P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 03-07-02, 02:08 PM   #1
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Angry Recording companies plan lawsuits against individuals...

Just saw a link to this article in a post at Zeropaid...
Quote:
Music labels go after song-swappers

Recording companies plan lawsuits against individuals

By Anna Wilde Mathews and Bruce Orwall
THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

July 3
— Major music companies are preparing to mount a broad new attack on unauthorized online song-swapping. The campaign would include suits against individuals who are offering the largest troves of songs on peer-to-peer services.

THE BIG recording companies, working through their trade association, the Recording Industry Association of America, are moving toward filing copyright lawsuits that would target the highest volume song providers within the services, which allow people to grab songs without paying artists or labels, according to people with knowledge of the matter. The suits would be part of a broader effort, including a public campaign that may feature prominent artists urging music fans to respect copyright rules. More
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-02, 03:27 PM   #2
goldie
yea, it's me.

Very Angry oh shit

(look out Hal and JS, they're comin' to git U - the Boogeyman's comin'.

Damn them

How do we fight back?!

Then again, our numbers are huge and growing larger everyday.

Edited to add: I was just thinking (after I posted) that this smells, feels, looks like one of the most absolute desperate actions the RIAA croonies could ever take.

When are they going to get a clue and realize that filesharing IS all about revolution.

The people are speaking loud and clear. Our actions are speaking volumes yet the "industry" remains deaf and dumb.

They care not for the customers' wants and needs and to this I say: You'd better hurry up and get that clue real quick - before it's too late.

This here is WAR!

Last edited by goldie : 03-07-02 at 03:44 PM.
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-02, 03:44 PM   #3
napho
Dawn's private genie

Intimidation tactics like this will definitely have an impact.
btw Hal and JS, in the Big House DON'T bend down if you drop the soap!!!
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-02, 03:48 PM   #4
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

...been wondering when this day was coming.

The Big Chill
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-02, 03:49 PM   #5
JackSpratts

the time has come for this matter to be settled in the courts. the right of an individual to lend copyrighted material for no profit has been an integral part of copyright law for ever, or at least for as long as copyright law has existed here in america. that technology has continuously made the distribution and reproduction of such material easier doesn’t alter the law's basic thrust. any change in this philosophy would have far reaching consequences, well beyond p2p's themselves. think libraries, think radio stations (those profit making entities alone allow copying on massive scales). think reading aloud.

i don't relish getting dragged into court by by greedy shortsighted recording artists and their riaa weasels, but if it means re-establishing once and for all the rights we now take for granted, i'll consider it a fair trade.

- js.

If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of exclusive property, it is the action of the thinking power called an idea, which an individual may exclusively possess as long as he keeps it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into the possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of it. Its peculiar character, too, is that no one possesses the less, because every other possesses the whole of it. He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lites his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. That ideas should freely spread from one to another over the globe, for the moral and mutual instruction of man, and improvement of his condition, seems to have been peculiarly and benevolently designed by nature, when she made them, like fire, expansible over all space, without lessening their density at any point, and like the air in which we breathe, move, and have our physical being, incapable of confinement, or exclusive appropriation. Inventions then cannot, in nature, be a subject of property.

- Thomas Jefferson, the first U.S. Patent Commissioner - 1813.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-02, 04:36 PM   #6
theknife

Quote:
think reading aloud.
Did you know that, if you download an e-book version of Alice In Wonderland, there is actually a prohibition in the user agreement against reading the story aloud? That's how far gone it all is....

...and Jack is right (as usual). You live in a world where content holders can forbid you from "reproducing" a copyrighted work by reading it to your kids. Perhaps it is time to take this all to court.

Perhaps the establishment of a legal fund, in preparation for the upcoming legal festivities, would help to level the playing field?
Old 03-07-02, 05:36 PM   #7
blinksalone2

no matter what anyways says or does, the court of law will mean nothing to p2p filesharing. they can crack down, but its just to late for this. *keyword* decentralization,
besides the reason why is because evidently this is a breach of freedom, under the constitution.
blinksalone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-02, 07:00 PM   #8
Scyth

Quote:
Originally posted by blinksalone2
this is a breach of freedom, under the constitution.
How so?
Scyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-02, 07:40 PM   #9
theknife

Quote:
Originally posted by Scyth

How so?
that's what i was wondering....

actually, with all due respect Blinksalone, I think you're out to lunch...a couple of well-publicized lawsuits would have a chilling effect on P2p. i think the amount of content available would drop like a rock....
Old 03-07-02, 08:04 PM   #10
Philanthropy

Necessity is the mother of invention they say, this will create a much greater push for security in p2p, much as Freenet, filetopia, and Bearshare 4.0 have been moving toward. I don't agree with the pessimists who say that a few publicized lawsuits will destroy file-sharing, it's true that many users will quit in fear, but whether they quit or not, one thing is certain, the public's hatred against the RIAA will be hardened. I think that legal actions against consumers could spell the end of the big five.
This is all out war from now on, we must be dilligent.
My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.-John 15:12

The proletariot have nothing to lose but their chains. Workers of the world, Unite! -Karl Marx
Philanthropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-02, 08:53 AM   #11
nanook
just one of the gang...

wonderful quote from Thomas Jefferson, spratt!!!

this is just the beginning people.
as you have all said, "this is war".
these small steps will enlighten the world about the bigger picture, that, which is quoted by Thomas Jefferson.

is it time that "intellectual property" and an "idea" be scrutinized even further, to settle all of this once and for all, as Jack and knife suggest?

looks like a long road ahead.

