Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-02, 11:55 AM   #3
twinspan
- a rascal -

Location: for security reasons, never the same as the President's

Quote:
Originally posted by Bronxie
Who?
Heheh, you're still upset Vince Clark left Depeche Mode to form Yazoo with Alison Moyet? it's only been, what, 17 years.

I liked some of the solo stuff she did after yazoo, but I ain't heard anything she's done lately.
twinspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-02, 12:36 PM   #4
Stoepsel
Waiting For The Night To Fall...

Quote:
Originally posted by twinspan
Heheh, you're still upset Vince Clark left Depeche Mode to form Yazoo with Alison Moyet? it's only been, what, 17 years.

I liked some of the solo stuff she did after yazoo, but I ain't heard anything she's done lately.
And for you people in the USA, the band Yazoo that twinspan mentioned went under the name Yaz in the States. Their big hit: Don't Go, an all time 80's synthpop classic.

Here's her biography taken from her website:

Following an eight-year gap, Alison Moyet is set to return to the music scene with a spectacular album of new material. With a career spanning two decades, she has established herself as one of the country's most significant talents, with album sales of over 20-million and three Brit Awards to date.

Alison Moyet's exceptional voice first came to the world's attention when she was half of Yazoo, the hugely successful synth-pop duo she founded in 1981 with former Depeche Mode keyboard player Vince Clarke. Their innovative sound redefined dance music, blending cutting edge electronica with vocals drenched in soul.

From their first single, in May 82, the massive hit Only You, they were immediately set apart from their contemporaries, their groundbreaking sound matched by experimental visuals and sensuous imagery. Yazoo's debut album, Upstairs at Eric's in July '82 showed the full potential of this unlikely pairing with its extraordinary range, juxtaposing dark, brooding songs with synth-funk up tempo numbers, all underpinned by Alison's powerhouse vocal.

A string of hit singles followed, with their reputation enhanced by a rapturously received nationwide tour towards the end of the year. Their talent was recognized with the Brit Award for Best British Newcomer in 1983. It was followed in July 1983 by Yazoo's second album, You And Me Both which entered the charts at number one. Despite the enormous critical and commercial success attained, the duo decided to go their separate ways, leaving a remarkably enduring legacy given the brevity of their time together.

Alison immediately began work as a solo artist. Within a year she released her solo debut album, Alf which reached number one and sold over 1.5 million copies in the UK alone. The album spawned three hit singles in the UK (Love Resurrection, All Cried Out and Invisible) and won her the Brit Award for Best British Female Solo Artist in 1985. The album took root in the UK charts for nearly two years, with Invisible breaking Alison into the US top 40 for the first time.

In 1985 she took a break from pop music, embarking on a tour with a jazz band led by John Altman. Among the jazz standards she performed was the Billie Holiday classic That Old Devil Called Love which gave Alison her biggest UK hit to date, climbing to number 2 in April of that year. That year also saw her appear alongside Paul Young at Live Aid.

Late in 1986, Alison made a spectacular return to the pop world with the single Is This Love? which reached number three and stayed in the charts for 16 weeks. It preceded her second solo album, Raindancing early the next year which saw her reclaim the Best British Female Solo Artist Brit Award and featured a further hit single, Weak In The Presence Of Beauty. 1987 ended with another success, her powerful cover of Love Letters, which was the last that was heard from her for a while, as she took time out with her family.

Her self-imposed exile was broken in 1991 when she returned with a UK tour and Hoodoo, an album which saw her stretch herself creatively, its diversity winning her great acclaim. She demonstrated her exceptional range, with a set that went from raw rock to deep soul via gospel and produced four singles, as well as a Grammy nomination for the track 'It Won't Be Long.'

Essex came next in 1994, with the album and its three singles developing the themes she began to explore in Hoodoo. Although Alison continued to write and record music, and has guested over the years with such diverse talents as James Brown, Tricky and the Lightning Seeds, this was her new last album release until now. Two retrospectives, a singles collection in 1995 and The Essential in 2001 have served as a reminder of her unique talent.

2001 saw Alison make her acting debut, starring alongside Denise Van Outen in the hit West End musical Chicago. This return to the public eye persuaded her it was time to release the album she had been working on for three years. She signed to Sanctuary Records earlier this year and Hometime, described by Eve magazine as "the best album of her career" will be released in August. It was produced by The Insects, known for their Emmy-award winning soundtrack work and collaborations with Goldfrapp and Massive Attack, and the album, which is largely self penned by Alison, was recorded in Bristol last year.
Old 18-10-02, 06:16 PM   #5
Bronxie
Culo!

Quote:
Originally posted by Stoepsel

And for you people in the USA, the band Yazoo that twinspan mentioned went under the name Yaz in the States. Their big hit: Don't Go, an all time 80's synthpop classic.
That song roxx. I'm gonna dl it right now
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-02, 08:37 AM   #6
Jadesun
Queen of Sneak

Alison Moyet - I likes Invisible

(`'·.¸(`'·.¸¸.·'´)¸.·'´)
«¸¸©Jadesun¸¸»
(¸.·'´(¸.·'´`'·.¸)`'·.¸)

May each sun find you well
Jadesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-03, 12:24 PM   #7
Jadesun
Queen of Sneak

Quote:
Originally posted by twinspan

Yazoo and Yaz....aren't they one in the same

(`'·.¸(`'·.¸¸.·'´)¸.·'´)
«¸¸©Jadesun¸¸»
(¸.·'´(¸.·'´`'·.¸)`'·.¸)

Old 04-07-03, 01:55 PM   #8
Stoepsel
Waiting For The Night To Fall...

*cough* *cough*

Quote:
And for you people in the USA, the band Yazoo that twinspan mentioned went under the name Yaz in the States.
Old 11-07-03, 05:08 AM   #9
Jadesun
Queen of Sneak

Quote:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
I love it!!

(`'·.¸(`'·.¸¸.·'´)¸.·'´)
«¸¸©Jadesun¸¸»
(¸.·'´(¸.·'´`'·.¸)`'·.¸)