGr - Welt is probably for me the best of post Puppy. Try Water, Cracker, Lusid, Minus or especially Pore--awesome vocal manipulations and insane levels of distortion.

As far as (any adjective here) Metal--I don't really listen to it, so I can't help you there. (Unless King Crimson's last few albums can be called metal)
Ramona_A_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-03, 12:45 PM   #8
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

Speaking of Throbbing Gristle, I'd also mention Chris and Cosey (band name, ex members of T.G.) developed into a great latter day band that could probably be categorized as "goth"--although a lot of their mixes were distinctly "club" back in the day.

I'd recommend the album Exotika and the songs Beat Beat Beat, Dancing On Your Grave, or Dr. John (Sleeping Stephen) as a primer.
Old 28-04-03, 06:46 PM   #9
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramona_A_Stone
Speaking of Throbbing Gristle
Pic please
Old 28-04-03, 08:21 PM   #10
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

Throbbing Gristle (oh those zany mods!)

Chris and Cosey

Peter Murphy (Bauhaus -- from the opening scenes from the film The Hunger)

Nivek Ogre (in formal attire)
Old 29-04-03, 10:50 AM   #11
pod
Bumbling idiot

The industrial side spans many crossover genres, in fact I don't think you could say there is a definitive industrial sound. For me it's along the lines of FLA, as that's what I started out with, most will point you to Skinny Puppy. Note: most of the bands are extremely prolific, have many side-projects, and their discography covers a couple of decades, so there will be lots of variation.

Some industrial stuff to check out that I am familiar with.

Skinny Puppy/Download, Front Line Assembly, Velvet Acid Christ, Die Krupps, Nine Inch Nails, Rammstein, Sielwolf. For a darker, less aggressive sound, try early Delerium, Synaesthesia, Xorcist.

http://www.industrialmusic.com/
http://kzsu.stanford.edu/eklein/
http://www.metropolis-records.com/ I think ANYTHING released on Metropolis will put you in the genre.

Metal covers as much spectrum as industrial, if not more, as it's more 'rock' than industrial is, so there is tons more cross-overs and leakage to the mainstream. (Mainstream music is getting harder overall, and this pleases many people On one end (or corner) for example, it blends into industrial with such acts like Fear Factory and Ministry. I've been out of this scene for a while, but a friend of mine used to run an online zine for a few years, here is the links page: http://disemia.com/creation/links/
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-03, 10:32 PM   #12
greedy_lars
everything you do

First I heard of Bauhaus was the Bowie vampire movie The Hunger in da club scene Peter and crew do Bella. Some time later, a friend made me an assorted tape which included Bauhaus covers of Ziggy Stardust, and Thrid uncle, as well as Shes In Parties. Then eventually I picked up 79-83 (white cover) and Thwak!! there it was! This album kicks ass 20 ways to sunday! Double Dare, In The Flat Field, Stigmata Mayrtyr, God In An Alcove, ect ect. I love this disk.

The other compilation (Black cover) is also good, and it contains the aformentioned Bowie and Eno covers.

Then couple of years later, theres people that look like Bauhaus in the club scene running around all over the place. Strange.
greedy_lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-03, 10:55 AM   #13
multi
Thanks for being with arse

some stuff i consider goth:
The Cure
Bauhaus
Throbbing Gristle
Psychic TV
NiN
S.W.A.N.S
Sisters of Mercy
The Sisterhood
Birthday Party
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
Nurse with Wound
Einstürzende Neubaten
The Wreckery
This Mortal Coil
The Scientists
The Dirty Three
Beasts of Bourbon

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-03, 12:36 PM   #14
assorted
WAH!

though admittedly bauhaus was a forerunner it's criminal that Siouxsie & the Banshees have yet to be mentioned in this thread.

Siouxsie was a perfect blend of punk and goth, and her look essentially defined the future eighties goth movement. Join Hands (and "The Lords Prayer" off of it) was made 1 year before Bauhaus' first album and is a firm layering of ground for the whole goth scene to follow.

It's not just here that Siouxsie gets a bum rap. She was one the first, best and most influential alternative/punk acts from the seventies through the eighties and she gets essentially no credit for it. She's continued to make interesting, groundbreaking work with The Creatures, who people notice even less then the Banshees; hehe.
assorted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-03, 02:35 PM   #15
multi

Siouxsie & the Banshees yep forgot her...
robert smith from the cure played in that band, sometimes
what about nina hagen ?

diamanda galass (sp?)
Old 11-05-03, 09:22 AM   #16
multi

this is her....
Excerpt from Interview with Diamanda Galas

From Angry Women

RE/Search: What was your musical training?

Diamanda Galas: After many years of basic classical piano lessons, I studied these avant-garde piano works in university graduate school. Then I started playing with free jazz guys like David Murray, Butch Morris...post Albert Ayler, post-Coltrane musicians. At the time it was a very heavy black scene not open to women. But I had played piano for so many years that they couldn't deny I could do it.

After playing piano for awhile with all these guys from the post-Ornette Coleman school, I thought, "No, the voice is the first instrument." These players have always modeled their mode of expression after the voice. They revered singers like Billie Holiday; often, the way they played was a reaction to the voice. The voice is the primary vehicle of expression that transforms thought into sounds, thought into message. And beyond the words (with all due respect to them), the combinations of vocal and verbal energy can be overwhelming.

I started working on my AIDS project (Plague Mass) over two years before my brother became ill. Half my friends are HIV-positive; this is my life. These journalists who are outside the community look at my work and it scares them because it's the voice of the people who are sick themselves. Because it doesn't offer "entertainment," they can't imagine that people want to hear it. They look at music as a placating medium...I separated my work from a safe and useless concept of "music" back in 1974. Music that is truly meaningful contains a distillation of reality--and usually that's tragedy
Attached Images

Old 12-05-03, 05:23 AM   #17
multi

i think lydia lunch and maybe even patti smith and nico deserve a mention too...