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-02, 07:01 PM   #12
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Angry Music labels go after song-swappers

After reading or posting this on several Forums, I thought it might be interesting to read what some of the responses were:

Catflap Central BBoard

FastTrack Central

KaZaA Chat!

Zeropaid.com
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-02, 09:27 PM   #13
theknife

Apparently,silence is also "intellectual property".
Old 05-07-02, 07:08 AM   #14
goldie
yea, it's me.

Default Re: Music labels go after song-swappers

Quote:
Originally posted by BuzzB2K
After reading or posting this on several Forums, I thought it might be interesting to read what some of the responses were:

Catflap Central BBoard

FastTrack Central

KaZaA Chat!

Zeropaid.com
Wow Buzz!

I read your post and thought I'd better get another cup of coffee since there would be some long, deep discussion going on........

You mean no one gives a da#n?!!

THIS I find hard to believe!!!
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-02, 08:50 AM   #15
dead_frog
Oddball

Big Wheeling Grin

Well, most visitors to Fasttrack central only look in the Movies/TV section for Scooby Doo quicklinks
dead_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-02, 10:17 AM   #16
spstn
No Nonsense Nonsense

Big Laugh No Absolute Silence

Since it can be proven that there is NOT absolute silence coming out of ANY electronic equipment, NO two silences can be a perfect match, thus nullifying & voiding the alleged copyright violation.

Keeping the two CDs side by side without playing them won't do the trick either because of ambience's background noise.

Even the human ear is incapable of hearing total silence. Tiny hair- like receptors in the middle ear I believe, vibrate spontaneously generating a residual "ringing" (at around 1 Khz & up I believe) that's constantly heard in the background by every human being (even deaf ones) to a degree or another.

They can always claim a violation in the vacuum of outer space where total silence is the rule, but then any monetary damage would be limited to astronauts & members of the Space Station.

The defendant in that case may very well use the ear internal "ringing" defense.

I believe they have a valid point there.

Furthermore, naming a song "Silence...etc..." under these circumstances turns its listening into an oxymoronic experirence, IMHO.

Ps: Those tiny receptors are the first ones to die when exposed to sound-noise exceeding 130 db for long periods of time (ie:loud concerts & portable players). They are not replaceable by any means, and are the main cause for most of the progressive deafness going around young people.
spstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-02, 10:43 AM   #17
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

Default Re: No Absolute Silence

Quote:
Originally posted by spstn
Since it can be proven that there is NOT absolute silence coming out of ANY electronic equipment, NO two silences can be a perfect match, thus nullifying & voiding the alleged copyright violation.

Keeping the two CDs side by side without playing them won't do the trick either because of ambience's background noise.

Even the human ear is incapable of hearing total silence. Tiny hair- like receptors in the middle ear I believe, vibrate spontaneously generating a residual "ringing" (at around 1 Khz & up I believe) that's constantly heard in the background by every human being (even deaf ones) to a degree or another.

They can always claim a violation in the vacuum of outer space where total silence is the rule, but then any monetary damage would be limited to astronauts & members of the Space Station.

The defendant in that case may very well use the ear internal "ringing" defense.

I believe they have a valid point there.

Furthermore, naming a song "Silence...etc..." under these circumstances turns its listening into an oxymoronic experirence, IMHO.

Ps: Those tiny receptors are the first ones to die when exposed to sound-noise exceeding 130 db for long periods of time (ie:loud concerts & portable players). They are not replaceable by any means, and are the main cause for most of the progressive deafness going around young people.
i never knew this and oddly enough..it fascinated me.
butterfly_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-02, 08:04 AM   #18
theknife

So, if you played both cd's in the woods where no one was around to hear them, would you have violated any copyright laws?
Old 06-07-02, 02:24 PM   #19
spstn
No Nonsense Nonsense

Big Laugh Not Even in the Woods

There's always the ONE person playing the CDs. That takes care of the NO ONE.

But with the unavoidable noise introduced by the player, the woods' background noise, and the incapability of the human ear to hear silence NO two silences can ever be a perfect match or even alike, ergo nullifying and voiding any alleged infringement.

The Gordian Knot is the impossibility to come up with uncolored, pristine perfect, one of a kind SILENCE that could be perceived as such either by human or machine (alike?).

Ps: We are ALWAYS listening SOMETHING wether we want it or not.

Last edited by spstn : 06-07-02 at 02:38 PM.
spstn is offline   Reply With Quote